Page 56 of 162 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Let me try to explain it. Since it's an AR, with the optic mounted, eye relief needs to be measured from the charging handle forward in a similar fashion as the iron sights. This allows proper charging handle clearance and also allows the shooter proper position behind the rifle from cheek weld on back.

Here's a helpful illustration:

Also, height over bore is the distance between the center axis of the rifle bore and the middle of the scope objective lens. I try to keep mine as low as possible; a scope cap barely fits on my objective lens it's so low

Based on that information I could move my scope up about 1 or maybe 2 spaces. I only have 3 spaces available going forward. On mine right now the very back tip of the eye cup is about even with the charging handle.

I wonder what I would gain by moving it forward 1/2 inch or so...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Based on that information I could move my scope up about 1 or maybe 2 spaces. I only have 3 spaces available going forward. On mine right now the very back tip of the eye cup is about even with the charging handle.

I wonder what I would gain by moving it forward 1/2 inch or so...
    I understand; sometimes you've got functional limitations but I try to be as close to "right" as I can. On one rifle, my ACOG mount is as far forward as it can get but the length has the rear lens only about 1/2" forward. But that model of ACOG (TA-11) has probably the most forgiving eye relief of any optic I've used.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I understand; sometimes you've got functional limitations but I try to be as close to "right" as I can. On one rifle, my ACOG mount is as far forward as it can get but the length has the rear lens only about 1/2" forward. But that model of ACOG (TA-11) has probably the most forgiving eye relief of any optic I've used.
    I have the option to move mine forward... so I am just kind of wondering what is to be gained by doing it. Would I just be able to lean more into my shots or what?

The specs on my scope says it has a 4" eye relief so I technically could put it up some if it's worth it.

I mounted my scope where I did based off of google and internet advice. What THEY said was basically 'go back as far as you can without interfering with your charging handle'...

I am just curious if it will give me better body position or what.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It also depends on how you shoot your rifle. NTCH is one way, but not always THE way to shoot, depending on the optic. Some respected guys run their stock all the way out and advocate that. Personally, with my long arms, I find a happy medium for RDS, but for magnified optics, I'm more concerned about how it fits when prone, which for me, is the most "demanding" position for eye relief. I then adjust the stock based on what I need for other shooting positions (sitting, standing, etc).

Then there's the Elcan, which claims to have better relief than an ACOG, but I've found it to be no better when at 4x, which causes it to sit pretty far back with a 4 position stock at the first click...at least for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    It also depends on how you shoot your rifle. NTCH is one way, but not always THE way to shoot, depending on the optic. Some respected guys run their stock all the way out and advocate that. Personally, with my long arms, I find a happy medium for RDS, but for magnified optics, I'm more concerned about how it fits when prone, which for me, is the most "demanding" position for eye relief. I then adjust the stock based on what I need for other shooting positions (sitting, standing, etc).

Then there's the Elcan, which claims to have better relief than an ACOG, but I've found it to be no better when at 4x, which causes it to sit pretty far back with a 4 position stock at the first click...at least for me.
    I understand NTCH isn't the only way to shoot a rifle but it's sort of how the AR/M16 series was designed. I don't touch my nose to it anymore but it's very close and as long as I've shot the rifle I'm fairly certain I get the same sight picture/cheek weld. If I have any doubts, I can always throw the index finger up there and verify I'm a fingertip width away. One reason I don't like the PRS stock is because the built in cheek pad forces you to set your gun up in one way only; there's no room for adjustment and even at the lowest setting you need some seriously high rings to see through a scope.

And there's no way possible for Elcan to claim that realistically given the different models of ACOG. It would be hard pressed to beat the -11 or -33 series.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, like I said, I think there's a happy medium, and for magnified optics, I put my head in the same place you describe, or as best I can. I was just mentioning another method for Alamo, since he's concerned about the "right" way to mount the gun, and I'd argue there's lots more variables than just a one-size-fits-all spot.

And there's no way possible for Elcan to claim that realistically given the different models of ACOG. It would be hard pressed to beat the -11 or -33 series.
    I mean the -01 and the -31, which are both 1.5". Elcan claims ~2.5", but it feels almost about as close as my TA-01NSN in order to not get scope shadow.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    The suppressor is as long as the rifle lol
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by toolboxluis00200 View Post
    The suppressor is as long as the rifle lol
    Lol not quite but close. I may get another smaller more compact one soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    Very nicely done !

Would loved to have seen a "ketchup" stain somewhere along an edge of this shot
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Very nicely done !

Would loved to have seen a "ketchup" stain somewhere along an edge of this shot
    Lol... my friend and I were actually talking about doing some medic type shots to play around with fake blood.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Come over to Baltimore. Just about every abandoned building has bodily fluid stains and chalk outlines.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Come over to Baltimore. Just about every abandoned building has bodily fluid stains and chalk outlines.
    That would be funny if it wasn't bordering on truth...

Downloads
    Uploads