Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    I'm a terrible owner to this 308. I've hardly shot it. Still has gas issues. I talked with Jeff and removed an O ring from the BCG. Still need to see if that helped.
    Lol..

What ammo, like cheap steel stuff or Decent brass.?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Lol..

What ammo, like cheap steel stuff or Decent brass.?
    It has all been x51. I forget the brand. Decent stuff.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hit the range yesterday with 120 rounds. A mix of cheap wolf 308 and whatever 7.62 I had left over.

Started off TERRIBLE. Stove pipe after stove pipe. Then the bolt would get stuck in the chamber and I'd have to mortar it. Was using quite a bit of lube.

After about 40 rounds she cleared up and ran fine the remainder of the rounds. Not sure what happened or if it's a fluke.
    I do have the springco spring in it from FortTom.

I started recording myself to try and diagnose it. I was getting pretty frustrated.

Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was after that video that it cleared up.

david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it's that same Rainier barrel, I'm telling you that's the problem. Once I put a can on mine it became completely unusable without buying more parts to fix it, and even then, it's abusive to shoot. I haven't listed my barrel on sale here just out of respect for the members.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Every .308 I’ve ever built with a carbine buffer tube runs like shit compared to a rifle buffer. And I have 2 6.5CM and 2 .308 Rainier UM barrels and they are no better or no worse than my Noveske, BA, JP and numerous other barrels.

Rifle buffer tube, Slash’s XH buffer and a Sprinco green rifle spring has been the ticket on every one. Supressed or not.

Orange Extra power carbine spring has been partially acceptable on some builds but only with a buffer stuffed with tungsten weights. Even the heavy carbine buffer results in oversped BCG’s.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting.

I've had luck running a carbine receiver extension + a 308 buffer and spring. Then again my sample size with a 308 is much smaller than with my AR15 collection. I think I have like a total of 6 AR10's.

I haven't shot a Rainier Barrel suppressed though, only suppressed setup I'm running is with an old Mega stamped 308 16" Barrel. I'll have to throw a can on one of my Rainier 308 barrels and see what it does.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even after an A5 and Slash's buffer/spring combo, the gun ran very rough. It would cycle unsuppressed, but it was a brutal recoil. Suppressed and it was hit and miss. The only thing that made it run 100% was then buying a gassed carrier, but even then, it was still pushing a lot of energy back at the shooter. I eventually ended up taking it all apart and the barrel is sitting, waiting to be sold.

Downloads
    Uploads
    308 ARs are finicky beasts, which is why Rich and I always preach factory guns. If you build one, though, you should absolutely use an adjustable gas block, gauge the chamber, and check the headspace.

Buffer/spring/tube configuration is always confusing, so just remember that a 308 carrier is longer. These combinations work together:

A5 buffer tube with H3 carbine buffer (NOT an A5H3 buffer) and Armalite EA1095 spring

Rifle buffer tube with Armalite AR10 rifle buffer (shorter than AR15 rifle buffer) and EA1095 spring.

DPMS also makes a shorter carbine buffer if you insist on using an AR15 carbine length buffer tube, but it's the worst possible combination.

The 308 BCG is bigger and heavier, so you need the armalite spring and a fairly heavy buffer to counteract it. I have never seen Slash's super heavy buffer help, though, and find it to be ridiculously overpriced. No use for sprinco springs, either.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Even after an A5 and Slash's buffer/spring combo, the gun ran very rough. It would cycle unsuppressed, but it was a brutal recoil. Suppressed and it was hit and miss. The only thing that made it run 100% was then buying a gassed carrier, but even then, it was still pushing a lot of energy back at the shooter. I eventually ended up taking it all apart and the barrel is sitting, waiting to be sold.
    Let me talk to the guys next week and see if we can work something out for you. How long ago did you buy that barrel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    308 ARs are finicky beasts, which is why Rich and I always preach factory guns. If you build one, though, you should absolutely use an adjustable gas block, gauge the chamber, and check the headspace.

Buffer/spring/tube configuration is always confusing, so just remember that a 308 carrier is longer. These combinations work together:

A5 buffer tube with H3 carbine buffer (NOT an A5H3 buffer) and Armalite EA1095 spring

Rifle buffer tube with Armalite AR10 rifle buffer (shorter than AR15 rifle buffer) and EA1095 spring.

DPMS also makes a shorter carbine buffer if you insist on using an AR15 carbine length buffer tube, but it's the worst possible combination.

The 308 BCG is bigger and heavier, so you need the armalite spring and a fairly heavy buffer to counteract it. I have never seen Slash's super heavy buffer help, though, and find it to be ridiculously overpriced. No use for sprinco springs, either.
    Well, that's about as concise as an explanation of 308 buffer/spring/tubes as I've ever seen. FWIW, Aero uses the AR15 carbine w/ DPMS 308 carbine buffer I had no problems, but it is paired with an AGB. I use SLR Sentry AGBs on my two large frame builds (one Aero M5, one 2A Xanthos) and have been able to tune the gas for each reliably. Still waiting on my .30 cal can, though, so no comments for suppressed use, but I expect to dial the gas back a notch or two and be GTG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    308 ARs are finicky beasts, which is why Rich and I always preach factory guns.
    Missed this the first time around.

But yes, on AR10's I whole heartedly recommend Factory Guns.

I'm sure you guys can build your own just fine, but there are so many more variations and specs to AR10's.

My LMT MWS runs so much better than my other AR10's. I've got a Cross Machine Tool UHP10 that is a close second, but that LMT runs like a sewing machine and is so soft shooting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    308 ARs are finicky beasts, which is why Rich and I always preach factory guns.
    Completely agree. While it can sometimes be a blunt instrument, my SR-25 has had zero function issues. Since I had the spare receiver parts (Mega) and came across a M110 rail for a song, I figured I'd take the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Let me talk to the guys next week and see if we can work something out for you. How long ago did you buy that barrel?
    November 2015. After a pretty epic injury and recovery, and by the time I had it assembled and then tried all the combinations to get it working, I had had it well over a year which was outside the warranty period, and totally my doing, so I never bothered Rainier about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Completely agree. While it can sometimes be a blunt instrument, my SR-25 has had zero function issues. Since I had the spare receiver parts (Mega) and came across a M110 rail for a song, I figured I'd take the chance.

November 2015. After a pretty epic injury and recovery, and by the time I had it assembled and then tried all the combinations to get it working, I had had it well over a year which was outside the warranty period, and totally my doing, so I never bothered Rainier about it.
    Send me a PM with the specs on the barrel, detailed description of what happens suppressed, and I'll see what I can do.