Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After building and using about 15 different .308 platforms I came to the conclusion that even Slash's carbine .308 heavy buffers are a band aid and will never run as well as a rifle length extension set up. If the carbine extension is a must then a CAR-10 XH buffer with a Sprinco orange spring has proven to be the best choice for me. I saw 0 difference between a A5 with a XH buffer (A5 extensions can use a standard AR15 length buffer even with .308's) with one of Slash's springs and the standard AR15 tube with a Sprinco orange spring. Also I am not a fan of the springs he sells. When I see surface rust on a spring less than a month old I tend to suspect the quality of the spring immediately.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    Slippers, which A5 receiver do you recommend. I was going to go with a Vltor branded one but there's two different ones the re-10A5-SR and the just plain A5 receiver extension. Or do you have another recommendation?
    The only different is the A5 has 7 positions and the A5-SR has 6 positions. Dont quote me be I think the A5 will just allow you stock retract the extra notch. But it does depend on which stock you decide to go with. Dsgarms.com has the A5-SR instock and it's the one I have.

Knew Magpul has a few options in the A5 RE category and didn't know BCM had one
    "And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off." -Big Jake

"All the Gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you." -Joseph Campbell

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good video of the different tubes and stock compatibility.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UnrVJT4UU10

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    After building and using about 15 different .308 platforms I came to the conclusion that even Slash's carbine .308 heavy buffers are a band aid and will never run as well as a rifle length extension set up. If the carbine extension is a must then a CAR-10 XH buffer with a Sprinco orange spring has proven to be the best choice for me. I saw 0 difference between a A5 with a XH buffer (A5 extensions can use a standard AR15 length buffer even with .308's) with one of Slash's springs and the standard AR15 tube with a Sprinco orange spring. Also I am not a fan of the springs he sells. When I see surface rust on a spring less than a month old I tend to suspect the quality of the spring immediately.
    Between Sinner's and Slipper's input when I was having issues, I went through both Slash configs and then A5 configs. I can't comment on spring corrosion (though I'll go look), but at the end of the day, none of the various setups fixed the overall issue of over-gassing, as Sinner is saying. Even with the A5, shooting this barrel was "stout." Put a suppressor on it and it was downright domestic violence. At the end of the day, throwing more money at the problem and buying the Gemtech carrier made the system much friendlier, but it just irked me that that had to be the solution.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Between Sinner's and Slipper's input when I was having issues, I went through both Slash configs and then A5 configs. I can't comment on spring corrosion (though I'll go look), but at the end of the day, none of the various setups fixed the overall issue of over-gassing, as Sinner is saying. Even with the A5, shooting this barrel was "stout." Put a suppressor on it and it was downright domestic violence. At the end of the day, throwing more money at the problem and buying the Gemtech carrier made the system much friendlier, but it just irked me that that had to be the solution.

I don't think there are many 308 ARs out there that aren't overgassed. It's almost hereditary. I see and hear about it all the time. Installing adjustable gas systems is best way to take care of it.
    "And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off." -Big Jake

"All the Gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you." -Joseph Campbell

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I don't like sprinco springs.
    Why don't you like Sprinco springs?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Why don't you like Sprinco springs?
    They rust like crazy in NC humidity. I could care less about their supposed longevity when they cost 3-4x as much as a Colt spring. And I avoid running extra power springs as much as possible because I don't like how the extra bolt velocity causes the gun to rock forward when the bolt closes.

If you're happy with your sprinco springs rock on. Iraqgunz is a perfect example of someone I trust who uses sprinco, but they aren't for me.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny because I live about 500' from the Chesapeake bay and I've never seen a spot of rust on a Sprinco spring. I have been lightly greasing all my springs for years now so that may be why.

The spring I got from Heavybuffers was actually rusted so much I could see it under the stock when it was extended. Rust particles were coming out of the relief hole.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Funny because I live about 500' from the Chesapeake bay and I've never seen a spot of rust on a Sprinco spring. I have been lightly greasing all my springs for years now so that may be why.

The spring I got from Heavybuffers was actually rusted so much I could see it under the stock when it was extended. Rust particles were coming out of the relief hole.
    Someone asked me why I don't like them, and I answered. I'm not giving anyone grief for using them, but I personally don't like them. If you're happy with sprinco, cool.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not questioning your experience or preference at all. Just stating mine because it was different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I pulled my JP springs out the other day and they're just as shiny as they were when new. What is this rust issue you speak of?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
    I don't think there are many 308 ARs out there that aren't overgassed. It's almost hereditary. I see and hear about it all the time. Installing adjustable gas systems is best way to take care of it.
    That answer is a cop out to me. I understand why manufacturers over-gas their barrels, but it still drives me crazy. Build it to the NATO spec. But then Joe-Bob buys cheap, weak ammo and the upper doesn't run! Well, then many 308 isn't for you...

But this is an argument/discussion that's been had here before. For me, I'm shooting spec or near spec ammo, so I'd prefer a gas port that matches that. I also don't want to have to deal with an adjustable gas block, no matter how good and how well it's supposed to hold the setting. It would just be nice to have manufacturers specify what they've built their product to support. Sadly, this was not the case with my Rainier barrel and it ended up costing me more money to get it to a point where it ran reliably when I could have just gone with another barrel from the beginning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It would just be nice to have manufacturers specify what they've built their product to support.
    I wish they would at least specify the ammo they use for testing. For not even all quality ammo has the same pressure. My SPR will not cycle Magtech 77gr. It will cycle 55gr federal bulk Walmart ammo without issue. Go figure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wurd.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That answer is a cop out to me. I understand why manufacturers over-gas their barrels, but it still drives me crazy. Build it to the NATO spec. But then Joe-Bob buys cheap, weak ammo and the upper doesn't run! Well, then many 308 isn't for you...

But this is an argument/discussion that's been had here before. For me, I'm shooting spec or near spec ammo, so I'd prefer a gas port that matches that. I also don't want to have to deal with an adjustable gas block, no matter how good and how well it's supposed to hold the setting. It would just be nice to have manufacturers specify what they've built their product to support. Sadly, this was not the case with my Rainier barrel and it ended up costing me more money to get it to a point where it ran reliably when I could have just gone with another barrel from the beginning.

You are exactly right. They the manufacturers need to do more research but that cost money and time. And I should have put it's a remedy for the issue but not the correct fix. Adjustable gas systems should've there if you want really fine tune the system not to fix the issue.

Instagram- @tomcheaney9