Downloads
    Uploads

LW BCG for Suppressed?

Anyone here ever tried using a lightweight BCG on a suppressed set up? General internet consensus seems to be to go heavier, but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work if you were also using adjustable gas.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say that heavier would generally be better. When shooting suppressed there is not just the question of more gas, but also that gas being at a higher pressure. Even with an adjustable block the pressure curve would look more like a spike than a bell curve. That quick spike in pressure if not met with strong enough resistance would lead to the carrier speed being too fast. Conversely more mass would lead to better timing of the rifle. It's the same reason why I had to use a heavier buffer on my SBR.

Please keep in mind what I said all depends on the total set up. If you put a light weight carrier in an 18"++ gun and shot it suppressed it might not make a huge difference (maybe). But as a principle it will cause more issues than solve them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I built 2 rifles with lightweight BCG's. They both were extremely sensitive to ammo and convinced me that mass in the carrier is not only better but needed for the weapon to perform properly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems like it would just make the adjustable gas block work harder to do it's job, if not less effective.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I found this video by JP about gas vs. mass regulation, and it did touch on the subject. Pretty much what you guys said, more mass for suppressed.

Good video.

-One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler