Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: HK 416 Thread

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are those lowers Only compatible with HK uppers? Is the price the main reason they don’t get bought for regular AR clones?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the price the main reason they don’t get bought for regular AR clones?
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by n4p226r View Post
    Are those lowers Only compatible with HK uppers?
    No, they're compatible with AR15s as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    How's the Maxam forend working?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Cheaper than the Geissele, more refined than the MI Rails. I like the MLOK positions. Maxim always makes a good product. Not as operator as the Geissele, but catering to such a niche market, I'm surprised this product even exists. I'm guessing it's only because the PDX uses the same rail they developed it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like Brownells has the BRN-4 for $249 now

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rance%7cRebate

Downloads
    Uploads
    is there any reason that HK can't sell actual semi auto 416 rifles and SBRs complete in the US other than the fact that they would have to manufacture them here for the most part and because HK is HK?

Downloads
    Uploads
    is there any reason that HK can't sell actual semi auto 416 rifles and SBRs complete in the US other than the fact that they would have to manufacture them here for the most part and because HK is HK?
    I think the big issue is that not all of the parts can come into the US to make it a 416 due to the German government. The MR556s don't have the same components (AR15 carrier, non-German/non-CL barrel, etc), so they "can't" (and shouldn't) be sold as 416s. Could they work around this? I'm guessing yes and start making a few components state-side, but I guess they don't wanna.

I've been out of the HK realm for the last couple of months but started paying attention the last couple of days again. It's interesting...it looks like 416s are starting to creep back up in price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I think the big issue is that not all of the parts can come into the US to make it a 416 due to the German government. The MR556s don't have the same components (AR15 carrier, non-German/non-CL barrel, etc), so they "can't" (and shouldn't) be sold as 416s. Could they work around this? I'm guessing yes and start making a few components state-side, but I guess they don't wanna.

I've been out of the HK realm for the last couple of months but started paying attention the last couple of days again. It's interesting...it looks like 416s are starting to creep back up in price.

ah. I didn't realize it was German law stopping the export. I thought it was US law stopping the import. Either way though, it's not like manufacturing in US couldn't handle building to the right spec to equal the German stuff they can't export.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ah. I didn't realize it was German law stopping the export. I thought it was US law stopping the import. Either way though, it's not like manufacturing in US couldn't handle building to the right spec to equal the German stuff they can't export.
    Most people online that constantly complain about how HK hates the civilian market, can't wrap their head around the German export laws, which are the real problem.

You should have seen the tizzy some were having when Hurricane Butterfly imported some 416C lowers to the US and charged 12K for a somewhat complete HK gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Most people online that constantly complain about how HK hates the civilian market, can't wrap their head around the German export laws, which are the real problem.

You should have seen the tizzy some were having when Hurricane Butterfly imported some 416C lowers to the US and charged 12K for a somewhat complete HK gun.
    how much of the gun are they restricted from exporting? im actually mostly surprised that the military contract isn't requiring them to be built here in the US.

didn't they finally release a civilian mp5 in the US? I assume that means we can get real (semi-auto) 416 in 2043 right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    how much of the gun are they restricted from exporting? im actually mostly surprised that the military contract isn't requiring them to be built here in the US.

didn't they finally release a civilian mp5 in the US? I assume that means we can get real (semi-auto) 416 in 2043 right?
    Exporting to the military (a NATO ally) and exporting to the civilian market is part of the problem. Even if HK has a footprint in the US doesn't mean it's controlled by US people. It's still a German company that's governed by German law. Also, my understanding is that the IAR barrel still comes from Germany, even if it may be assembled here (which I'm honestly not sure if it is).

The civilian MP5 (called a SP5 and SP5K) are both pistols, so it's classified differently by the German government. Hence why you can still buy other HK pistols.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just don't think the piston makes for a smooth shooter.

Looking forward to some more follow up posts on accuracy though.
    Revisiting this...I think part of the issue is trying to shoot groups with what is essentially a 1.8" mount (if I'm doing my math and caliper study correct). I've seen similar issues shooting my DI guns with a 1.93" mount. Also interesting to note that today I paid particular attention to shooting this rifle with and without a suppressor on the clock (with a pistol transition). Nothing fancy, and no movement, just 2 targets with a total of 6 rifle shots and 4 pistol shots. Recoil impulse was noticeably less with the can and the timer agreed (when I didn't waste time trying to find my pistol dot or having a self-induced pistol slide malfunction). Thanks to the gas vent, the brass would eject to the same position, with or without the can (both an over-gassed position, but that's life).

Anywho, pic for attention.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What, other than the safety markings, stands this lower apart from a standard Colt/Mil Spec lower receiver? It sure looks like nothing to my untrained eye. What improvements/innovations justify that price, because there are less expensive plain lowers that you can add your own HK laser engraving to for a lot less cash. It's Brownell's FFS, not H&K.

Looks like Brownells has the BRN-4 for $249 now

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rance%7cRebate
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    What, other than the safety markings, stands this lower apart from a standard Colt/Mil Spec lower receiver? It sure looks like nothing to my untrained eye. What improvements/innovations justify that price, because there are less expensive plain lowers that you can add your own HK laser engraving to for a lot less cash. It's Brownell's FFS, not H&K.
    It's actually a HK forged receiver, finished by PWS. How much that matters to you is up to you, but it did begin life on a HK machine. PWS did a couple of things that are frustrating, but not world ending. As for additions, a BRN-4 has the buffer retainer hole for the buffer retainer assembly (pin and spring) as well as the flared magwell (although some will complain about the design). It also has a lowered shelf, if that's your jam. But like anything that costs more than "normal," it's up to the individual buyer to make the call if it's worth the price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was actually using my Colt Lowers to shoot my 416 uppers before the BRN4's were avail. I did it for pure aesthetics, nothing more.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You ever have a plan, acquire 90% of the parts, then something else comes along that nullifies your original plan, but now you have all these spare parts lying around? Then the last 10% of the parts show up/come available? Yeah, that's what happened to me.

Quick and dirty picture for illustration.