Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Shot three hundred rounds. Great day. Even my 55gr FMJ plinkers (22.5gr RE10x) groups were under an inch at 100yds

I tested 6 loads with 77gr TMK and 6 loads with 69gr TMK, and some regular SMKs of the same weight.

I let some girls shoot it who had never shot a rifle and were nervous about their boyfriends rifles but shot mine with NO hesitation and they both loved how soft shooting it was. The intermediate gas system on that 16 inch rifle is really nice

There was a group of friends with some nice rigs, Savage 338LM, Ruger .308 RPR, Dragunov, etc. I had both my Rainier Ultramatch builds out and talked about the Rainier barrels and my suppressors with them

I'll post more about the loads and groups etc later

Name:  IMG_7863.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  1.04 MB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  IMG_8037.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  1.26 MB

Awww yeah!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to see the groups! You tease.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I want to see the groups! You tease.
    Yes.....yes!!! Let the tease burn. All those Mini-4 pictures aren't so fun now, are they??

Rainier Ultramatch Mods 1&2.

I have all the targets in my range bag. The barrel shot amazingly well. I had a guess of where the sweet spots would be based on prior testing of similar barrels and I wasn't disappointed. I'll get them done tonight

Downloads
    Uploads
    All right, here were my winning loads. I'm going to load up more of each and also .1gr up and down from these and head back out this coming weekend I hope.

All were 5 round groups (I shot two of each as confirmation groups). I kept shooting the 23.6gr RE15/77gr TMK load because it was just cutting a hole in the target and I didn't want to stop. I pulled one high but 10rd groups are tougher for me.

Name:  IMG_8128.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  407.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8132.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  551.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8131.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  707.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8130.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  589.8 KB

Above 23.8gr RE15 with the 77gr the shot groups opened WAY up. They were compressed a good bit although I did not see any pressure signs on the spent brass/primer.

I didn't get as good of a result with the 69gr TMKs as I was hoping but I was on the hotter end of the charge scale. I'll try again with some lower charges.

The intermediate gas system is great. EXTREMELY soft shooting, more so than my gas adjusted midlength. I will invest in an adjustable gas block but for now, I'm going to swap in an H2 buffer as the carbine buffer had the ejection at about 2 o'clock suppressed. I honestly can't remember where it was unsuppressed; I'll make note of it next weekend.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like some excellent initial results.

I had my doubts they would be as good as the Gen 1 Shilen barrels, it must be that magical TiN Extension. I'll make sure to get you an adjustable gas block for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    RE15 has been so temperature sensitive for me that I'm scared to use it, especially when I approach max case volume. Your loads look really good with it, though. Keep your ammo out of the sun!
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking good! 77gr TMK's over 23.6 gr of RE15 is what I've been shooting for a while out of a couple barrels. Seems like it might be a sweet spot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Looks like some excellent initial results.

I had my doubts they would be as good as the Gen 1 Shilen barrels, it must be that magical TiN Extension. I'll make sure to get you an adjustable gas block for it.
    That would be awesome. If I didn't shoot suppressed so much, it probably wouldn't be an issue. I'd love to have it if there's one laying around, but I'll check the brass patterns unsuppressed again (and write it down this time )

Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    RE15 has been so temperature sensitive for me that I'm scared to use it, especially when I approach max case volume. Your loads look really good with it, though. Keep your ammo out of the sun!
    I shoot RE15 almost exclusively for heavy .223 and .308, and I have read about the temperature sensitivity, but I've never experienced it. It may be because my ammo is either in mags on my person or in boxes in my range bag...but I shoot the same load all four seasons. I'll pay more attention to it moving forward though.

Quote Originally Posted by DeviantLogic View Post
    Looking good! 77gr TMK's over 23.6 gr of RE15 is what I've been shooting for a while out of a couple barrels. Seems like it might be a sweet spot.
    23.2gr and 23.0gr also shoots well, it's just a tad slower. For longer ranges, I imagine it would open up more or start dropping a good bit quicker than the 23.6gr load.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got a CMC flat 3.5lb in bound for it because PSA had a sale going for $129. I have a spare Geissele SSA-E I might end up using but I shot a Geissele 2 stage National Match and it was awesome. We'll see.

Rainier lower is on the way, and I'll be getting other parts to finish it soon. I'll probably leave it black til I can cerakote it

Name:  IMG_8621.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  2.74 MB

Should be hitting the range this coming weekend for more testing!

Downloads
    Uploads
    23.6gr is the ticket! Did some more testing and took more today. It was a GORGEOUS day for shooting; 58* and sunny, warming to 73* around 12:30 when I finished.

I shot some more loads to see if any worked better than the previously established go-to loads.

I tested ejection patterns suppressed and unsuppressed

I did a few mags dumps and got the barrel extremely hot then shot a 5 round precision group to see if accuracy was affected. The result was a very close to MOA (need to measure) group that could've been my fatigue more than anything. I wanted to do that test because I was thinking of the rifle and a designated marksman role. If I needed to provide suppressive fire and then immediately switch to precision fire, would there be any impact on the rifle/barrel's ability to do so? I performed that test after shooting 50 other rounds of various tests charges, so the barrel wasn't spotless (nor should it need to be, IMO)

Name:  IMG_8995.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  1.39 MB

Name:  IMG_9013.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  1.74 MB

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is an awesome looking rifle! Nice shooting!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Got a CMC flat 3.5lb in bound for it because PSA had a sale going for $129. I have a spare Geissele SSA-E I might end up using but I shot a Geissele 2 stage National Match and it was awesome. We'll see.
    Nice group. I was a Geissele fan till I used a Hiperfire trigger.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Assemble my lower half, my trigger pulling, ammo feeding servant!!!"

Name:  IMG_9468.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  1.26 MB