Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    FalconSolid,

I realize that we all failed to recommend $100 or under electronic muffs, but it's not because we don't understand that people have priorities, and that also includes personal budgets. I think most of us can at least agree on that much.

I just don't want to see you get a pair of low end muffs, and then realize that they're really not that much better than a pair of $80 standard muffs. Then try them against a pair of premium muffs, and be let down, and also out $100 bucks for the cheaper pair, and will still want better muffs. That's all. I've made similar mistakes like that before. And sometimes I still pick the budget item, and they work beautifully. I don't think so much for electronic muffs though.

I think few others recommended the more wallet friendly versions, because we've all tried different price ranges, and were getting true and measurable value for our money when coughing up the dough for the "premium" electronic muffs. I know for me it was worth the extra cash, and if you can squeeze it out will be well spent, and you'll appreciate the difference. For a much better explanation of what I tried to say, go here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...589D&FORM=VIRE

Good luck, no matter what you choose to do.

FT
    Well said FT.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by poimen View Post
    I like my Howard leights. They fit pretty good and they do a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    X2 on those, they work good around noisy machinery for me (discbine and a open cab tractor running 2100 RPM). Never used them shooting however, I think I paid $125 for them a few years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The howard leight impact sports have two issues for me: discomfort when wearing them for more than an hour and they don't seal very well around shooting glasses. I always had to double up with them unless shooting suppressed (in which case I'd rather wear surefire sonic defenders anyway).

I have a set of older sordins, and they suck. They're very comfortable, but the gel cups are fragile. After paying for a second set which didn't last for more than a few months, I gave up on them. The noise reduction is also worse than the howard leights, in my opinion. I also found them very hissy/scratching in terms of audio quality.

For the past year I've been using surefire ep-7 sonic defenders, which work for almost everything except muzzle brakes or when shooting under roofs or enclosed spaces. For over-ear I have a set of peltor tactical sports with the gel cups. They're not as "low drag" as sordins, but for $100 (muffs) + $40 (cups) they are very comfortable all day long, have great noise reduction, and the audio quality is an order of magnitude better than the howard leights. They're bigger, which may be an issue for some people depending on your physiology and cheek weld. I personally don't have any issues shooting prone with them, though.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    The howard leight impact sports have two issues for me: discomfort when wearing them for more than an hour and they don't seal very well around shooting glasses.
    Maybe this also goes in the 'you get what you pay for' segment. They get uncomfortable for me after awhile with my sunglasses also, but I just accepted it as what happens when you wear earmuffs with something sandwiched under them. Do higher end ones curb that? If so, I may go shopping also. I'm coming up on that time of year with a lot of seat time, tis the season. Hell I still wear earplugs a lot since I can tolerate them for hours on end.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    Maybe this also goes in the 'you get what you pay for' segment. They get uncomfortable for me after awhile with my sunglasses also, but I just accepted it as what happens when you wear earmuffs with something sandwiched under them. Do higher end ones curb that? If so, I may go shopping also. I'm coming up on that time of year with a lot of seat time, tis the season. Hell I still wear earplugs a lot since I can tolerate them for hours on end.
    In my experience, yes. My old sordins and newer peltors are very comfortable with the gel cups. No issues with my glasses. Some of this will depend on the frames of your glasses, too. My shooting glasses are very slim at my ears.

Part of the reason the howards are uncomfortable (for me) is that they are very shallow, so they press on my whole ear slightly, rather than only the cushion around my ear.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will have to consider a set of gel cups then, I wear Oakley flak jackets, which are bulkier on the side than most metal frames. But they take the abuse too, the day to day abuse and the I-left-them-within-reach-of-two-toddles abuse

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    I will have to consider a set of gel cups then, I wear Oakley flak jackets, which are bulkier on the side than most metal frames. But they take the abuse too, the day to day abuse and the I-left-them-within-reach-of-two-toddles abuse
    KW,

Gel cups, at least on the Sordins are absolutely great! I wear different glasses for different conditions, Oakley, Wiley X, and even my wire frame personal transitions corrective lenses (They meet the OSHA standards of the previous two). The Sordin PRO X Supremes come with them already installed. The difference in comfort, as to the issue of having your glasses being shoved into the side of your head, is amazing. I can't speak for other brands of muffs, but I'd bet that you'd have similar results. For me they eliminate the most annoying aspect of wearing muffs.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper