Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

If there could be only one.

So last night I was talking to a good friend and fellow shooter when a question presented itself, the premiss of which was based around the fact you can only (practically) carry one long gun at a time. What long gun would you grab if you had to suddenly deal with or go into situations unknown, for an unspecified period of time, assuming you also had the ability to carry your favorite side arm? It more or less devolved into a SHTFantasy discussion, with anecdotal data considered from other friends who *have* been there/done that.

About the only variable that seemed a positive across all spectrums was suppression. The weapon should probably be suppressed.

Typically it seems everyone wants to say "SBR!"
    People here, and people who use their weapons in buildings and tight environments, and especially when vehicles come into the equation.
    Yeah, that makes a LOT of sense.

However another guy we know pulled security back in Katrina. He carried a 14.5" barreled AR and red dot. He came back saying he was buying a .308. Why? Because while he was there someone opened fire on him with a hunting rifle, and his set up restricted his ability to effectively engage the threat at the distance he found himself working with. Also familiar with stories where soldiers/Marines were forced into long range (800ish meters) combat when it came to dealing with mortars.
    Well... now an SPR makes more sense than an SBR.

But in this conversation you don't know what you're gonna run across, so what gun do you grab? Let's tighten it up and assume you only have one long gun available. What do you want it to be? How would it be set up? I'm curious to know what you guys think.

Other factors that got thrown out for consideration last night also had to do with concealment. Put a Law-Tactical folding stock adapter on a small enough PDW and it'll fit in a backpack. Great, now it's concealed but you may or may not have to employ your pistol first until such a time as you can get out your "bigger" gun. Which is better depends on the situation, but you have no advanced warning on what that situation is.

Personal skill also is a factor. For me with a red dot, it seems about 300 yards is the upper limit for consistency on a cardboard silhouette. Give me my 1-4 Accupower and I'm good out to 500 meters on 12" targets. I'm not sure about further, 500m is the longest I have access to.

I'll present it to you this way; you can only have one AR (or, ok, long gun. Doesn't have to be an AR). This will have to deal with anything you may need such a weapon for, from home defense to your favorite or LEAST favorite SHTFantasy scenario. What would it be? You have the benefit of also having your favorite handgun along also.

I almost broke my brain on this last night, as there is no clear best answer it seems.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads

Since I don't have a .308 caliber, I guess the decision for me would be my recce as it gives the balance between range and ammo sourcing. It definitely would be kept in a non-descript container for as long as possible.
    Last edited by Joelski; 14 August 2017 at 13:44.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a couple of options available. However, I am old and decrepit (more old than decrepit) so weight comes into play. If I were still a young stud, I would pull out the 12.5" Sig 716 CQB in 308, it has a USO 1-8 on it, with the AAC 762-SD and one of the 1911's, probably the Les Baer P-II. The Sig SBR weighs within a half pound of the full size Sig 308. Now, if I'm patrolling The Wrinkle Ranch in the golf cart (or I'm mobile) - it is good to go.

Since I'm not (young or stud), or if I were hoofing it on foot ... I would use the LWRC 10.5" 6.8 SPC, Aimpoint PRO, with the AAC M4-2000 Mod-8. Again a 1911 for the pistol.

I think both of those options give me any range I cannot sneak away from.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I disagree with the idea you can only carry one long gun in a practical situation. I pack a Remington 700 regularly while carrying a 10.5" AR for hunting. I generally hunt with a 700 AAC-SD in 308 with a 4-14x44 FFP or a custom 700 BDL in 7RM with a 4-16x50 FFP packed while also carrying a 10.5" .300BLK AR15. Bolt action for precision work outside 100 and the AR for anything inside 100. I do this regularly with little issue, so in a SHTF situation, that would likely be my load out. Sidearm would probably take my Springfield Operator, ideally everything suppressed.

If money were no object and I absolutely have to pick one rifle I would like to try running a SCAR-H instead of the two rifles, and a Nighthawk GRP instead of the Springfield.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the market the way it is, I'm considering a SCAR H vs. LMT or MR762, with the SCAR being the most accessible of those three, dollar wise. Of course, I'm still pining for a proper MASADA, so wish in one hand...
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a Tavor SAR that I liked a lot. I wasn't wanting one but got it in a trade. It had a 16.5" barrel and was still only a little over 26", shorter than my SBR. The ergonomics and handling was also very good for me, and the maintenance was very simple. The only complaint I had with it was the trigger, but the trigger wasn't as bad as the Sig MPXs I've shot. A guy offered me $1,500 for it so I sold it, wish I hadn't. Will probably end up getting a X95 sometime in the future, the trigger in it is supposed to be a lot better.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like Jerry's answer.

6.8 SPC as an intermediate cartridge that works in about every scenario and in the AR platform out of a 16" barrel. Only concern is ammo availability so wouldn't be my choice in a post-apocalypse scenario.

G17 or maybe a G19 for sidearm, of course.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It all depends on the situation. Since I am in an urban area, for short term chaos like a hurricane or riot where I'm hunkered down I'd depend on my .300BLK SBR w/can and 1-4 TR24. Longer scenario where I have to move and carry gear it would be the 5.56 SBR w/can and TA33. I want to be able to hump max ammo in a common caliber. I don't think .308 would be worth giving up I'm guessing 30% ammo load. Shorter range baddies are much more likely to be the threat than far out snipers.

G19 for sidearm with can and long mags in reserve.

But in reality the above is probably moot as I would be teamed up with 4-10 nearby family members so would have long guns in both calibers. And would hand out .357/.38 lever & 9mm AR & Scorpion if we gathered more shooters than I have ARs. Hopefully a 6.5 Creedmoor AR will be in the mix too before the SHTF.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly if I had this kind of situation I would probably carry my suppressed 16" AR with a lot of match grade ammo packed in 20 round mags.

The exact way I have it set up now is what I would carry. 1-4x with an Atlas bipod and a carry sling.

Within 200 yards I could do head shots all day long. I can blow up a coke can at 200 yards pretty much every time. At 300 easy center of mass or better.

I would not want to get into a firefight with anyone, but rather escape and evade, and attack if needed.

.223 vs .308 would still be the same strategy but one would allow for a total overall lighter package and/or more ammo. So I would probably opt for the .223 for the sake of mobility.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Right now, if I had to pack up and leave the house (or I guess even if I needed a rifle IN the house), I'd find myself reaching for my 16". It's pretty much set up perfectly for me.
    If I needed to pass my wife a rifle, I'd probably hand her my 16" and I'd likely grab my WASR.

I'm "in town". While grabbing the .308 would be nice, I don't think it's needed in my current placement. (Not to mention I still need to grab an adjustable gas block for it.)
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    12 gauge. Shots over 100 yards in a "defensive scenario" just are not realistic. Under 50 yards and up against multiple targets it's hard to beat a shotgun. And ammo is more than plentiful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    12 gauge. Shots over 100 yards in a "defensive scenario" just are not realistic. Under 50 yards and up against multiple targets it's hard to beat a shotgun. And ammo is more than plentiful.
    I was going to say shotgun as well. However my uncle is borrowing the one I'd grab.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a love/hate relation with this question, it comes up a lot amongst friends. It's just like sitting around the campfire and someone asks "what's the best cal. for elk, etc...or Harley guys and someone asks "what's the best oil...". It seems simple, but the scenario's are so varied that correct answers are almost infinite.

Given that, I have different rifles designated for different circumstances.

At my age, if I can stay in my house or very close by, one of my lightweight's would be great for me. I'm not going out of my way to try to shoot someone at 300 yards, especially if they're not heading towards me. Why give up my position/location?

If I am going to have to leave my house my Reeceish LMT with a Sig Tango 6 1X6X24. The thing is a freaking rock and runs like a sewing machine. If I am going to have to leave my house for more than a day or so, I'd seriously consider my LR-10 in case I came across a deer or stray cow and really needed the meat. It could also serve as a long range deterrent if folks at a distance are closing in, meaning to take me out. Just set it out so I could move about the house with it.

If I want to slip outside at night, to do a little recon around the maze of a condo unit I live in, again it would be with one of my lighter AR's and a Aimpoint.

Since there are so many unforeseeable and predictable situations, I actually built or bought my collection around that concept.

Either the question or the answers, the possibilities are mind boggling. But I think I could pick what I thought would best serve me in a particular situation, without having to put much thought into it. Lastly, any rifle beats no rifle, so....

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 15 August 2017 at 08:42.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its all going to come down to where you live. In the country, longer shots will probably be more common. Inner city, up close and personal. Suburbs, close to intermediate ranges. In the woods, same as the burbs. I do agree with the shotgun but a 210 round 556 load-out would serve me better. If its going to come it will most likely be where you live. Being prepped and trained for that scenario is the best we can do. If you want to fantasize at least do it about where it may really happen for you. 6.8 is bad ass, and in the last ammo scare that and .40 ammo was about the only thing available...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Its all going to come down to where you live. In the country, longer shots will probably be more common. Inner city, up close and personal. Suburbs, close to intermediate ranges. In the woods, same as the burbs. I do agree with the shotgun but a 210 round 556 load-out would serve me better. If its going to come it will most likely be where you live. Being prepped and trained for that scenario is the best we can do. If you want to fantasize at least do it about where it may really happen for you. 6.8 is bad ass, and in the last ammo scare that and .40 ammo was about the only thing available...
    This.

Sorry Jerry, but 6.8 as a go to is a pretty much a joke. Great round, but after you burn up your 3 mags of it, the gun is useless.

I'd go with my Noveske 14.5" Has north of 5k through it, regular maintenance done, trust my life with it as I carried it for years. Mainly sits on the rack now, but if I could only have one and I had to keep my head down...

Name:  Duty.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  37.4 KB