Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

300 BLK Discussion

I would like you guys to discuss a little bit about 300 BLK. I actually don't have a specific question--but I do have some thoughts that I will write below. I just want to hear various or even contradicting opinions about the caliber (particularly considering my use).

Here is basically where I am going with this... as usual I am trying to figure out my next steps. I have a Reece 7 on the way but I have no host gun for it (yet).

After a little bit of thought I kind of figured 300 BLK might be a low hanging fruit here.

===

1. I absolutely LOVE shooting suppressed. If I do decide to go into this caliber I won't even bother with loading supersonic rounds. I will just reload a 5 gallon bucket full of subs to get started.

2. I don't think 300 BLK is a really practical round for SD or anything like that. That being said I would not want to get shot with it. I am guessing a 220grain heavy sub would be right about on par with .45 ACP ball ammo but I could be totally wrong there.

3. I have always wanted a PISTOL caliber carbine but so far I haven't seen anything that floats my boat yet. If I could get a 9mm and/or .45 SBR I would be all over that. The downside is I would have to SBR more guns which for something I am not 100% sure about isn't a thing yet. I don't mind SBRing more guns but I want it to be something I will be in love with 20 years from now.

4. I already have an SBR lower, mags, and really everything I would need (except the upper). Really this is part of the thing... it's sort of a low hanging fruit.

===

It's very unlikely that I will shoot at anything living with that round with the of possible exception of a pig. Everything else about it, just like almost all my other guns are strictly fun guns. Range toys, or whatever you want to call it.

I already have a bunch of 5.56 brass but if I get into this I will probably get more and just convert a few thousand rounds or more just to have around. As a habit I normally keep prepped and primed brass in storage and just dip out some as I need it.

I have a heavy buffer (H2) and an extra power spring in my lower now. Will this present a problem? I don't think so but I might as well ask. On that note is an adjustable block needed for this round? Does it have the same sometimes picky-ness of a 5.56 SBR?

What length of barrel is best and why? I am honestly leaning around 9" or so but I have no real basis on why. The only real basis I have is that my current 10.5 handles GREAT. I love the balance of it as well as the suppressor/handguard fit. If the OAL is about the same I don't think the handling will be drastically different. Like I said though, I could be persuaded one way or other. I have minimal experience with various SBR lengths.

===

Anyway I think I could get into that caliber hardware wise for pretty cheap considering I have all the other stuff already.

(The only stuff I would really need is an upper, optic, bullets, powder, and some dies for the most part)

Other things I am interested in is how the brass is converted and what kinds of powder are the way to go for subs. (Also if you know the approximate cost to reload per round that will help too)

Anything else you want to throw in there is fine. I just envision being able to shoot a lot more often without waking up the dead or pissing off the neighborhood. Basically 300 BLK in my mind will be sort of a half pistol half rifle caliber but it might just be the low hanging fruit to scratch my pistol caliber carbine itch (at least for now).

Ideally I would get a 9mm or .45 SBR but who knows. If the money fairy visits me or UW sends me a golden goose hatchling I will just get em all. For now though I am thinking through the various host options for my Reece 7. So far I have 4 or 5 contenders but where to start first is more my line of thinking.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 22 August 2017 at 03:46.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry for the long post. I know already. I am sitting in an airport in another country in a half way daze so please forgive me in advance for rambling on a bit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that all of the reasons that you cited are the reasons that I got into the 300 blk last year. Now it is by far my favorite rifle to shoot because it is so quiet and runs like a clock. I run a 8.7" barrel suppressed exclusively.

I too plan to reload for it but decided against modifying 223/556 cases and just start with 300 blk cases. IMO, anyone that had issues with ejections were using converted cases and I just didn't want to go thru the effort of converting just to introduce a potential problem. Also, when you can get S&B 220GR Subs for $0.50 per round that made the decision a no brainer for me. Once I create a nice collection of 300 blk cases I am ready to reload but don't have any data to share yet. I am stocked up and ready to use Nosler 190gr bullets over Accurate 1680 powder. I got the Noslers on the cheap at Shooters Pro Shop. Also got some 175gr bullets to experiment with.

I am currently running a H2 buffer with a standard carbine spring and haven't had an issue with the S&B subs (500-ish rounds). So I would think that you would be fine to start with what you have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    I think that all of the reasons that you cited are the reasons that I got into the 300 blk last year. Now it is by far my favorite rifle to shoot because it is so quiet and runs like a clock. I run a 8.7" barrel suppressed exclusively.

I too plan to reload for it but decided against modifying 223/556 cases and just start with 300 blk cases. IMO, anyone that had issues with ejections were using converted cases and I just didn't want to go thru the effort of converting just to introduce a potential problem. Also, when you can get S&B 220GR Subs for $0.50 per round that made the decision a no brainer for me. Once I create a nice collection of 300 blk cases I am ready to reload but don't have any data to share yet. I am stocked up and ready to use Nosler 190gr bullets over Accurate 1680 powder. I got the Noslers on the cheap at Shooters Pro Shop. Also got some 175gr bullets to experiment with.

I am currently running a H2 buffer with a standard carbine spring and haven't had an issue with the S&B subs (500-ish rounds). So I would think that you would be fine to start with what you have.
    Very nice looking rifle!

If I do decide to fork out the cash I will jump in with both feet. I am glad to hear that you use an H2 buffer without issue. I have been wondering about that.

