Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pistol is the way to go. I have a 16" carbine gas and it was a total PITA to get it to run reliably. Part of that is the bbl manufacturer I'm sure, and I bought it when the round was pretty new and bugs were probably still being worked out, but unless you plan on only shooting supers, stick to pistol length. I have a 10.5" Noveske barrel with pistol length gas and haven't had any issues with it, other than getting the damn gas block pin in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I run a 9", and an adjustable gas block isn't necessary for subs or supers. The 300 is a perfectly capable SD or meat round, however, using subs for anything or than plinking and fun isn't really smart. I've even thrown in a titanium BCG and still have yet to experience any issues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It will be interesting to see how the new Hornady 190gr stuff works. They're claiming a subsonic load that passes FBI protocols. Price is supposed to be about $22-$23 a box.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...-x-subsonic#!/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the new Hornady 190gr stuff works. They're claiming a subsonic load that passes FBI protocols. Price is supposed to be about $22-$23 a box.

Yes, I'll be watching this. A sub with terminal performance is much needed for this caliber.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’d keep an eye on this company too. https://discreetballistics.com/product-category/300blk/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Yes, I'll be watching this. A sub with terminal performance is much needed for this caliber.
    Yes. Very much so. It would be even more awesome if they sold expanding bullets as reloading components.

Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post

I will be looking at that too. Passively of course (for now).

I looked before at expanding subs and the price was way too much among other things.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reviving an old thread... I finally took the plunge and built a .300BLK upper to match my existing SBR. I saw most of the components on sale, some for really cheap so I said why not. Plus I have a Recce 7 that hadn't been shot before a few days ago.

Parts I used:

Ballistic Advantage 9" barrel (about hundred bucks delivered)
    CMT UPUR 3 (about $115 delivered)
    SLR 8.3" handguard and an adjustable block. (I got something like 20% off everything)

I have a SNACH charging handle and a few extra BCG but for now I am just swapping everything off my 10.5" 5.56. The optic on top is a T2.

Basically I let curiosity get the better of me but so far I kind of like it.

---

I went shopping for various grain weight and types of ammo. I found some BECK Ammo on the shelves, I never heard of them before but they had the Leighigh Defense Max Expansion on the shelves but the price was mismarked. I bought two boxes of it for $17 each out the door. I haven't shot any of that yet but I know it normally goes for $40 about, per box.

I bought some of their other ammo too and so far I can say it's pretty good stuff. I got some 220's and some 110 TSX as well as some other brands of mid weight supers.

---

I got the gas block dialed in. I will only be shooting suppressed for this gun. On gas block setting 6 (out of 15) my gun will cycle supers and subs and will lock the bolt back.

---

So far though it seems like the 300 BLK supers within 100 yards are knocking the crap out of the plate. It would certainly F something up in that 100 ish yards (and in) range.

The supers are LOUD even with a suppressor. Just as an experiment I stupidly tried to test how loud a single round would be. Needless to say I won't do that again. It really wasn't the gun or the suppressor, it was the sonic crack happening 2 feet from your face that was really unpleasant.

The subsonics were easily hearing safe. I think the ammo I have is loaded a bit stout but it's still ok. I am going to try various stuff and compare before I start reloading. I am not sure how light of bullets I can load subsonic and it still run the firearm.

What I want to do though is compare 5.56 out of a 10.5 SBR and 300 BLK out of a 9" and see how much energy I get within 150 yards. Basically do a side by side SBR comparison.

So far with my very limited amount of shooting though I kind of like it. Who knows, my impressions may change after I get 1000 rounds down range. Comparing the 300 BLK to a 7.62x39 would also be interesting information to learn about.

Overall though so far I like it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    The supers are LOUD even with a suppressor. Just as an experiment I stupidly tried to test how loud a single round would be. Needless to say I won't do that again. It really wasn't the gun or the suppressor, it was the sonic crack happening 2 feet from your face that was really unpleasant.
    I love you man, but some times you are a dumb fuck. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    In this case I'm not going to argue :)

In my defense though people put up "at the ear" numbers that are safe on a bolt gun and I had the gas all the way off.

Considering all that I figured "why not try" but screw that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

Guy writes a damn thesis on dB levels vs hearing loss, blows his eardrums out with a SBR.

HAHAHAHAHA

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Guy writes a damn thesis on dB levels vs hearing loss, blows his eardrums out with a SBR.

HAHAHAHAHA
    It wasn't THAT bad. On my right ear it was fine. On my left ear though it was definitely uncomfortable. Like I said, it wasn't the gun. It was the proximity to the sonic crack out of such a short barrel.

None the less that was my 'hey bubba watch this' moment for the year.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, related, but OT, what's a relatively quiet (-ish?) Off-the-shelf round for .223/5.56? I know the key to taming the noise level on my blackout is grams; no such solution for the smaller pill, so is there a "less noisy" alternative that us non-reloaders can take advantage of?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    So, related, but OT, what's a relatively quiet (-ish?) Off-the-shelf round for .223/5.56? I know the key to taming the noise level on my blackout is grams; no such solution for the smaller pill, so is there a "less noisy" alternative that us non-reloaders can take advantage of?
    I am not quite following the question. Grams? I don't know of people who use grams for ammo. You mean heavier grain weight bullets?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Auto correct fuck up. GRAINS.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Auto correct fuck up. GRAINS.
    For off the shelf ammo I have no idea but I might be able to shop around. I did my own testing a long time ago and developed a 55gr load that gets the same velocity out of my 10.5 as factory ammo but I can get off one or two rounds without it ringing my ears at all. I personally think it's quieter for a pud plinking load. Even with that though if I was going to shoot a mag of it I would definitely wear ear pro.

Without going extremely nerd on you it would be a mile long post. The type of powder matters probably the most, the bullet design matters too.

I would think your best bet for off the shelf is the Hornady 75 grain SBR ammo.

https://www.gtdist.com/hornady-5-56n...-sbr-75gr.html