Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did some more tests with the .22 just now. I used the same ammo throughout the test, but this ammo groups ok at 50 yards but not the best (a little over an inch @50 yards). Other ammo (Federal Ultra Match) gave me .25 inches at 50 yards.

I didn't dial it in exactly, but in inches the approximate holdover for .22LR at 200 yards is around 40 to 50 inches plus or minus depending on the ammo and velocity. Pretty much that is about a 22 MOA elevation adjustment for a 200 yard shot using ammo that gets 1200 fps. Other ammo (say Federal Ultra Match) is subsonic and it shoots REALLY GOOD groups it would be around 26 MOA adjustment. None of this includes wind.

I was able to get about a dozen shots on target out of about 20 rounds. Some hits were dead on round and others were keyholes. With different ammo naturally you will get different results. I think with perfect conditions, some practice, and really good ammo it might be possible to get say 6 inch groups or better at that distance.

Whether or not that is at all practical is a whole different story. Next time I go out I will try to dial it up instead of just a holdover and see what I can get done.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Alamo and Phil, have you studied lead buildup in your cans to see if it's really a thing with .22 ammo? Would be curious to see how much of a thing that really is. You guys have me interested in an optimus micro and some kind of 10/22; perhaps a backpacker combo.
    Been using a YHM Wraith for close to 10 years. It's a sealed can with aluminum baffles. Yes, lead does build up. At about 25,000 rounds (used it on an M&P 15-22 for a long time) it was close to double the weight but still suppressing well. I sent it back to Yankee Hill for service. They cleaned it up and replaced the baffle free of charge. Since then, I dedicated it to my FV-SR (bolt action) so I doubt I'll send it in for service again. While I would not recommend a non-serviceable can, at the same time I can say that I've thoroughly enjoyed not having to clean the Wraith, ever. Nice.

My Silencerco Sparrow is serviceable. It's used for suppressing pistols and autoloading rifles. I clean it every 500-1000rds. The steel monocore baffle remains remarkable clean. Just a little buildup on the first inch of the baffle which is getting the worst of the muzzle blast, but the rest remains clean. The steel clamshells get pretty crusty but are quite easy to clean.

90% of the time I'm using CCI Standard Velocity.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    Have you considered bedding the action? Curious to know if it would make any significant impact on accuracy
    I haven't. A few guys on RFC have bedded the action on Savage rifles and have posted well illustrated How-To tutorials. That said, the pictures of their groups are on par with my rifle when I use Wolf Match Target. So... whatever. If I was using the FV-SR more for precision paper punching I might bed the action, but I like to bounce shotgun hulls around at our Plinking range (out to 100yds) and ding steel plate at our 300yd range which my FV-SR with a Boyd's stock is adequate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I just did some simple tests out in the yard. With .22LR at 100 yards I was able to score regular hits on target. In fact I was able to get pretty good results, although with various ammo my POI would change.

On the 200 yard target I was also able to score hits on target. It was much more complicated. Some of the bullets were destabilizing at that range. Keep in mind I was shooting a mix of some subsonic and also some supersonics and a variety of ammo just to test it out. I was just doing plain old kentucky windage and it was just trial and error. If I go out and get some real data and try to dial up a firing solution that might help. Just eyeballing it high and to the left was just kind of all over the place. I am going to have to break out my math and see if I can land them on target reliably.
    I use my chronograph and an online ballistics calculator for the specific ammo. It's eerie how spot-on the calculations are for bullet drop at any distance. If you know the avg muzzle velocity for the ammo in your rifle, sight above bore and your zero... there's no guessing other than dialing in wind. I use CCI Standard Velocity and haven't had any issues with bullet destabilizing out to 300yds, at least not the few times I've shot at paper. Stabilization issues with HV ammo going from supersonic to subsonic??

I love hearing the delayed ding on steel at 300yds.

Ballistics calculator (see Advanced Options) http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 7 April 2018 at 07:13.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Went with Volquartsen

Name:  IMG_6252.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  445.8 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Went with Volquartsen

Name:  IMG_6252.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  445.8 KB
    Nice. You might want to look at the cheek riser(s) too. After shooting mine for a while I am testing between the medium and high one to see which I like best.

Is that the Gemtech barrel on that btw?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty sure I have a FDE medium height riser if you want it. I wound up using the high riser on mine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're gonna have fun with that. Nice.

I got the Hunter with .5in and .75in risers. Both were too high for me. When Magpul later came out with the "no-rise" I got that one.

Somehow I ended up with two .5in risers, black & FDE, and one black .75in.
    I'll never use them. I'd be glad to send them to you if you'd like.

I like the black cheek piece on FDE.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want to try black cheek pieces I might have one or two you can try out. I think it comes with no rise, and has a low, medium, and high option. I will have to see which ones I have. The stupid thing is the sets only come in 2 packs. Instead of being able to buy all three, you just have to try your luck. If you want to measure first it could help out a little.

Downloads
    Uploads
    haha... Magpul's next product should be parts storage containers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  5S3A6855.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  382.2 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Name:  5S3A6855.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  382.2 KB
    Nice. How does she shoot?

Is that the one using your Gemtech barrel?