Thread: Shooting in MT

Downloads
    Uploads

Shooting in MT

My parents have procured a "vacation" home in Montana and I'm sure I'll be visiting more than once. One thing I love about the west is being able to go shoot out in the middle of nowhere, but I'm not as well-versed on BLM and MT as I was when I lived in CA.

They'll be in the Bozeman area and I'm trying to figure out if there's either BLM land, generally undisputed land, or a decent range in the area to go shoot. The ranges I've found online so far haven't wowed me, so figured I'd ask here. Any thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

Shooting in MT

I couldn't tell you much about Montana, but I will say that in my experience the best way to get access to good range land is to get to know a couple ranchers. (No pun intended.)
    Last edited by Battle Cock; 4 September 2014 at 14:43.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    My parents have procured a "vacation" home in Montana and I'm sure I'll be visiting more than once. One thing I love about the west is being able to go shoot out in the middle of nowhere, but I'm not as well-versed on BLM and MT as I was when I lived in CA.

They'll be in the Bozeman area and I'm trying to figure out if there's either BLM land, generally undisputed land, or a decent range in the area to go shoot. The ranges I've found online so far haven't wowed me, so figured I'd ask here. Any thoughts?
    Whenever I moved, or was "relocated" in the MIL or otherwise found myself in strange territory, I always found the easiest route was to visit the local gun stores, and strike up a conversation. Often times, that alone opened some doors for me. Especially being active duty. People generally want to be nice to you, and give you the local "layout". If nothing else, you make new "gun friends" that you can visit next time you're in Bozeman.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's a nice range that's in the Manhattan area that I've visited. Annual memberships were reasonable and it was very well set up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have an Apple device, there is an app - "Where to Shoot". Very nice, put in your zip code and distance and it will list all ranges in that circle. May be available for the Android or other devices, but I am not sure.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT:

Good idea. That just means I'll have to go oggle at gun stores. Darn.

Jerry,

Thanks. I'll take a look. I'm on iOS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/

You can search high and low and find who owns the land here. Nice

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice, thank you. Although not looking great around the Bozeman area. I'll have to keep digging.