Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lawmakers introduce SHUSH Act to classify suppressors as gun accessory

"The bill, entered as S.1505 in the Senate and H.R.3139 in the House, would not only remove suppressors from National Firearms Act requirements — a goal of the rival Hearing Protection Act — but also classify them as simple accessories which could be sold over the counter. The Hearing Protection Act, currently with 154 co-sponsors, would eliminate the $200 transfer tax on suppressors by dropping them from NFA rules, but still requires they should be transferred through federal firearms licensees after a background check, regulating them as firearms. Both bills provide for a refund on tax stamps bought since Oct. 22, 2015."

http://www.guns.com/2017/07/05/lawma...gun-accessory/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Goes one or two steps beyond the HPA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't care what you call it, just get it passed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No shit! End my painful wait!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd sure like to see that pass. I wonder which side of supply/demand that would create? If you could buy them over the counter like a Aimpoint RDS or something, I could foresee, possibly, a mass of people, like myself, who don't like to screw with NFA stuff for all sorts of reasons, running to their LGS to grab a suppressor. Would the increased demand cause the price to shoot through the stratosphere? Maybe cheaper to buy one now and pay the $200 tax, and all of the rest of the bullshit involved with getting NFA stuff, including the wait? Or would there be a major spike in sales and price, that after the initial rush, things would simmer down with price drops to adjust to a then smaller demand?

I also wonder what the anti-crowd in the congress would think about supporting this bill? Most people I know, who are not gun people, think a suppressor makes your weapon go phhhhfiiiiiit, like they do in James Bond movies, and thus are irrationally afraid to hear about them being legal, NFA or not. Would like to see it pass, the over-the-counter accessory version, but not holding my breath.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    With SHISH I think you'd see a flood of cans for every segment of the market, from bargain to luxury, priced accordingly.

With HPA, the supply/demand chain would get choked more because of less competition in a segment that requires regulation from manufacturer to consumer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Obviously I think this is a good thing but I don't know what kind of signal this is sending me about the HPA or this SHUSH act. If the HPA has traction they may be pushing it further along down the road to complete deregulation, or it could mean any number of other things politically speaking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I'd sure like to see that pass. I wonder which side of supply/demand that would create? If you could buy them over the counter like a Aimpoint RDS or something, I could foresee, possibly, a mass of people, like myself, who don't like to screw with NFA stuff for all sorts of reasons, running to their LGS to grab a suppressor. Would the increased demand cause the price to shoot through the stratosphere? Maybe cheaper to buy one now and pay the $200 tax, and all of the rest of the bullshit involved with getting NFA stuff, including the wait? Or would there be a major spike in sales and price, that after the initial rush, things would simmer down with price drops to adjust to a then smaller demand?

FT
    This is exactly what would happen.

Initially, you'd find nothing on the shelves, similar to just prior to 41F implementation. Only there would certainly be some people buying up suppressors and reselling them at a inflated price to cash in on the frenzy of deregulation.

If you want a can, buy it now. Supply is excellent.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Why would I do that when I can wait to not pay $200
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    If they pass either of these two bills you get your $200 back. If they don't pass them you still get a can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is exactly what would happen.

Initially, you'd find nothing on the shelves, similar to just prior to 41F implementation. Only there would certainly be some people buying up suppressors and reselling them at a inflated price to cash in on the frenzy of deregulation.

I FINALLY got all my stuff in... finger prints, photos, etc into the Silencer Shop website. Bad thing for me is I am leaving for a 6 week long trip tomorrow. I was planning on sealing the deal before I left but now it looks like I might have to wait a few more weeks. I'm planning on putting 3 cans in jail at once.

Griffin .22 can
    Griffin Recce 5
    Griffin Recce 7

Later on sometime I will actually get or build a .308 rifle or something like that to shoot

The only bummer for me is if all things go as currently planned I will be living in Asia for quite a while so they will all be just sitting there quietly collecting dust until I come back.

I just have to see what I want to get from GA's site with those $400 in coupons (assuming they still have that deal running).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    LOL, we all know you can't afford it anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pay $500 now + $200 (and possibly get the $200 back) or wait until the rush and pay $800-$1000 bucks for the same can....makes perfect sense.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guarantee you won't find a can on the shelves for a year if HPA passed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Idk - .22LR cans are pretty cheap.
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram