Thread: 10/22 mags?

Downloads
    Uploads

10/22 mags?

I just came inside from shooting some 10/22 and to be perfectly honest I felt like throwing those effin' banana mags into the woods out behind my house. I am not sure if this is a common problem or if Ruger is just a POS. All mags are Ruger.

A few months ago (or more) they had a sale somewhere online so I bought several of those mags. Anyway the problem seems that the follower isn't pushing the cartridges up to where they are 'point up' so they don't feed worth a damn. Shot after shot the bullets would get canted downward and the bolt would just jam em home. A few rounds were nearly impossible to get out of the mags and a number of them were bent up all to hell so I had to toss em. Getting through a single mag was a pain in the ass. With the one Ruger mag I had though there were zero issues.

I haven't tested all the mags but one functioned fine and had problems with some others.

I have several more of them but on balance so far they don't seem very reliable. Do I need to run the hell out of them and break them in? Do I need to perform surgery on them? Or do I just need to test them all and write off the ones that give me trouble?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well thanks a lot. I had several old offbrand mags I just pitched because they quit feeding. I just bought 3 25 round Ruger mags, like a week or so ago. Now you have me questioning my purchase If it's something you can correct, I will take note.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I searched online and it's a very documented problem with those mags. Youtube is full of videos about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't. Since I had wore out cheapos I figured a Ruger mag for a Ruger gun would suffice. Oh well, we shall see.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had zero issues with mine. You are talking about the BX-25's right? I would take them apart and see what's going on. Sounds like you have one good one that you could use to compare to the ones that aren't working. If you cant get them working I am sure Ruger will warranty them.
    You can contact the new CEO directly. https://ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO/
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got several 10-22s, and a number of BX-15 & BX-25 magazines. All of the mags run reliably after tweaking, as follows:

1) Open up the magazine and put a fired .22 short case over the post attached to the magazine spring that the follower rides on. There is a lot of gap/play between the post and the follower. The .22 short case is the perfect length & diameter to act as a bushing so the follower doesn't tilt. If you don't have any .22 shorts, you can use a dremel to cut down a standard .22LR case, just make sure to polish the cut end smooth.

2) Open up the magazine, disassemble it and polish the front inside lip where the cartridge nose hits when pushed forward by the bolt. Doesn't have to be a lot, but make sure it's smooth. A slight bevel so the nose of the round is thrust upwards doesn't hurt. On some mags, there may be a small amount of flashing in the form of a "lip" about halfway down the right side (from overhead with the front of the mag pointed away from you). Polish away the rough area so the cartridge rim slides past freely when pushed forward by the bolt instead of hanging up.

#1 seems to solve most feeding problems by itself. #2 is just a bonus, but can't hurt.

Rimfirecentral.com has a lot of good information on 10-22s, getting BX-15 & BX-25 magazines to work, and .22 rifles in general.