Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: HK 416 Thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those stocks just look fugly and awkward?..

Like a mix of LMT/magpul/KAK/and grandpas 3” rubber buttpad on his shotty..lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. I also can't stand the grip. For now, the grip will be changed out to a TD grip. The stock is more problematic, as it's on a commercial RE, which is actually a bit longer than a milspec, which then affects LOP, and then...well, it's a house of cards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Huh...I’m surprised and curious why they use the comm size tubes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think this is the final config of this rifle. All black, and backup HK sights.

Name:  IMG_3352.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  681.4 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I think this is the final config of this rifle. All black, and backup HK sights.

Name:  IMG_3352.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  681.4 KB
    Very nice...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I need that exact setup. (maybe with a BCM grip though). first I need a 2nd home in a SBR friendly state.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the 416 and would like to see HK do two things for the US market:

Make a civilian A5 to include the ambi controls, latest gas block and mag well profile.

Lighten the barrel profile. No need for a bull barrel for most applications. Or make two variants. Bull barrel target model and a lighter profile "patrol" model.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    does the HK upper have a higher height rail over a standard AR upper? I wonder if this is a better solution that other regular AR manufacturers should consider since we see the popularity of the unity riser and now bobro has a riser as well. if that extra height can be incorporated into the upper and the rail, then standard lower 1/3 mounts could work to get that more upright head position as well as allow standard BUIS to be used.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by n4p226r View Post
    does the HK upper have a higher height rail over a standard AR upper? I wonder if this is a better solution that other regular AR manufacturers should consider since we see the popularity of the unity riser and now bobro has a riser as well. if that extra height can be incorporated into the upper and the rail, then standard lower 1/3 mounts could work to get that more upright head position as well as allow standard BUIS to be used.
    I hope not. Ideally, you want your sight radius as close to the bore as possible. The main reason the AR sights sit so high above the bore is because the receiver extension (buffer tube) prevents a dropped stock design like you see on pretty much ever other rifle. The only reason I would consider, and one reason I believe some extended height options exist, is to accommodate certain night vision / thermal optics. If you want a more upright head position, simply bring the sights up to your head instead of the other way around and accept the fact that the top of your stock may be above your shoulder. Given the recoil of the 5.56, this isn't, or shouldn't be an issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, the rail sits higher. With a regular 1.5" mount, my rough ruler math says the overall height is about 1.8"-ish. This is also why Larue has had "HK Height" mounts for RDS for a long time...it lowers the optic to still give some sort of co-witness and not be super high (relatively).

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I hope not. Ideally, you want your sight radius as close to the bore as possible. The main reason the AR sights sit so high above the bore is because the receiver extension (buffer tube) prevents a dropped stock design like you see on pretty much ever other rifle. The only reason I would consider, and one reason I believe some extended height options exist, is to accommodate certain night vision / thermal optics. If you want a more upright head position, simply bring the sights up to your head instead of the other way around and accept the fact that the top of your stock may be above your shoulder. Given the recoil of the 5.56, this isn't, or shouldn't be an issue.
    I disagree. I find the mechanics, as they apply to my body anyway, to be more stable with the sight height higher (let's forget about whether it's a 416 or not) and the butt in my shoulder pocket than the butt some distance over my shoulder. Does that sacrifice eye position in the prone? Absolutely, but if it's a rifle where I'm not in the prone much, then I'll take that sacrifice. For the record, I don't shoot NTCH, so no doubt that's part of my body mechanics which probably comes into play.

Badger Ordnance's COMM mount at 1.7 seems to be a nice sweet spot if it's not a dedicated precision setup. I only have a little time behind mine before my Vortex went tits up, but I liked what I was seeing across the shooting positions.

I do find the 416 with a 1.5" mount to be "not quite right" in the prone given that 1.8"-ish total height, at least with the tiny eyebox'ed NX8. It's doable, but I do see accuracy suffer due to muscle strain.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  5S3A9186.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  765.8 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  5S3A9188.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  733.1 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    which lower is that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by n4p226r View Post
    which lower is that?
    Brownells BRN-4, lasered with HK markings.