Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Yea register it for the 7.5" and you can always swap uppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd argue a more accurate statement is to register it for whatever the first upper will end up being (ie, the one you'll have on hand first), then swap uppers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I'd argue a more accurate statement is to register it for whatever the first upper will end up being (ie, the one you'll have on hand first), then swap uppers.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought "technically" you weren't suppose to go lower than what it's registered as? Which is what I Vader my statement on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As long as it's a temporary change and you keep the original upper you can put any length you want. The ATF recommends that you send them notification if you intend to change to a different length, otherwise. You won't get a confirmation, it's a one way notification letter from you to the ATF.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Really interested in the definitive answer; my understanding is once you have an SBR lower, it can host any pistol upper, as long as it can be returned to it's registered configuration. Is this incorrect?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    As long as it's a temporary change and you keep the original upper you can put any length you want. The ATF recommends that you send them notification if you intend to change to a different length, otherwise. You won't get a confirmation, it's a one way notification letter from you to the ATF.
    Will, is that for a semi-permanent change, or say if you want to slap a 7.5" on and throw fireballs for a couple hours?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Really interested in the definitive answer; my understanding is once you have an SBR lower, it can host any pistol upper, as long as it can be returned to it's registered configuration. Is this incorrect?
    The NFA Section mod on ARFCOM (BigWaylon) has always held that once it's an SBR'd lower, you can use any upper on it. The ATF stuff says "temporary" change but there's nothing that dictates temporary vs permanent unless you sell it I guess

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know the answer but most likely the ATF is arbitrary AF on a lot of things and this issue is probably no different.

Ask 10 ATF agents and you will get 4 or 5 various answers at least.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Exactly, there are probably a few dozen determination letters that all contradict each other.

The way it's written, if you make a permanent change, they suggest you send a notification letter. I am of the opinion that a permanent change would be disassembling or selling the original upper, and not having another with the same barrel length.

I have half a dozen sbr lowers that were submitted with different barrel length and oal, and swap uppers all the time. There should be nothing to worry about.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought "technically" you weren't suppose to go lower than what it's registered as? Which is what I Vader my statement on.

What I was getting at is that it has nothing to do with what's the shortest barrel. That's a common internet misconception. It's based off of what the initial ("permanent") configuration was. With the AR platform, that's always where the confusion comes, since it's so configurable.

As Will said, you can put as many uppers on the lower once it's SBR'ed, regardless of how "small" the barrel length was when taxed, but technically (which of course is different than what may be done in practice) if you sell/destroy the original upper (ie, original configuration), you have to notify the ATF of the change.

So if he is taxed on a lower stating 7.5, but never buys a 7.5" and buys a 10.5", then that's technically a permanent change. And again, as Will said, you just have to send off a letter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the clarification.

Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW: if anybody writes the ATF seeking a "clarification" and fucks the whole thing up like some dope did with arm braces, we should drive to their house and beat them senseless with their own arm, ripped from their rshoulder joint!

And yes, I know they reversed their decision, but stupid questions just beg for that shit!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cause options....

Name:  5S3A5817.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  785.0 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Cause options....

Name:  5S3A5817.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  785.0 KB
    Just saw that on IF. Hawt.

Who is the lefty upper for?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Just saw that on IF. Hawt.

Me! Lol j/k he shoots left like I do lol

This just reminds me I need to do a lefty build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post

Me