For me once I get the upper and a good red dot (T2 probably) I will probably have some coin into it. Then throw in some ammo cost for powder and primers and bullets...

I need Stickman to adopt me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you use an adjustable block? Is it really needed?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Do you use an adjustable block? Is it really needed?
    On both of my upper setups for this rifle I used a standard gas block. Before I got this Radian upper at the end of last month I ran a 10.3" Ballistic Advantage barrel and didn't have a problem with it either.

An adjustable gas block is a neat thing to have but I wanted to start with a standard and if I encountered issues, move to an adjustable gas block. I haven't found the need for one as of yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    On both of my upper setups for this rifle I used a standard gas block. Before I got this Radian upper at the end of last month I ran a 10.3" Ballistic Advantage barrel and didn't have a problem with it either.

An adjustable gas block is a neat thing to have but I wanted to start with a standard and if I encountered issues, move to an adjustable gas block. I haven't found the need for one as of yet.
    Good to know. Plus blocks are pretty cheap.

The more I think about it I think a 300BLK would be pretty damn fun. I have actually never shot one that I can recall. But I will be shooting mine 100% suppressed with 100% subs all the time if I end up going that route.

Rather I should say "If I go that route first".... I simply have to prioritize what I am doing. Like I said, I have several different guns that I want to get but this 300 BLK upper will overall be the cheapest to do since it is pretty much just an upper and an optic. The rest is just ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love my Advanced Armament 9" with the Recce 7. Never a malf sub or super. The uppers were selling for $1200 a few years ago. Here is a lightly used one on GB starting bid at $485.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/683635111

The knucklehead probably won't get a lot of bids without a photo at the top of the listing. But about ten when you scroll down and he has good feedback. No reserve too!

Here is mine:

No idea why the double pic.
    Last edited by Uffdaphil; 22 August 2017 at 06:44.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    .45 ACP Speer Gold Dot HPs are in the 890fps/404 ft-lb energy from the muzzle.

300BLK Noveske 220gr Ballistic Tips are 990fps/ 487 ft-lb energy from the muzzle.

If you use a bullet like the 194gr Lehigh Maximum Expansion 300BLK ammo, meant to expand at subsonic velocities, you'll be pushing 1000fps with probably 450+ft-lbs of energy.

Factor in a 30rd magazine and, in my opinion, better suppression, with the 300BLK and you've got a pretty good home defense set up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Subscribing.

You've brought up one topic that I have overlooked in the last few days and that is .300 BLK against people. As you said, I don't want to be shot with it either but what is it's effectiveness.
    Naively I assumed since it's so good against a hog, it must be pretty good against the bad guys too. Not always the case.

While I do look at my current build and many guns as "fun guns", I also look at them as SD tools. Each may have a different purpose but they should (in my opinion) all be able to serve that purpose in a defensive role.

Is it likely I'll every shoot someone with my SPR, no (and I hope not)! Same with my new .308 (which I need to get the gas right still, so it's a range toy until then). But I should be able to count on them to perform.
    I'll want the same from my PDW build.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    I love my Advanced Armament 9" with the Recce 7. Never a malf sub or super. The uppers were selling for $1200 a few years ago. Here is a lightly used one on GB starting bid at $485.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/683635111

The knucklehead probably won't get a lot of bids without a photo at the top of the listing. But about ten when you scroll down and he has good feedback. No reserve too!

Here is mine:

No idea why the double pic.
    Those AAC uppers are great, and they are stupid cheap now on the secondary market. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on one if you want to go that route.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Subscribing.

You've brought up one topic that I have overlooked in the last few days and that is .300 BLK against people. As you said, I don't want to be shot with it either but what is it's effectiveness.
    Naively I assumed since it's so good against a hog, it must be pretty good against the bad guys too. Not always the case.

While I do look at my current build and many guns as "fun guns", I also look at them as SD tools. Each may have a different purpose but they should (in my opinion) all be able to serve that purpose in a defensive role.

Is it likely I'll every shoot someone with my SPR, no (and I hope not)! Same with my new .308 (which I need to get the gas right still, so it's a range toy until then). But I should be able to count on them to perform.
    I'll want the same from my PDW build.
    Ballistically, 300BLK is VERY similar to 7.62x39. I don't think you'll have any problem using it as an HD round, just pick the RIGHT one. Like 55gr FMJ isn't the best option when you could get .223 Gold Dots or something. Just an example.

Uffdaphil, that rifle looks great!

Downloads
    Uploads
    For example of subsonic HD round, YouTube the Lehigh Defense 194gr 300 blackout.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    For example of subsonic HD round, YouTube the Lehigh Defense 194gr 300 blackout.
    This is why I switched out my MK18 for a 300BO HD gun. It didn't hurt that, besides buying the ammo, it cost me less than $200 to have a complete 300BO SBR, since I had the majority of the parts.

The Lehigh 194s show fantastic ballistic performance in videos, but it also won't go through much more than a wall if I miss. Plus it won't blow out my hearing inside. Realistically, I doubt I'd ever have to use it, but if I did, it should be quite the effective weapon if I'm not grabbing my pistol.

That said, I just can't find much use for 300BO on the range. I don't reload, so the ammo is too expensive compared to 5.56. If I'm trying to shoot super-quiet, I'll just shoot my MP5 for much less money. But that's just me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Mentioned that also. Great looking round