Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Good electronic ear protection under $100?

I'm hoping to buy my first set of electronic earmuffs for shooting soon.
    I'm the type that puts a fair amount of research into a product before I buy to ensure a good value, and that it fits 'me.' I'm okay with spending money when it's worth it, but I'm usually on a budget or try to keep things reasonable.
    Many people on YouTube recommend the 3M Peltor Tactical Sport earmuffs. These seem like great ears, but are a bit steep for what I'm looking for right now. Keeping these in mind.
    There are also a ton of positive reviews for the Howard Leght Impact Sport, as well as some fair criticism.
    The Opsmen earmor M31 earmuffs are the other pair I'm eyeing at a decent price point. I haven't seen more than a couple reviews one way or the other, but these appear to be pretty good.
    My question to the community, especially to anyone who owns either or both of these specific brands of ear protection is - which one gets the solid recommendation?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an older pair of the tactical sport. I like them, but they don't stay on firmly enough when I've shouldered a rifle(EDIT: Especially prone). I bought a pair of custom molded hunting ear plugs (non electric) and I like them a lot for general range use. However, when a guy with an SBR or muzzle brake is next to me, I double up and put the peltors on over the ear plugs.

My opinion, if you are going to go out a lot, get a quality set like the Peltors, and have back up foams just in case. Just like eye pro, don't skimp. Buy once, and cry never since you can't replace your eyes and ears.
    Last edited by cjd3; 25 May 2017 at 23:38.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you need to take into account more factors.

For example I do several types of shooting (as does everyone here). Pistols, I love my SBR, but I also love prone shooting off of a bipod. Typically it's the latter that has given me trouble with certain muffs. Some muffs are big thick fat designs that don't lend well to my positioning when I shoot prone. When I get down there with my cheek and eye and all that if my muffs are banging around on the stock it gets annoying.

End of the story is make sure you get the right tool for the job. If you are like me your muffs can work for A and B but not so good for C. But if you get some for C it will work with A and B too.

I would say start with that and then narrow your choices down according to need and get some input based on your trial and error and your own weeding out process.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would recommend not going budget on your ear pro. I use Sordin Supreme Pro X and to me they are one of the best shooting investments I've made. Most of my friends use budget electronic ear pro, and they will admit that there is a big difference between their's and mine. For me it is well worth saving up a little extra to get the desired ear pro.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I would recommend not going budget on your ear pro. I use Sordin Supreme Pro X and to me they are one of the best shooting investments I've made. Most of my friends use budget electronic ear pro, and they will admit that there is a big difference between their's and mine. For me it is well worth saving up a little extra to get the desired ear pro.
    Funny, I just ordered a pair a couple of days ago. Left mine on the bench, and by the time I got home and realized it, I went back. Some lizard stole my freaking muffs. Some folks don't recommend it, but I use foam plugs with my muffs, too. GOST, did you steal my freaking muffs? $258 at Amazon w/free shipping, they're great but a little on the expensive side

I have some significant hearing loss from the MIL and some "factory ear" during my engineering gigs. GOST is right, I know they are a bit expensive, but you can't get that hearing loss back at any price. I also second his advice, and I don't think you can get a better value for the money. Some times saving money is not really a good idea, especially for eyes and ears.

One last thing, I don't know about anyone else, but when I started using electronic muffs, it took me a bit to get used to them, but not enough to cause any real concern.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 ... What Ghost said. And, welcome to WEVO.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    +2.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have decent IEMs, you can try using this with your phone, along with passive muffs: http://www.essency.co.uk/gunshot-suppressor-android/

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT it may have been my wife, she got mine for me since I'm to cheap.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Might as well keep them now, the replacements should be here today or tomorrow.

I bet you one thing though, if I have to tie them to my arm, I won't leave another pair at the range.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool. I hope the head and crab lice I had crawled into the electronics, which results in a short and flames shooting in your ears!...
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Impact sports paired with sonic defenders.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FalconSolid,

I realize that we all failed to recommend $100 or under electronic muffs, but it's not because we don't understand that people have priorities, and that also includes personal budgets. I think most of us can at least agree on that much.

I just don't want to see you get a pair of low end muffs, and then realize that they're really not that much better than a pair of $80 standard muffs. Then try them against a pair of premium muffs, and be let down, and also out $100 bucks for the cheaper pair, and will still want better muffs. That's all. I've made similar mistakes like that before. And sometimes I still pick the budget item, and they work beautifully. I don't think so much for electronic muffs though.

I think few others recommended the more wallet friendly versions, because we've all tried different price ranges, and were getting true and measurable value for our money when coughing up the dough for the "premium" electronic muffs. I know for me it was worth the extra cash, and if you can squeeze it out will be well spent, and you'll appreciate the difference. For a much better explanation of what I tried to say, go here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...589D&FORM=VIRE

Good luck, no matter what you choose to do.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 26 May 2017 at 18:13.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    FalconSolid,

I realize that we all failed to recommend $100 or under electronic muffs, but it's not because we don't understand that people have priorities, and that also includes personal budgets. I think most of us can at least agree on that much.

I just don't want to see you get a pair of low end muffs, and then realize that they're really not that much better than a pair of $80 standard muffs. Then try them against a pair of premium muffs, and be let down, and also out $100 bucks for the cheaper pair, and will still want better muffs. That's all. I've made similar mistakes like that before. And sometimes I still pick the budget item, and they work beautifully. I don't think so much for electronic muffs though.

I think few others recommended the more wallet friendly versions, because we've all tried different price ranges, and were getting true and measurable value for our money when coughing up the dough for the "premium" electronic muffs. I know for me it was worth the extra cash, and if you can squeeze it out will be well spent, and you'll appreciate the difference. For a much better explanation of what I tried to say, go here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...589D&FORM=VIRE

FT

Thank you FT and all of you for offering advice!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    FalconSolid,

FT
    Well said FT.