Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HK 416 Thread

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

HK 416 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UWone
    We can always start a 416 thread.

On a quick note, after chatting with Justin about the 416 vent conversion, I've decided I'm not doing it. If you end up doing it, I've VERY curious to see how it works for you.
    This may be a short-lived thread, but... I'm curious to hear more. I'm not convinced it's the thing to do either, so I'm interested in hearing other thoughts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe there should be an HK picture thread so more than just two people can post in it.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Maybe there should be an HK picture thread so more than just two people can post in it.
    Please let it be known I asked for that before the cool people showed up.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a topic for the uniformed masses. What makes the HK416 upper better? I understand the sex appeal and cool club but why *should* someone like me save for one?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Here's a topic for the uniformed masses. What makes the HK416 upper better? I understand the sex appeal and cool club but why *should* someone like me save for one?
    First and foremost, it's an HK.

Seriously though, the barrel is amazing and should last for 20K+ rounds. It's the only piston AR upper worth considering. I would have purchased one from Justin except other HK projects are consuming all the fun money right now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=Slippers;153388]First and foremost, it's an HK.

Seriously though, the barrel is amazing and should last for 20K+ rounds. "It's the only piston AR upper worth considering".
    That's debatable. Have you owned and extensively torture tested them all? Or were you just being facetious.
    Last edited by Stone; 25 July 2017 at 18:28.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    That's debatable. Have you owned and extensively torture tested them all? Or were you just being facetious.
    I read your response on my phone (which already said it was edited), then walked upstairs and noticed it was edited again. This version seems to be toned down a bit.

Of course I haven't extensively torture tested every single piston upper on the market. But you knew this before you asked.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope, don't hate them. Just wouldn't buy one. The hype that surrounds HK is better than their product.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=Stone;153421]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    First and foremost, it's an HK.

Seriously though, the barrel is amazing and should last for 20K+ rounds. "It's the only piston AR upper worth considering".
    Someone's HK hate has been triggered.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't go out of my way to get one. If the opportunity didn't land on my feet, I would have likely never purchased.

Downloads
    Uploads
    G3Kurz is the online handle of Jim Schatz, who was a long-time H&K employee, among other many cool things. He passed away earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz
    No one mentioned that it is THE ONLY AR15-based weapon to be adopted and to have replaced as a result the M16/M4 and variants (MK18, MK12 SPR) in US military - that being all of the classified USSOCOM units, and AWG, and, and, and... Not one from LWRC, FN, SIG, POF, not the SCAR, not the XM8, not the ACR, etc - the HK416. That speaks volumes about what the most elite units in the world think is the very best AR platform available for use in battle.

Other more technical reasons might include:

HK416 Advantages – Upper Receiver

●Piston Rod Gas System
    *70% less fouling and cleaning time (< 4 minutes for an HK416, > 12 for an M4)
    An almost total lack of carbon fouling is present within the weapon during even extended operation. 95% of all carbon fouling, debris and heat leaves the muzzle of the HK416 upon firing.
    *Little or no heat transfer to the bolt parts which results in 3-4 times increased service parts life and little to no requirement to reapply lubricant
    *Ability to fire the weapon w/o lubricant. A lack of lubricant attracts less sand and grit in harsh environments thus improving reliability.
    *Weapon operation not effected by the presence of water in the gas system
    *User removable without tools
    *Same gas system components and gas port location for all barrel lengths (10.4-20”)

●Cold Hammer Forged Barrel with Unique HK Tapered Bore Profile
    *Improved Accuracy
    *Long Barrel Service Life with less than 5% loss in muzzle velocity and accuracy in more than 20K rounds fired!
    *Easily resists damage and/or reduces operator injury from an obstructed bore firing in the event of an obstructed bore (100% obstructed) occurrence (lodged projectile, water, mud, etc.) or excessive firing rates over 500-700 rounds (melt down)
    *Bore and chamber chrome plated for improved corrosion resistance and reduced wear

●Improved Accuracy
    10.4" barreled HK416's regularly out shoot 14.5" barreled M4's for accuracy - some HK416’s with 10.4” barrels shoot @ 1 MOA with match ammo! A randomly selected HK416 with 10.4” barrel from a production lot of more than 300 guns fired multiple 1 inch groups at 100 meters from a rest with match ammo (IMI 55 grain BTHP) during USG acceptance testing.

