So this happened almost 2 months ago. I've been reloading for 5 years now, and up until this point, never double charged a pistol round. I don't know what happened this go around, but I unluckily double charged 2 rounds out of 200 loaded. I found out about the first round at the range. It was louder than normal, and my face and hand got a little peppered. Thankfully, I was wearing eye protection, and nothing was permanent. The slide locked up, and I immediately dropped the mag, or at least I think I did.

At first, the range manager thought that it was slam fire, and suggested I send it back to Springfield Armory. So I started the return process. As many know, most manufacturers don't warranty reloads. So where they asked about the ammo and lot #, I entered my .45 ACP load recipe from the load book I've been using (9.1 grains of Reloader 5 behind a Nosler 185 CC HP bullet). My gunsmith friend thought it was a double charge and I showed him a pic of the brass:

Total double charge. Upon further investigation, this was completely plausible as my case fill was 50% according to the book. I weigh out the remaining rounds, and find one more that was 9.1 grains heaver than normal. Double check the rest again, and all were within the proper weight. Now I just have to wait to find out the prognosis from Springfield Armory.

They called me 2 weeks later. It was an overpressure round that caused the failure, and the frame would need to be replaced. Cost to me $60. I told them that I agree that it was an over pressure round, and that upon further research, it was my fault for the double charge. With that being said, what is the charge for the work now? $60. So with my conscious cleared, It looks like I'm getting a new frame, and everything else looks to be in good condition. Unfortunately, the RMA shop is out of frames, and they would have to send me a whole new pistol. It was delivered yesterday.

So a big thanks to Springfield for their service. It saved me from having to buy a new pistol. I also bought a $50 insurance policy for my next batch of reloads, the RCBS Lockout Die.