Page 63 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Most consider a SBR a CQB, so in their opinion they only need a RDS.
    Yeah I see that. I guess 'CQB' can mean a number of things. Based on my research a 12.5" 5.56 SBR it should still be pretty effective out to 4 or 500 yards. That's still very good. The blackout with subs, not so far. I'm guessing about 200 yards for subsonic 300.

Uwone said he liked 1-4x on an SBR and I can see that working just fine in many cases. That said as far as my theoretical SBR ownership I am leaning towards a 1x RDS or something like that. Of course I am still learning, but I would think an SBR excels at helping clear rooms, ducking behind cars, getting in and out of vehicles or whatever. On the surface it seems like it would make the platform a lot more flexible (of course given that you are gonna do all that stuff).

I think an RDS is pretty standard fare but then Uwone went all contrarian on us

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Based on my research a 12.5" 5.56 SBR it should still be pretty effective out to 4 or 500 yards.
    There's a difference between capable and effective. Capable yes, effective not really. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have under perfect conditions done so, but I can guarantee you that given any real type of wind or external forces, they'll see they're accuracy drop greatly. And, at 4-500 they're accuracy is likely 2+MOA. there's a reason you don't see SBRs run in comps. That said, some people just prefer magnified optics because of the more exacting precision it affords.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd be far less concerned about what's effective for others and figure out how you want to use the gun. My guess is the reason UWone likes a variable 1-4 is because of the job he does, where being able to recon a position far more than shoot at one, but still have the ability to be precise if needed AND be able to clear a room, if needed. But as a cop, there's far less shooting than observing (I hope, anyway).

If you want your SBR to run 'n gun in close, just get a RDS. There's no substitute. Want to extend it out to 200-300? Maybe look at a variable or a TA-31 style optic. But it really depends on how you want to use it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I'd be far less concerned about what's effective for others and figure out how you want to use the gun. My guess is the reason UWone likes a variable 1-4 is because of the job he does, where being able to recon a position far more than shoot at one, but still have the ability to be precise if needed AND be able to clear a room, if needed. But as a cop, there's far less shooting than observing (I hope, anyway).

If you want your SBR to run 'n gun in close, just get a RDS. There's no substitute. Want to extend it out to 200-300? Maybe look at a variable or a TA-31 style optic. But it really depends on how you want to use it.
    The solution to all this is to have more than one SBR :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was pretty much my solution.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the 1-4 because of my astigmatism which makes an RDS look like a blur I can still hit with them but not as precise as a 1-4 even only on 1 power

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    For all the full on fun button fans...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    For all the full on fun button fans...

It's all about the 3rd pin!

Nice Pic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a little bit of time to snap some quick shots in-between. Not exactly my greatest work, but still having fun lol...

Downloads
    Uploads
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    The specwar K sure is tiny

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by navyis2 View Post
    The specwar K sure is tiny

Nice cans

Have you got to use the spec k yet? Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not yet, I just picked it up today. If there is any interest I can do a little write up when I hit the range.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by navyis2 View Post
    Not yet, I just picked it up today. If there is any interest I can do a little write up when I hit the range.
    I'd like to see that. I almost got a K last time I was at my dealer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The more I shoot suppressed 5.56, the more I realize it's still F'ing loud, so I don't mind using shorter cans to mitigate blast and flash.