Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tibet
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Talking Good electronic ear protection under $100?

    I'm hoping to buy my first set of electronic earmuffs for shooting soon.
    I'm the type that puts a fair amount of research into a product before I buy to ensure a good value, and that it fits 'me.' I'm okay with spending money when it's worth it, but I'm usually on a budget or try to keep things reasonable.
    Many people on YouTube recommend the 3M Peltor Tactical Sport earmuffs. These seem like great ears, but are a bit steep for what I'm looking for right now. Keeping these in mind.
    There are also a ton of positive reviews for the Howard Leght Impact Sport, as well as some fair criticism.
    The Opsmen earmor M31 earmuffs are the other pair I'm eyeing at a decent price point. I haven't seen more than a couple reviews one way or the other, but these appear to be pretty good.
    My question to the community, especially to anyone who owns either or both of these specific brands of ear protection is - which one gets the solid recommendation?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    607
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    I have an older pair of the tactical sport. I like them, but they don't stay on firmly enough when I've shouldered a rifle(EDIT: Especially prone). I bought a pair of custom molded hunting ear plugs (non electric) and I like them a lot for general range use. However, when a guy with an SBR or muzzle brake is next to me, I double up and put the peltors on over the ear plugs.

    My opinion, if you are going to go out a lot, get a quality set like the Peltors, and have back up foams just in case. Just like eye pro, don't skimp. Buy once, and cry never since you can't replace your eyes and ears.
    Last edited by cjd3; 25 May 2017 at 23:38.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,839
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    I think you need to take into account more factors.

    For example I do several types of shooting (as does everyone here). Pistols, I love my SBR, but I also love prone shooting off of a bipod. Typically it's the latter that has given me trouble with certain muffs. Some muffs are big thick fat designs that don't lend well to my positioning when I shoot prone. When I get down there with my cheek and eye and all that if my muffs are banging around on the stock it gets annoying.

    End of the story is make sure you get the right tool for the job. If you are like me your muffs can work for A and B but not so good for C. But if you get some for C it will work with A and B too.

    I would say start with that and then narrow your choices down according to need and get some input based on your trial and error and your own weeding out process.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    7,592
    Downloads
    10
    Uploads
    4
    I would recommend not going budget on your ear pro. I use Sordin Supreme Pro X and to me they are one of the best shooting investments I've made. Most of my friends use budget electronic ear pro, and they will admit that there is a big difference between their's and mine. For me it is well worth saving up a little extra to get the desired ear pro.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Florida - Gulf Side
    Posts
    1,817
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    2
    +1 ... What Ghost said. And, welcome to WEVO.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    2,170
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    +2.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    159
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    If you have decent IEMs, you can try using this with your phone, along with passive muffs: http://www.essency.co.uk/gunshot-suppressor-android/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    2,604
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I would recommend not going budget on your ear pro. I use Sordin Supreme Pro X and to me they are one of the best shooting investments I've made. Most of my friends use budget electronic ear pro, and they will admit that there is a big difference between their's and mine. For me it is well worth saving up a little extra to get the desired ear pro.
    Funny, I just ordered a pair a couple of days ago. Left mine on the bench, and by the time I got home and realized it, I went back. Some lizard stole my freaking muffs. Some folks don't recommend it, but I use foam plugs with my muffs, too. GOST, did you steal my freaking muffs? $258 at Amazon w/free shipping, they're great but a little on the expensive side

    I have some significant hearing loss from the MIL and some "factory ear" during my engineering gigs. GOST is right, I know they are a bit expensive, but you can't get that hearing loss back at any price. I also second his advice, and I don't think you can get a better value for the money. Some times saving money is not really a good idea, especially for eyes and ears.

    One last thing, I don't know about anyone else, but when I started using electronic muffs, it took me a bit to get used to them, but not enough to cause any real concern.

    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    7,592
    Downloads
    10
    Uploads
    4
    FT it may have been my wife, she got mine for me since I'm to cheap.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    2,604
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    FT it may have been my wife, she got mine for me since I'm to cheap.
    Might as well keep them now, the replacements should be here today or tomorrow.

    I bet you one thing though, if I have to tie them to my arm, I won't leave another pair at the range.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    153
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Impact sports paired with sonic defenders.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    2,604
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    FalconSolid,

    I realize that we all failed to recommend $100 or under electronic muffs, but it's not because we don't understand that people have priorities, and that also includes personal budgets. I think most of us can at least agree on that much.

    I just don't want to see you get a pair of low end muffs, and then realize that they're really not that much better than a pair of $80 standard muffs. Then try them against a pair of premium muffs, and be let down, and also out $100 bucks for the cheaper pair, and will still want better muffs. That's all. I've made similar mistakes like that before. And sometimes I still pick the budget item, and they work beautifully. I don't think so much for electronic muffs though.

    I think few others recommended the more wallet friendly versions, because we've all tried different price ranges, and were getting true and measurable value for our money when coughing up the dough for the "premium" electronic muffs. I know for me it was worth the extra cash, and if you can squeeze it out will be well spent, and you'll appreciate the difference. For a much better explanation of what I tried to say, go here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...589D&FORM=VIRE

    Good luck, no matter what you choose to do.

    FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 26 May 2017 at 18:13.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    2,604
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    FT it may have been my wife, she got mine for me since I'm to cheap.
    Cool. I hope the head and crab lice I had crawled into the electronics, which results in a short and flames shooting in your ears!...
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    67
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I like my Howard leights. They fit pretty good and they do a good job.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tibet
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    FalconSolid,

    I realize that we all failed to recommend $100 or under electronic muffs, but it's not because we don't understand that people have priorities, and that also includes personal budgets. I think most of us can at least agree on that much.

    I just don't want to see you get a pair of low end muffs, and then realize that they're really not that much better than a pair of $80 standard muffs. Then try them against a pair of premium muffs, and be let down, and also out $100 bucks for the cheaper pair, and will still want better muffs. That's all. I've made similar mistakes like that before. And sometimes I still pick the budget item, and they work beautifully. I don't think so much for electronic muffs though.

    I think few others recommended the more wallet friendly versions, because we've all tried different price ranges, and were getting true and measurable value for our money when coughing up the dough for the "premium" electronic muffs. I know for me it was worth the extra cash, and if you can squeeze it out will be well spent, and you'll appreciate the difference. For a much better explanation of what I tried to say, go here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...589D&FORM=VIRE

    Good luck, no matter what you choose to do.

    FT

    Thank you FT and all of you for offering advice!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •