Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

300 BLK Discussion

I would like you guys to discuss a little bit about 300 BLK. I actually don't have a specific question--but I do have some thoughts that I will write below. I just want to hear various or even contradicting opinions about the caliber (particularly considering my use).

Here is basically where I am going with this... as usual I am trying to figure out my next steps. I have a Reece 7 on the way but I have no host gun for it (yet).

After a little bit of thought I kind of figured 300 BLK might be a low hanging fruit here.

===

1. I absolutely LOVE shooting suppressed. If I do decide to go into this caliber I won't even bother with loading supersonic rounds. I will just reload a 5 gallon bucket full of subs to get started.

2. I don't think 300 BLK is a really practical round for SD or anything like that. That being said I would not want to get shot with it. I am guessing a 220grain heavy sub would be right about on par with .45 ACP ball ammo but I could be totally wrong there.

3. I have always wanted a PISTOL caliber carbine but so far I haven't seen anything that floats my boat yet. If I could get a 9mm and/or .45 SBR I would be all over that. The downside is I would have to SBR more guns which for something I am not 100% sure about isn't a thing yet. I don't mind SBRing more guns but I want it to be something I will be in love with 20 years from now.

4. I already have an SBR lower, mags, and really everything I would need (except the upper). Really this is part of the thing... it's sort of a low hanging fruit.

===

It's very unlikely that I will shoot at anything living with that round with the of possible exception of a pig. Everything else about it, just like almost all my other guns are strictly fun guns. Range toys, or whatever you want to call it.

I already have a bunch of 5.56 brass but if I get into this I will probably get more and just convert a few thousand rounds or more just to have around. As a habit I normally keep prepped and primed brass in storage and just dip out some as I need it.

I have a heavy buffer (H2) and an extra power spring in my lower now. Will this present a problem? I don't think so but I might as well ask. On that note is an adjustable block needed for this round? Does it have the same sometimes picky-ness of a 5.56 SBR?

What length of barrel is best and why? I am honestly leaning around 9" or so but I have no real basis on why. The only real basis I have is that my current 10.5 handles GREAT. I love the balance of it as well as the suppressor/handguard fit. If the OAL is about the same I don't think the handling will be drastically different. Like I said though, I could be persuaded one way or other. I have minimal experience with various SBR lengths.

===

Anyway I think I could get into that caliber hardware wise for pretty cheap considering I have all the other stuff already.

(The only stuff I would really need is an upper, optic, bullets, powder, and some dies for the most part)

Other things I am interested in is how the brass is converted and what kinds of powder are the way to go for subs. (Also if you know the approximate cost to reload per round that will help too)

Anything else you want to throw in there is fine. I just envision being able to shoot a lot more often without waking up the dead or pissing off the neighborhood. Basically 300 BLK in my mind will be sort of a half pistol half rifle caliber but it might just be the low hanging fruit to scratch my pistol caliber carbine itch (at least for now).

Ideally I would get a 9mm or .45 SBR but who knows. If the money fairy visits me or UW sends me a golden goose hatchling I will just get em all. For now though I am thinking through the various host options for my Reece 7. So far I have 4 or 5 contenders but where to start first is more my line of thinking.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 22 August 2017 at 03:46.