Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Suppressor Friendly Charging Handles

My go-to 11.5" BCM will soon be a suppressor host, and I'm really not interested in swapping bolt carriers or going to an adjustable gas system because it just plain works as is.

With that said, I'm curious about "suppressor friendly" charging handles... Raptor-SD, SNACH, Gas Buster, etc... I've heard they are kind of a mixed bag in general, but it's hard to find unbiased feedback on their effectiveness purely in terms of reducing gas to the face, so I'm soliciting your opinions. I should note that I really have no burning desire for ambi latches or anything like that, so the PRI seems every bit as attractive as the other two - I just want to keep blow-by out of my eyes and nose as much as possible without gutting my rifle and re-building the whole thing. If any of these really make a substantial difference, I'll buy it in a heartbeat... If not, I'd rather save my money and run the current Mod 4 with some RTV slapped on it and call it a day.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
    Let my last thought not be, "if only I had my gun..."

Downloads
    Uploads
    The PRI Gas buster works pretty well. However, I currently run a replacement for the forward assist that has an outward facing port to direct gas in the upper away from the face. It is on my AR pistol; an 8.5" 223 WYLDE. Pistol has a standard charging handle and an AAC can. Lots of gas from this setup, but I don't get anything noticeable in my face from the bench or position shooting. Bought it at Rainier and it seems to work. gatordev did a review a couple years back and seems to concur, but not for left-handed shooters due to the location of the vent. http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...42-AR-Gas-Vent

Don't know if they caught on or died the "novelty item" death so common for AR parts. Bing search (AR Gas Vent) shows them still available for under $40 at a couple of sites.

Lots of folks don't see the need for forward assist, and I've never had to use it. You may or may not want to put it on a "working" rifle; but then, I'm to old to be "working" any more

Tried to get a Rainier link for you, but cannot connect to their site. Can't seem to complete the handshake to mockingfish.com - I guess a server somewhere in the chain, or their host. Will update this response later when it is available. Picture below.

Edit: https://www.rainierarms.com/ar-gas-vent/

[IMG]Gas Vent by Jerry R, on Flickr[/IMG]
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, short of the RTV fix, I've found gas in the face has FAR more to do with the gassiness of the rifle than the charging handle. Most of my charging handles are BCM Mod 4s (It's just what's worked for me) and I've found that an under-gassed upper with a suppressor gives no gas in the face with these, while a "normal" or slightly over-gassed upper will give mild to "more than mild" gas.

I don't have a ton of shooting time behind a normally gassed BCM (mine has a op-rod system on it with a suppressed gas setting, so it's not fair comparison), but they seem to be "typically" gassed, so you may get some with whatever flavor of charging handle you get, regardless of make.

I've also run the Gas Vent that Jerry mentions, and it definitely helped when shooting strong side. But if I had to shoot weak side (left side for me), it became very painful and worse than shooting without it.

I've also found that, at the end of the day, gas in the face isn't nearly as big a deal for an "average" gassed upper as people make it out to be (as a righty shooter). Yes, you notice it, then you keep shooting. If you mag dump, it can possibly get debilitating, but it's not a guarantee.

Downloads
    Uploads

Suppressor Friendly Charging Handles

You'll know how much gas you can tolerate once you train with a can. The can is part of the system and *should* be gassed accordingly, hence the many adjustable products. Other than that it's compromise and tolerance if you want the system to remain the same with and sans can.

The Raptor SD doesn't do anything but hurt Radian's reputation with a gimmick.

Apart from an adjustable block or BRT insert, try increasing your buffer to delay extraction and keep the buffers that work in your kit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an FYI, gemtech's SBC and bootleg's 4 way adjustable bolt-carrier works awesome. The only reason not to get one of them is because you want to have gas face.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Just an FYI, gemtech's SBC and bootleg's 4 way adjustable bolt-carrier works awesome. The only reason not to get one of them is because you want to have gas face.
    Totally love my gemtech. Long strings of full-auto suppressed and no problems with gas face. Gun runs cleaner, doesn't dry up as quick, doesn't get all gritty. I just picked up a second one last week for a new build. :)

The bootleg isn't full-auto rated, for some reason.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I run the SN-ACH on my suppressed 10.5" 556. The only time I really get gas face is during moderate firing at an indoor range. Also, you don't want
    to be too close to a wall on your right side. Outdoors is great, the gas just blows off to the right away from my face.

Ric

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to do the RTV trick to milspec handles but got a deal on a SNACH and am using it on my most highly used suppressed AR.

I love it. I'll never go back. It wasn't so much the gas mitigation because I also have an adjustable block but the SNACH actually made the fit and feel of operating the rifle exponentially better, the gas relief is a bonus. It's an ambi charging handle which I hadn't fully utilized til shooting a match a couple weekends ago.

Can't go wrong here

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Totally love my gemtech. Long strings of full-auto suppressed and no problems with gas face. Gun runs cleaner, doesn't dry up as quick, doesn't get all gritty. I just picked up a second one last week for a new build. :)

The bootleg isn't full-auto rated, for some reason.
    Cuz gemtech is just that much better

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Cuz gemtech is just that much better
    Even though both carriers are made by the same company? Seems odd.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Less liability to sell your FA capable BCG as Semi rated.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a detailed write up of my SNACH then photobucket took a dump on me. I'll put everything back on IMGUR tonight and re-do it.

I even drilled a vent into a MILSPEC charging handle and I'd still take the SNACH every day of the week.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Even though both carriers are made by the same company? Seems odd.
    Don't believe the guy wearing a squid mask.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Don't believe the guy wearing a squid mask.
    That's just good life advice right there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    SNACH user here. Zero complaints. It does help, but it's all relative. It's one part among several that will make a difference to gas face.

I think it depends on the can...some are more prone to back pressure than others. Barrel length, ammo, gas block, rate of fire and several other things all matter. I read an article online that actually had hard data points about the pressure spike when you shoot. They started with a 24 inch barrel and cut off an inch at a time measuring velocity and pressure both. The shorter the barrel the less velocity, but the pressure spikes as do the decibels.

No big revelation there but I think taking a holistic approach to gassy face is the best way. With that in mind I have seen about a 95% approval rate of the SNACH. Of the other 5% they seem to expect it to fix a problem somewhere else. I view the SNACH and other components as just that...components that you can put together to help mitigate gassy face.