Downloads
    Uploads

Fantastic 5.56 muzzle brakes

This is not a review, so to speak, but more of a recommendation. I will provide links to exhaustive testing and data, and lack the ability or talent to post quality pictures.

Up until about a year ago, my muzzle brake of choice for 5.56 had been the Epsilon VG6. They were and are very effective. About a year ago, on the Truth About Guns forum, I read a fairly exhaustive test of dozens of brakes tested, on a fairly simple device, that works, and provides no bias towards any one product. They conducted this test 2 years in a row, with new entries, and a top ten of the previous test.

By a fair and significant amount, the Precision Armaments M4-72 Severe duty brake won both years in a row. This piqued my interest and I ordered a couple.

I think they worked as well as the testing proved. Upside: recoil is negligible. Someone was paying attention in fluid dynamics class because they sure figured it out. They are light weight, just over 2 oz. I don't own any NFA stuff, so I can't comment on burst or F/A weapons.

Downside, they are a tad expensive, you have to purchase the multi-washer timing kit, and PA states not to use them with a crush washer. They hose you for about another $25 for the washer set.

They aren't pretty, no fancy machining or polishing of outside, forging lines visible.

And lastly, they use a triple rear facing ports. In an indoor 100 yard range with walled dividers between shooters, they are LOUD AS HELL!, damn near blow your muffs off loud. For that reason they especially don't recommend them for SBR's.

Given all of that, and my experience with them, I just ordered a third for a lightweight project that I'm trying to piece together quickly, to get to Axlnut for a multi-cam cerakote.

If you're so inclined or curious, you can read the full tests, which probably includes some you may be using, here: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ke-shootout-2/

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 27 June 2017 at 18:00.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    A few years ago I was curious about compensators so I did my own informal test. I kind of thought they were more hype than anything. Boy was I wrong.

It wasn't anywhere near as scientific as this one. I put my rifle in a led sled and without holding the gun I gently squeezed the trigger with my thumb and finger. With a bare muzzle the gun was jumping all the way out of the sled (at least the rail did). I did the same thing with various muzzle devices and the results were noticeable.

I also tied a string on the front of the rail and another on the back of the stock and hung it up. I repeated the test again. Big differences.

I definitely became a believer after that. I am curious to read what all they came up with here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've tried the M4-72, very good brake for a gaming gun. In my experience the SJC Titan works a little better than the M4-72, a little less recoil and a little flatter. It is heavier though. The Titan won in their muzzle brake shootout 3.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetr...hootout-3/amp/

http://stores.sjcguns.com/lund-sjc-2...n-compensator/
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly I rather shoot with a flash hider on a 5.56. Recoil from that round is a non issue to me and not worth the concussion for the slight reduction.

But as far as brakes go the PWS MOD 2 FSC is the best compromise between recoil reduction, keeping the rifle flat (most brakes I've used drive the barrel down and IMO that's harder to recover from than a slight upward flip) and managing the report.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    A few years ago I was curious about compensators so I did my own informal test.
    FYI, while people tend to use the terms interchangeably, comps and brakes are not the same thing.

Compensators reduce muzzle rise, brakes reduce rearward recoil. Most rifle muzzle devices that purport to be one or the other tend to have both qualities, but still.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was checking zero/testing DOPE before a match a few weekends ago, and the guy next to me (outdoor range) was shooting a Lantac Dragon on his AR. His first shot blew my hat off.

I'm not a big fan of brakes/comps in how terrible they make the shooting environment for people around them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    FYI, while people tend to use the terms interchangeably, comps and brakes are not the same thing.

Compensators reduce muzzle rise, brakes reduce rearward recoil. Most rifle muzzle devices that purport to be one or the other tend to have both qualities, but still.
    Yes. Absolutely. I was specifically referring to testing of comps (in my test). I've never been a big brake guy although one of my rifles wears one. That said it's a suppressor taper mount. I never intended to infer that they were the same.

A few years back I thought the whole thing (both brakes and comps both) were some sort of expensive voodoo so I did an informal test and proved myself completely wrong.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I was checking zero/testing DOPE before a match a few weekends ago, and the guy next to me (outdoor range) was shooting a Lantac Dragon on his AR. His first shot blew my hat off.

I'm not a big fan of brakes/comps in how terrible they make the shooting environment for people around them.
    I've got a Lantac on my LR-10. I always try to put some space between myself and other shooters when firing. It is loud as ****. Shooting etiquette is a thing of the past. 11B mentioned how terrible they make the shooting environment... but most folks could care less about dumping a 30 round mag and spewing hot brass all over a man and his child to the right of them. Not stating that is the case with Former11B, just saying..

FT.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Honestly I rather shoot with a flash hider on a 5.56. Recoil from that round is a non issue to me and not worth the concussion for the slight reduction.

But as far as brakes go the PWS MOD 2 FSC is the best compromise between recoil reduction, keeping the rifle flat (most brakes I've used drive the barrel down and IMO that's harder to recover from than a slight upward flip) and managing the report.
    You're right, 5.56 ammo has fairly insignificant recoil. I used to have a .375 H&H for big game, and 10 to 20 rounds off the bench for sighting in a new hand load would really get your attention requiring a few cans of anesthesia when you got home.

But where the brakes/comps really shine is rapid fire. I also have two "light weight" AR's, and am working on a new "lighter weight (I hope)" project. Brakes really help with the Voodoo/Faxon/Other styles of "pencil" barrels.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I've tried the M4-72, very good brake for a gaming gun. In my experience the SJC Titan works a little better than the M4-72, a little less recoil and a little flatter. It is heavier though. The Titan won in their muzzle brake shootout 3.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetr...hootout-3/amp/

http://stores.sjcguns.com/lund-sjc-2...n-compensator/
    Heck, I didn't know they did a 3rd test. For the little difference in reduction, I'd stick with the M4-72. The Titan looks as big as a hotdog.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Titan is big, it's big enough to pin on a 13.7" and be legal.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aeroknox came out with a Muzzle Brake. Have one myself and it's been decent. Wouldn't mind seeing the actual results if you have the opportunity to test one.