●Increased Parts Service Life
    *HK416’s selected at random in USG testing have fired 15K rounds and more without a single stoppage or parts failure. In fact one gun was then tested to 30K rounds with no parts failures or stoppages recorded. M4 parts and barrel are expected to last only 6000 rounds or less as per the Army’s MIL SPEC for the weapon. (These relatively low numbers are accurate as per numerous reports from M4 users and armorers).
    *ALL HK416 parts are guaranteed for a minimum of 15K rounds.
    *Increased service life helps eliminate failures in combat, time and costs for repeated parts replacement and weapon repair.
    *HK416’s have fired 30K rounds in testing without the replacement of a single part whereas an M4 to reach that round count will have replaced barrels and bolts at least 2 – 4 times, as well as various small parts (extractors, extractor springs).

●Increased Reliability
    *HK416’s have fired more than 20K rounds without stoppages or parts failures, with NO cleaning or lubrication applied during those 20K rounds

●Bolt Carrier “Bell” Design for increased function and reliability

●Bolt
    *Does not require extractor removal for cleaning
    *Has support lug on extractor (and barrel extension) to limit excess compression of extractor spring
    *Bolt head supports the cartridge case head
    *No gas rings required

●One-piece Piston Rod “Carrier Key”
    *Improved reliability and component service life

●Firing Pin Safety
    *Prevents slam or drop fires and primer indents during chambering

●Higher Cook Off Rate (> 250 rounds versus < 210 for an M4)

●Free-floating User Removable 4-Quadrant Rail System
    *100% return-to-zero/bore sight retention
    *Allows user attachment w/o tools of US Army/HK 40x46 mm XM320 Grenade Launcher Module (GLM)

●Barrel Exchange by Armorer in less than 4 minutes
    *Headspace automatically fixed with install

●Longer (10mm) Barrel Threads on Upper Receiver
    *Improved Barrel Retention
    *Improved Accuracy

HK416 Advantages – Lower Receiver

●Flared Magazine Well
    *Assists in the ease and speed of reloading

●Improved HK-style Buffer Retainer
    *Improved buffer retention for increased reliability

●HK Tungsten Granulate Buffer and Buffer Spring
    *Improves feeding and locking reliability and reduces bolt “bounce back” to eliminate “light strikes”. One HK buffer and buffer spring is delivered with every HK416 and HK416 upper receiver.

●Improved HK High-Reliability Steel Magazine – up to 30% improvement in feed reliability over that with the standard aluminum USGI magazine. One HK magazine is delivered with every HK416 and HK416 upper receiver.

HK416 Advantages – Miscellaneous

●Special Order “Over the Beach” (OTB) Variant/Capability
    *Allows the HK416 to be safely fired and reliably, if need be, from the surf with it completely full of water. This can be done repeatedly without ill effect to the shooter or weapon (an M4 blows the top of the receiver off).

●Unique HK Safety Blank Firing Adapter
    *Will “catch” up to 3 live projectiles if accidentally mixed with blank ammunition during blank firing training

G3Kurz
    Source: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk4...tml#post741796

Jon Canipe, AKA M4Guru, also wrote this on SSD awhile back: http://soldiersystems.net/2013/03/30...tiring-my-416/

To be fair, most of the improvements noted are compared to issued DoD weapons; in the last couple of years, I think the DI system has been tweaked and improved substantially, to the point that I think the main advantages of an HK416 upper is the aforementioned amazing barrel, H&K's inherently excellent built quality, and the theoretical advantage of OTB capabilities. I've heard of anecdotes about the actual longevity of the H&K small parts at different junctures, and I'm not convinced that the op rod piston system confers any real advantage in most settings.

Still, being an H&K fanboy, I'd buy an honest-to-goodness HK416A5/MR556A3 shorty upper the moment it releases (one can dream, with the new Georgia plant); a full rifle would be considered, but much less of a priority. It's the only AR-15 item I'm interested in at this juncture, as I'm perfectly happy with what I have right now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    G3Kurz is the online handle of Jim Schatz, who was a long-time H&K employee, among other many cool things. He passed away earlier this year.
    Justin, who UW and gator got their uppers from, was a personal friend of Jim Schatz.
    Last edited by Slippers; 25 July 2017 at 12:09.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone ran both the 416 and a PWS?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Default, thanks!! Valuable info.

That OTB special order feature though...! Need to find a shooting range in the surf.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That OTB special order feature though...!
    OTB is a standard feature on the current A5 iteration, FWIW. The post I quoted is admittedly fairly old.