Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Roger, why NiB instead of NP3? I was excited until I saw that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The carrier now has EXO/NiB finish http://www.uctcoatings.com/capabilities/coatings/

Re: NP3, stay tuned, I like to offer options This is a very small initial run. Personally, I don't pay much attention to the finish, Colt's phosphate finish works fine when properly lubed. I do like when it's easier to clean and smooth.
    Last edited by Duffy; 6 August 2017 at 01:21.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    Roger, why NiB instead of NP3? I was excited until I saw that.
    Din you may like the UCT EXO NiB, it's slicker than regular NiB coatings. It's the coating on Lantac's E-BCG. The friction coefficient of EXO is 0.2, normal NiB is around 0.8. While it doesn't have the friction coefficient of 0.01 like Cryptic Coating's Mystic Black, I do like the EXO on my Lantac better than the NiB on some of my other BCG.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Re: NP3, stay tuned, I like to offer options
    I know it's expensive but have you checked out Cryptic Coating's Mystic Black? The reviews I've read from people running this BCG have been extremely good.

http://www.crypticcoatings.com/mysti...group-coating/
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Mystic black is at the top of a short list for my next build. I would love to see Lantacs or LWRC's one piece carrier coated in that. That would seal the deal for me. Your right Gost the EXO finish seems to hold up better than the standard NiB...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    NP3's cost is a concern, we have to look into it, and may be able to get cost to a manageable level (for the small quantity we're doing). So far, I'm not of the belief the very low friction coefficient is justified by the cost I've seen.

SBCG isn't meant to be the most expensive, with the most exotic coating and claims of enhancements. I think the one piece carrier has a load of possible unforeseen consequences, and may well be a case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Downloads
    Uploads
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had regular NiB wear off. I've not had that experience with EXO or NP3. I'd rather have nitride or phosphate than NiB.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't know that NP3 was that much more expensive than NiB. When you mentioned Sionics' involvement, I just assumed that you'd be going with NP3; maybe they get it cheaper because of how many BCGs they have coated, but they're also not a huge manufacturer. To be fair, I haven't used anything with the EXO coating, but regular NiB has been less than impressive so I'm not in a huge rush to try it out. Right now I have phosphated carriers, hard chrome, Micro Slick, and NP3, and NP3 is my favorite by a lot, to the point I haven't used anything but a Sionics carrier in my last 5 builds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    din, Sionics can help with many aspects of this project, I need to balance this so I don't unintentionally compete with them directly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Understood completely. I'm just a huge fan of Sionics, and a huge fan of FCD, so...you know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I've had regular NiB wear off. I've not had that experience with EXO or NP3. I'd rather have nitride or phosphate than NiB.
    I've had the bearing surface of two NP3 treated carriers wear off. I just chalk it up to use and mating surface wear. Is that not a common thing? Im asking seriously because I only have phosphate treated carriers to compare my experiences to.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would it be fair to say that not all coatings are applied equally across manufacturers? I have a NiB carrier that has over 3K on, all of it with highly corrosive ammo (over 1K select-fire), and it's only fault is that it's not shiny anymore. Meanwhile I have several phosphate carriers with over 2K rounds that show wear.

To me, the important point is that all of them function just fine, so other than ease of cleaning, I'd argue there's too much made about coatings compared to what actually matters. Magazines and gas systems seem to be far more problematic than coatings, at least in my experience.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was tying to find a diplomatic way of saying it, but gatordev did it for me. I too think there's too much emphasis on the coating, I honestly didn't pay much attention to it, I know it is now UCT NiB coated, and Sionics can hook me up with NP3 as well if we want it.

SBCG's emphasis is on reliability, its coating is a nice touch but not its selling point. We'll talk about the bolt next :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    We'll talk about the bolt next :)
    Honestly this is what I've been waiting for. The bolt.