Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 DMR Build

Downloads
    Uploads

308 DMR Build

I am putting together a 308 DMR. Not called that because I ever was, or ever could be, called a Designated Marksman, but because of the desired results I hope to achieve in the quality, and accuracy of the build.

Parts are starting to trickle in, and I will update this thread with photos of parts, and of the assembly as it progresses.

The parts that have been ordered:

Ascend Armory Match Billet Receiver Set – 7075
    Rainier Arms AR10 Switch Keymod Rail .308 – 17”
    Rainier Arms Ultramatch Mod2 .308 Barrel .800 Gas Block TiN Extension Fluted – 18”
    Rainier Arms Adjustable Bas Block Solid Bleed Off .800 Black
    I asked Rainier to pin the gas block for me – I do not have a jig for that.
    SI UDC Ultimate Dust Cover for .308
    Rainier Arms .308 NiB BCG DPMS SR-25 Pattern
    Geissele Super Charging Handle
    CMC AR-15/AR10 Lantac E-CT1 Single Stage Upgrade Trigger – Curved
    Ascend Armory Titanium 50 Degree Short Throw Ambi-Safety
    LUTH-AR .308 Rifle Length Buffer Tube Kit (includes Rifle Length Spring and Rifle Buffer)
    MagPul PRS Gen3 Stock
    BCM Gunfighter Grip Mod-1
    AAC Blackout 51T Flash Hider / Suppressor Mount (for use with the 762-SD)
    BoBro Precision Optic Mount – 30mm 20MOA

For initial accuracy testing I will pull the Leupold 8.5x25 x 50 AO Target scope off the .243 Prairie Dog rifle (Remington 40XB KS). This scope was sent to Premier Reticle in 1999 for conversion to a 25 to 50 variable. They did an awesome job, but I’m not sure I am a fan of that much magnification. In both trips to Montana, the mirage was VERY noticeable and the high end of the scope was rarely used. However, I will be shooting off a very stable bench at 100 yards, and I think the scope will help my poor old eyes wring out the last drop of accuracy that I can squeeze from the build. This may, or may not, be the final optic solution for this build. I hope to go back to Montana at least once more.

I selected the CMC Curved Trigger because currently I do not have a flat trigger. I may get one in the future and drop it into one of the guns with a “mil-spec” just to see if I like it. But I wanted to build this DMR with a fire-control setup I am very comfortable with, and that means a curved trigger.

I selected the Ascend Armory Receiver Set because of certain unique features and controls. It is an ambidextrous lower receiver, and they have stated they will upgrade the lower (for free) with their ambi-mag release when it is available. The matched set also looks good.

The barrel was selected because I have other Rainier Ultramatch barrels and I am extremely pleased with their accuracy off the bench. If a rifle is accurate off the bench, it will be accurate in the field – in the hands of a rifleman (apologies to the many ladies that are excellent shooters). The barrel has a “.308 Rainier Match Chamber”. Quote from the Rainier web site:
    The Rainier Match Chamber is a modified .308 WIN-7.62 NATO chamber to produce ultimate reliability and accuracy shooting both the 7.62 NATO & .308 WIN rounds.
    It is (extremely) unlikely that I will ever hump a DMR in the boonies with a spotter and kit, but as Townsend Whelen once said, “Only accurate rifles are interesting.”

I thought about putting another BattleComp 51.30 on this build, but I have a never used AAC 308 mount in the parts box. SilencerCo shipped it with the 762-SD and I did not know it was a package deal, so I bought a mount when I bought the can. My loss then, my gain now.

Last edited by Jerry R; 25 August 2017 at 14:59. Reason: Late Mail Run
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jerry,

This is going to be interesting. Any guesstimate on when it will be completed? Have an ulterior motive for wanting to see the end results, especially the accuracy aspect.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Any guesstimate on when it will be completed?
    FT, all the parts have shipped and should be in next week. I hope to complete the assembly that weekend. I am going to GriffonSec's the last week of September/first week of October. Benching will be done then with chrono, GMM, and ball.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks to be an excellent build Jerry. Looking forward to see the completed weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very interesting!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I understand the "mature vision" thing, but damn, that's going to be a lot of scope

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Subscribed.
    Sic Semper Evello Mortem Tyrannis

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a great build.

I like the BCM Gunfighter grips for carbines, but don't care for them much for bench rest shooting. I prefer the Ergos for that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of the remaining parts are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, and another round of photos will begin.

But before that, I wanted to say Thank You to the team at Rainier Arms, and specially to UWone77. The insight, advice, and assistance (that is not seen in this thread) has made this build possible. I have cobbled together a lot of AR-15's, but this is my first non-factory AR10. Subtle nuances such as differences between receiver types, what fits with which type, and on and on ... generates the need for lots of research, or VERY knowledgeable friends that are willing to take the time to help.

So ...

Thank You !!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can you publish the knowledge you've amassed? It would sure help those of us that are hung up on the whole Armalite vs. DPMS pattern thing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wished that I had amassed some knowledge. There are so many variables in that arena. Basically what I did was look at a given set of parts and tried to determine if they would work together. Luckily they do. With all the manufacturers out there, it comes down to a piece-by-piece check. Unless a part (forend / barrel / receiver / etc.) specifically states which pattern they are, you have to either ping the manufacturer, or find someone using the same parts. I am not sure if a set of blueprints with specs and tolerances for each receiver type would help. You would still have to research the adjuncts.

That was the reason for the Thank You to UWone77 and the folks at Rainier. They (VERY) patiently listened to my concerns and responded quickly to my questions. So, the sum and substance of my knowledge was phone calls and emails. The parts shown in post #1 work together - that's what I found out.

But, having said that; I wish someone like UW or some of the 'smiths at Rainier - or the very good manufacturers that are members here - would start an AR10 "Spec" thread.

I think that would be a great 'sticky' for this forum.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Look forward to seeing the finished product.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Ascend Armory 50 Degree Safety/Selector came in ...

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Can you publish the knowledge you've amassed? It would sure help those of us that are hung up on the whole Armalite vs. DPMS pattern thing.
    Technically it's "...the whole Armalite vs. DPMS vs. KAC pattern thing." I think a lot of times the KAC pattern is what causes a lot of the confusion, since it's sort of a hybrid of the other two patterns.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Technically it's "...the whole Armalite vs. DPMS vs. KAC pattern thing." I think a lot of times the KAC pattern is what causes a lot of the confusion, since it's sort of a hybrid of the other two patterns.
    I would rather have Aero or CMT's interpretation of the DPMS vs. Armalite thing. If I had KAC style cash to spend, it would be a line-built SR25, no question.

BTW: Did anybody cash in on yesterday's Aero email deal of a complete AR 10 receiver set in FDE for $299?