Thread: 308 DMR Build

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking good!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    Awesome build. Do you guys recommend the rifle length gas system or mid length for the 18" barrel?
    My 18" JP barrel is rifle length gas. It's great. Whatever barrel / gas system you chose, get an adjustable gas block so you can dial it in (I personally recommend SLR)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    Awesome build. Do you guys recommend the rifle length gas system or mid length for the 18" barrel?
    I prefer rifle gas for a couple of reasons. The first being the benefits the longer tube gives in reducing dwell time, slowing the BCG down a little and the positive effect that has on recoil. So for my precision guns - the DMR and my SPR (5.56) I chose rifle length gas systems. I also run an A5 Buffer system on the SPR, and on the DMR I have a UBR 2.0 stock which is for all intents an A5 length buffer tube, although with the longer 308 BCG you have to run either a carbine buffer or a 308 carbine buffer, (not the A5 Buffer) which is shorter than the standard mil spec AR-15 carbine buffer, and in the UBR requires a spacer. I’m using a KAK Heavy Buffer with a Sprinco Red spring. I mention all these other parts because they are all variables that can have an effect on how your weapon cycles and affects felt recoil. Likely I could reduce recoil a little more using rifle length stock or a PRS, but weight and adjustability were two options important to me.
    I too believe my DMR is a really nice shooter. I was so surprised and impressed by it that I immediately made plans to build a .308 SBR. I’ve cooled my jets on that project thankfully.

It’s hard to quantify “soft shooting” and “reduced recoil”, unless you shoot the guns, so I’m not going to say my DMR is smoother than anyone’s. I couldn’t know that until I shot both. But the “science” behind the direct impingement gas system says that the longer the gas system, the slower the BCG travels, the reduced gas port pressure, which are part of what you feel in your shoulder. Another reason I went with a gas system is because while we don’t have a mil standard on the 308, I felt the rifle gas was more the norm, more empirical data on what worked and what didn’t work, and since I may run a suppressor, I wanted to “normalize” where I could, and that was one area.

My comment on standardization isn’t to imply there are issues running mid gas systems on 308. I really didn’t do much research as I wanted gas from the get go.
    It’s just more commonplace and I saw that as an advantage on achieving a first shot functional weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

308 DMR Build

I meant to add that I also have an adjustable gas block and if you’re planning on suppressing, you should probably get one. I use the SLR Sentry 7 on all my builds, for use with a .750 has journal, and SLR has treated me fantastic customer service wise. I say all my builds, I mean all my builds that will run a can. Even contacting me at almost 2100 to make sure I knew he was squaring me away the next day. I run my GB fully open on my .308. I don’t think I would use an adjustable however if I was running unsuppressed. It is one less moving part and also in my book another reason for rifle gas. But I know adjustable GB’s are popular these days.

Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 4 October 2017 at 22:19. Reason: Corrects grammar and fixed a bad sentence or two.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anybody have a .308 kreaction rod, or some such that I could borrow? I will completely cover any cost to get it to me and return it immediately. I'm just not relishing that one time $180 for one of my own. Really would appreciate it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Anybody have a .308 kreaction rod, or some such that I could borrow? I will completely cover any cost to get it to me and return it immediately. I'm just not relishing that one time $180 for one of my own. Really would appreciate it!
    I have a Geissele Reaction Rod marked "For the AR-10/SR25" If that is what you need, PM me your shipping details.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    So Jerry, how's the PRS Gen 3 treating you? I was thinking about doing a PRS Gen3, but didn't want to fork out the cash, so I used an old Gen 1 UBR for my recent 6.5. I'll probably upgrade after a few range trips.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    I have a Geissele Reaction Rod marked "For the AR-10/SR25" If that is what you need, PM me your shipping details.
    Jerry, you are a life saver!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Have you thought about something like
    This? I have a set for both AR-15 and AR-10. and have lost count on how many barrel swaps & installs I’ve done with this.
    I have a Magpul BEV block and honestly it feels more secure than when I use the BEV. My upper receiver blocks came with “anti-torque” plates, that are thick acrylic and slide over each end of the piece holding in the lugs of the receiver and on the picatinny rail. Doing at has removed any kind of twisting or torquing as you are cranking down on it. I mounted an URX4 rail once and the only way I could true it up was to crank it out to its max of 75 ft. lb’s and never once did I feel any twisting which obviously is a bad thing. I know it’s. It. Reaction rid, but I thought I’d mention it to you as an alternative. If you contact the guy he’ll give you a military discount. Or probably hurt I’ve you a discount if you ask for it. I’ve talked to him a couple of times. He comes from aerospace and still does some work in that space, but at his core, he’s use just a ordinary gun guy.

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/pr...r10-sr25-lr308

Hope this help.
    RTX

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Robert. I will consider that for the future, but Jerry has already sent me his reaction rod. The tracking just popped up as I was typing this. Tremendous help, from a tremendous group. Thanks fellas!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just waiting to pick up my builder set. Got a few bits to hit with some paint, so two days will be good to get set up for assembly.

Got a hell of a deal on the brownell nitride BCG and the raptor as well as the set.

Last edited by Joelski; 14 September 2018 at 15:42.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice lookin' RA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    So Jerry, how's the PRS Gen 3 treating you? I was thinking about doing a PRS Gen3, but didn't want to fork out the cash, so I used an old Gen 1 UBR for my recent 6.5. I'll probably upgrade after a few range trips.
    UW, I'm a benchrest shooter, and I really like the PRS Gen-3. I did not have any experience with previous generations though. I made minimal adjustments to the parts that can be adjusted, and it "feels" good off the bags and the bipod. It is a keeper - for me. Wish I could tell you how it is better than previous versions, but ............
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    I thought about putting another BattleComp 51.30 on this build, but I have a never used AAC 308 mount in the parts box. SilencerCo shipped it with the 762-SD and I did not know it was a package deal, so I bought a mount when I bought the can. My loss then, my gain now.
    So you built an entire DMR out of a suppressor mount....

MASTER!!! :NotWorthy: