Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Starting new build: What to do?

So I have a prized Radian lower receiver ordered, which obviously mandates that I must wait for a matching upper receiver and rail. Other than that, my options are limitless. Normally, I'd just go with Geissele parts, willy nilly. What else is out there to satisfy a SPR-ish type build? Seems this will probably want an 18" barrel; are there any of the 15+" hand guards that are worthy of the mission? In my case, I plan to target coyotes and hogs from 300 to 500 yds. My most important question is will this require any special buffer/spring combination? A Rifle length buffer and tube, or would a Carbine lenght on work? I've done 16" and under; I want to build a velocity gun to take advantage of the added barrel length. If going to 20" would be a large benefit, I'd like to hear about it. Please let me hear your opinions.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My 18" and 20" 5.56 guns just run H buffers and carbine springs. They shoot very soft and smooth with the rifle gas.

If I do a Radian build, I'll do an SBR myself... can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Downloads
    Uploads

If Radian releases upper parts that are the same as their factory rifles, they should have a perfect upper/rail for the 18" barrel. Their SPR style is 17.5" barrel.
    Last edited by fledge; 31 July 2017 at 13:55.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    My 18" and 20" 5.56 guns just run H buffers and carbine springs. They shoot very soft and smooth with the rifle gas.

If I do a Radian build, I'll do an SBR myself... can't wait to see how yours turns out!
    Haven't ruled out a form 1 just yet, either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to do a basic 10.5 with the Radian builders set. I think the Radian is still one of the best lowers on the market, definitely worthy of a Form 1

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to do a basic 10.5 with the Radian builders set. I think the Radian is still one of the best lowers on the market, definitely worthy of a Form 1
    Finally! At least one other person who thinks a 10.x" is a proper SBR!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to do a basic 12.5" with the Radian builders set. I think the Radian is still one of the best lowers on the market, definitely worthy of a Form 1
    Fixed it for you. Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the Radian is still one of the best lowers on the market, definitely worthy of a Form 1
    I am just curious about why you say that... before I was simply clueless about it...then I got CMT stuff and ever since I have felt they are on another level.

Is Radian just cool looking or is there superior machine work going on?

I ask because I eventually might build another AR but I don't want to compromise on the quality I am used to with CMT. CMT is a known for me and the only sets I have ever owned.

I am an equal opportunity gun lover but the bar has been set pretty high for me. Champagne taste... beer budget...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Finally! At least one other person who thinks a 10.x" is a proper SBR!
    I have a 10.5 and admittedly I love that thing. I put so much thought into how it is laid out. I love my 10.5!!!

That said I would shoot a 11.5 and a 12.5 with equal amounts of love too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I have a 10.5 and admittedly I love that thing. I put so much thought into how it is laid out. I love my 10.5!!!

That said I would shoot a 11.5 and a 12.5 with equal amounts of love too.
    Those just don't fit my (admittedly narrow) concept of a SBR. Anything shorter is a PDW, longer is a carbine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was in a similar situation with my OG AX556. I ended up SBRing it and recently bought one of their complete 8.7" 300blk uppers thru OpticsPlanet on sale.

I originally was going to wait till their stripped upper/handguard combos were available but I grew tired of waiting. Let me tell you though, this complete upper was worth the money. It's a slick piece.

Downloads
    Uploads

My Radian 14.5 is my favorite. I thought I their upper set is unmatched.

I have a form 1 radian and want the 10.5 upper set. 10.5 barrels are everywhere.
    Last edited by fledge; 1 August 2017 at 10:07.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Sinner, I'll take a 12.5" over a 10.5".
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am just curious about why you say that... before I was simply clueless about it...then I got CMT stuff and ever since I have felt they are on another level.

Is Radian just cool looking or is there superior machine work going on?

I ask because I eventually might build another AR but I don't want to compromise on the quality I am used to with CMT. CMT is a known for me and the only sets I have ever owned.

I am an equal opportunity gun lover but the bar has been set pretty high for me. Champagne taste... beer budget...

Purely... well mainly aesthetics for me. Back when the AX556 was new, the ambi market didn't exist like it does now. The market has definitely caught up and I think AXTS (Radian) missed the huge wave of ambi sales back in the day because they just couldn't produce. However, the AX556 still has the ADAC feature that most other ambi's lack, and it's just plain sexy to me. Always wanted another to SBR.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Fixed it for you. Lol
    No doubt 12.5 is a great SBR length. However, for me it's been tough to find another barrel in 12.5 that meets the standards of my 12.5" Crusader Upper that John Noveske built, which I still have and shoot. 12.5" was Noveske's favorite length and arguably best barrel. If you look around 12.5" isn't all that popular with a lot of barrel manufacturers, they seem to prefer 10.3, 10.5 and 11.5" where have all the 12.5's gone?

Downloads
    Uploads

VSeven has a nice 12.5. And Joel will sell a reduced port if you request it (I have heard).