Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone have experience with a 300 Rem Ultra Mag?

A guy from church introduced me to his son (who apparently has some pretty deep pockets based on some of the stuff he's purchased). Problem is he doesn't hardly shoot at all. He likes to hunt and they go out some elaborate outings from time to time. Colorado, Alaska, Canada, etc but they don't shoot much and they don't really know much about guns. I guess that's what you get for owning an oil company.

For example he just got a .338 Lapua with all the Tracking Point stuff. Uh, yeah that stuff isn't cheap. I don't even think he ever shot it yet. His dad has some other stuff too. A .338, 50 BMG, and a lot of other things... and none of them get shot more than once or twice a year at best, if that.

Anyway he just bought a .300 Ultra Mag with some kind of Nightforce scope, hence the purpose of this thread. First thing I did was sent him to a gunsmith that I know so he can get his scope mounts lapped and mounted correctly and possibly to get his action glass bedded.

He wants to get into reloading and wants to have a place to shoot so I am going to take him out to stretch the legs on that thing. His dad lives out here almost in the country but the son lives in the city so he doesn't have anywhere to really shoot.

I basically agreed to help get him lined out and take him shooting. I can work up loads really easy here at the house. We can put together loads inside and walk out and test it, get him on paper, work up ladders, etc. No biggie. As a trade off I get to shoot all that crazy stuff they own but never shoot. Ammo is all on them.

Anyway I've never actually shot a Ultra Mag. I've shot the heck out of Win Mag but not the Ultra Mag so I need to familiarize myself with it. I am going to try to work all this in (depending on him) before I move overseas...but long story short I am going to get him zeroed and work up some loads for him but I figured I would throw it out there and see what kind of responses I could get.

It looks like his rifle has a 20 MOA rail on it but I have no idea what kind of mount he has ordered. He was asking me for suggestions but I am going to wait to see what he actually has before I say much about that part. All he has now is a rifle, a scope that isn't attached or mounted, some brass, and a lot of reloading books.

If you ever shot this kind of rifle or have any input about the round please feel free to share your experience.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just ordered one for a customer today , I shot one a couple weeks ago with some high end hillbillys and that thing was a laser & reminded me not all guns are like my soft shooting ar's . I dont know much about that specific cartridge other then they use it for elk & moose etc . If they come into the shop or I see them at the range i will inquire for you .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    Just ordered one for a customer today , I shot one a couple weeks ago with some high end hillbillys and that thing was a laser & reminded me not all guns are like my soft shooting ar's . I dont know much about that specific cartridge other then they use it for elk & moose etc . If they come into the shop or I see them at the range i will inquire for you .
    This guy is one of the high end hillbillies too. Actually they are country folk who are really educated. Engineers of all sorts making all kind of equipment for the oil industry. Not exactly broke.

I'm guessing he will either come out and shoot here every now and then, and if possible hit up the 1,400 yard range. I asked him about it and he wants to use it for his annual hunts. He said "I hope to get it out to 800 yards"... I was like are you kidding me? With that? He said after 800 yards it's just a hobby thing that he would like to do.

Anyway we will probably work up two loads for him...one for hunting and one for hitting that 1,400 yard plate....and teach him all the nuts and bolts as far as I know them, then I can hand him off to a friend who REALLY knows his stuff. Shooting up hill at a 15 degree slope in a 10mph crosswind at 1000 yards up at 7000 foot elevation....stuff like that. LOL!

They are super nice people. But hell, I will work up a couple loads for the 'all I can shoot .50 BMG' and 'let's see how much we can shoot a .338 Lapua' any time I want to go kind of thing...

Not much downside to that deal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My hillbilly's are loggers and spend big money on their hunting gear .....definitely on suspenders & romeos also .
    If you can get me more data like barrel length , projectile & powder I can do some Quickload workups for you to get you in the ball park .

Downloads
    Uploads
    This was yesterday at the range and the second sunny day we have had in a while

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    My hillbilly's are loggers and spend big money on their hunting gear .....definitely on suspenders & romeos also .
    If you can get me more data like barrel length , projectile & powder I can do some Quickload workups for you to get you in the ball park .
    26" barrel. 1:10 twist. I am going to help him pick out some bullets. Probably will start with some Berger bullets but not really sure yet. Primers and powder are still TBD. I just hung up the phone with him earlier this evening.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ill play around with some Berger loads .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are some powders it suggests to run the 185gr Juggernaut around 3100 about the max velocity ..........I'm just starting to learn how to use Quickload and this is just to get you in the ballpark for test loads .
    Hodgdon H870
    ReloadSwiss RS 80
    Alliant Reloder-33
    Vihtavuori N570
    Alliant Reloder-50
    Norma 217
    ADI AR 2225
    Hodgdon Retumbo
    Vihtavuori N560
    ADI AR 2213
    IMR 7828
    IMR 7828 SSC
    Accurate MAGPRO
    PB Clermont PCL 517
    SNPE Vectan SP 12
    Bofors RP30
    Norma MRP 2
    ADI AR 2218
    Last edited by Sak007; 23 May 2017 at 00:46.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is for the Berger 215gr Hybrid at 2900fps

ReloadSwiss RS 80
    Alliant Reloder-33
    Hodgdon US 869
    Hodgdon 50BMG
    Vihtavuori N160
    Somchem 12.7-0
    Vihtavuori 20N29
    IMR 7977 Enduron
    SNPE Vectan SP 13
    Alliant Reloder-25
    Vihtavuori N570
    Hodgdon H870
    Vihtavuori N170
    Vihtavuori N165
    ADI AR 2218
    IMR 7828
    Norma MRP 2
    Bofors RP30
    IMR 4955 Enduron
    Hodgdon H1000
    ADI AR 2217
    ADI AP 2214
    Alliant Reloder-50
    Lovex D100
    NC A3502 ,test only
    Vihtavuori 24N41
    Hodgdon H4831
    Last edited by Sak007; 23 May 2017 at 01:05.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Berger 230gr Hybrid the highest bc in a 30 cal at 2800fps
    Alliant Reloder-50
    ADI AR 2218
    SNPE Vectan SP 13
    ReloadSwiss RS 80
    Accurate 8700
    Vihtavuori 20N29
    Hodgdon 50BMG
    Hodgdon US 869
    IMR 7828
    Winchester WXR
    Bofors RP15
    Alliant Reloder-33
    Vihtavuori N570
    Vihtavuori 24N41
    Bofors RP30
    Norma MRP 2
    ADI AP 2214
    ADI AR 2217
    Hodgdon H1000
    Hodgdon H870
    PB Clermont PCL 517
    SNPE Vectan SP 12
    NC A3502 ,test only
    ADI AR 2225
    Hodgdon Retumbo
    Norma 217
    Hodgdon Retumbo
    ADI AR 2225
    Norma 217
    Accurate 8700
    Alliant Reloder-23

Downloads
    Uploads
    I need to help him pick out a good scope mount for his new rifle. This is priority for the time being. 34mm tube for a nightforce atacr 5-25x56 f1. He has a 20 moa rail base installed already but don't let that persuade suggestions one way or another.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tasco rings, for sure

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Tasco rings, for sure
    Oh yeah. That's gonna work for like 2 and a half seconds! LOL!