Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone interested in long distance .22LR ?

Boyd's stocks were mentioned in another thread which got me to thinking about my Savage FV-SR.

For this rifle I wanted a rimfire that was at home on our 60yd plinking range as well as our 300yd high power range.

The scope is a fixed 16x magnification SWFA. It seemed like an ideal optic for what I wanted to do. It had over 100moa of elevation adjustment and the reviews indicated the internal adjustment mechanisms were proving to hold up to abuse. That was important because going from 60 to 300yds requires a significant amount of turret cranking. And speaking of turrets, the large markings are easy on older eyes. The price was right at $300 so I clicked the buy button.

Even with over 100moa of elevation adjustment I knew that alone wasn't going to carry it to 300yds. Canted scope bases for the FV-SR were pretty slim pickings so I got the idea to call EGW Gun Parts who specialize in this sort of thing. Super nice guys. They said they'd be glad to help and would recut my base to whatever I wanted. A couple weeks later I had a 40moa base for a mere $25 labor charge. How great is that! I purchased a pair of TPS super low rings... done with the sighting system.

The plastic stock that comes with the FV-SR works ok, but I wanted something heavier for bench shooting with a higher cheek rest. Really not a lot to chose from. Selected a Boyd's "Tacticool" stock. I think they have since changed the flaky name to something a bit more respectable haha. Anyway, the barrel channel is more than adequate for the heavy-profile FV-SR barrel. No touching. The bottom metal was really weak so I purchased a D.I.P. bottom metal and trigger guard kit. Bottom metal is much thicker and allows for more precise torque on the action screws. Still, the cheek height wasn't high enough so I picked up a Midway cheek riser. Ah... just right.

The FV-SR barrel comes threaded properly for rimfire- 1/28 X .4in, so that required nothing other than to spin on a YHM Wraith can.

Done.

I'm here to tell ya that long distance suppressed rimfire shooting is a ton of fun. Nice calm morning at the club when no one else is around... no ear protection strapped to yer head, no recoil... just birds singing in the tress. Click... waiting.... waiting.... waiting... 'ding' on the steel plate. As relaxing and enjoyable as shooting gets.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 21 May 2018 at 05:52.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never taken my 10/22 or any other .22LR rifle over 100 yards. Is Long Distance .22LR shooting a thing? Genuinely asking.. cause it sounds like a blast.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It can be pretty fun, at least for a little bit. Obviously size of the target affects things. When I lived in San Diego, I tried taking my Winchester 62 out to 200 on a big-ass gong, but couldn't do it reliably with regular Walmart/Federal fare. However, my Nordic Components .22 AR upper was able to reliably hit steel at 200 with a cheap PA red dot once I figured out the hold. The problem was making sure other people weren't shooting so I could hear the "ding," but the old-timers at the range were just busy talking anyway, so all was good.

(Cheap optic not depicted here)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Never taken my 10/22 or any other .22LR rifle over 100 yards. Is Long Distance .22LR shooting a thing? Genuinely asking.. cause it sounds like a blast.

It's not something organized like NRA Smallbore or anything like that, but there is a guy on ARFcom (I think he's in Kentucky or Ohio) that has some property and organizes informal meets. Never been.

Yes, it's a lot of fun. I'd like to stretch mine out further than 300yds. With standard velocity ammo it will reach out to 400yds using reticle holdover, and a bit further with high velocity ammo.

At 300yds these little CCI SV cartriges perform pretty well on a calm day.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 15 September 2017 at 02:51.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks like a nice little plinker.

I used to shoot my .22 a LOT. I haven't even had it out in I don't know how long. Maybe it's time to bust it back out and soup it up.
    I'm like Uwone, 100 is the furthest I've had mine it's that not all that easy (for me).

Now you have me wanting to do appleseed again.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice calm blue-sky morning... no one at the club but a couple birds singing in the trees... hot cup of coffee on the bench... click.... pffff ..... ..... ..... .... ding. That's what my FV-SR is all about... relaxing. Love it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Nice calm blue-sky morning... no one at the club but a couple birds singing in the trees... hot cup of coffee on the bench... click.... pffff ..... ..... ..... .... ding. That's what my FV-SR is all about... relaxing. Love it.
    That does sound like a great day. Making my retirement plans.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    That does sound like a great day. Making my retirement plans.
    Except it's not at a club, it's your backyard.

I quit shooting .22lr for awhile when prices of ammo just got stupid. I had a good stash of 22 and didn't want to burn it up until I could get a resupply. Now that it's back, I need to shoot my 10/22 more. I also have a Gemtech MIST I'm waiting approval on, so I'll have to build a 10/22 around that. Thinking Magpul Chassis, Timney Trigger, ect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thinking Magpul Chassis, Timney Trigger, ect.
    I have a Kidd trigger sitting in a box waiting for me to finish the build on. I tested a ton of 10/22 triggers and man, I am telling you what... that thing is awesome. I pulled that one a couple times and said 'well that's it. my search is over.'

Give em a look.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I have a Kidd trigger sitting in a box waiting for me to finish the build on. I tested a ton of 10/22 triggers and man, I am telling you what... that thing is awesome. I pulled that one a couple times and said 'well that's it. my search is over.'

Give em a look.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. First time putting together a 10/22 so I've been looking on and off for various parts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. First time putting together a 10/22 so I've been looking on and off for various parts.
    I researched the crap out of stuff for 10/22 and Kidd is the way to go. Bolts and barrels and all that I haven't tested yet (but I will soon enough hopefully)... but the triggers... you don't need bother with anything less....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Been thinking of doing the same with a 10/22.

I've got a Magpul Hunter on a Rem 700 .308.
    A trainer is always a good excuse to drop $1,500 on another rimfire to save money on ammo.
    Hell, with all the money I've saved I should be rich by now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your shooting spot looks like a nice place to practice with the driver, and long irons too. So jelly!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’d love to see if I could get solid hits past 100 with mine. I do enjoy hitting a 4” plate at 100. Prime 22lr is pretty legit stuff in my 10/22 with green mountain barrel and magpul stock. Vortex on top.