Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best .308 BCG?

Downloads
    Uploads

Best .308 BCG?

I am sitting in a hotel room in China right now trying to think about something other than work....which means spending more money

The last time I did this about a week or two ago I bought two suppressors.

I still haven't quite gotten over my .308/AR10 fixation yet so in my down time I have been planning out what a build would look like, especially now that I have a .308 can on the way.

There is a lot of selection on a lot of parts, but it seems like there is limited choices on BCG for an AR10. I know I have asked that question before (or I think I have).

I am pretty tight with money but for a long term investment its just better to get what you want the first time and be done with it. That said I don't want to spend $500 on a BCG that was soaked in whale snot for a month then gold plated. I don't really want anything shiny because guns get dirty. Black is my preference.

I have several AR15 BCG now and my favorite ones are Griffin and CMT in a close second. They are both nitride. I have phosphate too but now I actually prefer the nitride. You can't find a tool mark on the Griffin one. It's slick too.

Aero is a maybe for me. I don't hold anything against them at all, but I am weighing other options sheerly on the grounds that I would like something like a Fathom or Griffin or something like that. I think Lantac makes one but they appreciate theirs a bit too much.

Lets face it. I am going for a bit of vanity here when it comes to brand name/logo etc, but not too much vanity.

Any ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads
    LMT.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    LMT.
    Yes.

Here are some others I've used that have worked for me:

Rainier Nitrided .308
    FALKOR Nitrided
    AIM was hit and miss. Sent one back, they replaced it, and it's worked 100% since.

I was going to put the Lantac .308 EBCG, but UPS stole it. I'm sure the Lantac is 100% though if it's anything like their 5.56 EBCGs

Downloads
    Uploads
    My Rainier one worked fine given the operating conditions it was asked to operate in. But honestly, the easiest answer is to just buy a complete LMT or KAC rifle and call it a day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    My Rainier one worked fine given the operating conditions it was asked to operate in. But honestly, the easiest answer is to just buy a complete LMT or KAC rifle and call it a day.
    100%. Main reason I decided to finally get a factory MWS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Right now to be honest I have a lot going on with other non gun things. Talking shop with the brothers is more than welcome believe me.

Usually when my wants linger for a long time its just a matter of time after that. When I get back to America (been gone almost two months) I might hunt someone down with an AR10 and give it a whirl.

Either way I go though I have a Recce 7 on the way so I am diving into that end of the pool one way or another. I have a lot of options on the want list and that Recce 7 can go on a whole lot of things....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rainier Ultramatch or JP FMOS.

And if you are buying a complete .308 just buy a SCAR. My SR25 convinced me Knights is a whole lot of upcharge for a name.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Rainier Ultramatch or JP FMOS.

And if you are buying a complete .308 just buy a SCAR. My SR25 convinced me Knights is a whole lot of upcharge for a name.
    I'd love to have a KAC SR25, but at like 1/2 price. Never super impressed with my limited trigger time on one to justify spending 2x MWS price

Downloads
    Uploads
    If people are going to suggest LMT then I'll suggest a JP LMOS w/ a POF roller cam. Pair it with an SLR Sentry adjustable gas block and you'll be able to tune for reliable function and smooth action.

My only factory AR is an LMT, so I'm a fan, but it's easy to save $1,000-$2,000 over the MWS and end up with a weapon just as reliable, accurate, and lighter. I personally don't care for the handguard options on the MWS and the proprietary parts will add cost and limitations if you want to tinker. Arguably, there is no need to tinker w/ the MWS, but for those of us where building is half the fun it just, well, steals half the fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    If people are going to suggest LMT then I'll suggest a JP LMOS w/ a POF roller cam. Pair it with an SLR Sentry adjustable gas block and you'll be able to tune for reliable function and smooth action.

My only factory AR is an LMT, so I'm a fan, but it's easy to save $1,000-$2,000 over the MWS and end up with a weapon just as reliable, accurate, and lighter. I personally don't care for the handguard options on the MWS and the proprietary parts will add cost and limitations if you want to tinker. Arguably, there is no need to tinker w/ the MWS, but for those of us where building is half the fun it just, well, steals half the fun.
    I think that's the entire point of the factory gun like the MWS, there is no need to "tinker" The MWS / L129A1 is a battle proven rifle, not your average cobbled together home build. Then again not everyone wants or needs a battle proven gun, I totally get that, nor do they want to pay for it. I have however, seen used (mostly lightly used) MWS's on the secondary market for close to 2K. That's a steal.

The gun shoots like accurately, reliably, with minimal overgas out of the box. Probably the smoothest shooting 308 I've ever shot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I'd love to have a KAC SR25, but at like 1/2 price. Never super impressed with my limited trigger time on one to justify spending 2x MWS price
    Exactly. If you saw the condition/finish quality of my SR25 out of the box you would understand why I laughed about people complaining about a blemished lower. But it was a "battle rifle" so I partially expected it to be rough around the edges as most Knights weapons are. But it was also severely overgassed and had a sharp, hard to control recoil. I'll put any .308 platform I've built against a SR25 for how it runs. But that goes back to the battle rifle and the requirements to run no matter what. I'm certain the SR25 would eat just about anything you fed it, as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I think that's the entire point of the factory gun like the MWS, there is no need to "tinker" The MWS / L129A1 is a battle proven rifle, not your average cobbled together home build. Then again not everyone wants or needs a battle proven gun, I totally get that, nor do they want to pay for it. I have however, seen used (mostly lightly used) MWS's on the secondary market for close to 2K. That's a steal.

The gun shoots like accurately, reliably, with minimal overgas out of the box. Probably the smoothest shooting 308 I've ever shot.
    I really need to get my hands on a LMT .308.

And off topic I know but a few people whose opinions I trust have raved about the new Daniel Defense .308 and how well they shoot. Including one person with the largest collection of SR25's I know of in one place. Our opinions differ though as he dislikes SCAR's lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a little trigger time on the DD5v1/v2. The original v1 had a pretty sharp recoil, but the newer v2 with 18" barrel and rifle gas is a whole lot smoother. It also helps to ditch the carbine receiver extension/proprietary buffer and go to an A5 length with a normal H3 carbine buffer (like an LMT MWS). Very smooth, and surprisingly light.

Interestingly, my friend sold his MWS and DD5v2 and now has an ACC, but has no range time yet. I'll be curious if he keeps it or goes back to one of the others.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had one from a major sponsor here that was expensive and an absolute piece of crap. In all fairness, I won't name them, because there was such a length of time and trouble between when I bought it and the day I threw it in the trash. By the time I had quit screwing with it, and figured out the problem, I had not contacted them about it, thus the anonymity concerning that one.
    Replaced it with an Aero Precision nitride BCG. "Relatively" inexpensive solution and the thing runs as smooth as butter since the first shot.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 21 August 2017 at 06:31.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I run a Jp Vmos with an enhanced bolt their silent capture buffer and a Superlative Arms gas block , not a cheap set up but the carrier is half black
    Name:  jp-enterprises-large-frame-vmos-bolt-carrier-group-w-2-tungten-and-high-pressure-308-bolt-jpbc-7.jpg
Views: 2614
Size:  21.9 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  1C99D36F-7D68-44C9-981A-7BA30E96A612.jpeg
Views: 2891
Size:  1.15 MB
    Replaced my RA UltraMatch 308 BCG w the Lantac E-BCG Heavy a few days ago.. Haven't shot it yet..
    There was nothing wrong w the Ultra Match.. Im just goin thru all of my rifles when my wife is not lookin..
    She bought me this Receiver Set a few Christmas's ago.. I did the rest.. Not a factory rifle..
    Last edited by ZhouJett; 9 September 2018 at 21:57.