Downloads
    Uploads

AAR: William Petty/Centrifuge Training - Vehicle Ballistics Seminar (lots of photos)

Thanks to Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute (MDFI) for hosting Centrifuge Training (William Petty) last week for his VCQB. While he was here he was offering a one day seminar on vehicle ballistics. I wasn't able to jump into a full class this year so I was very happy to be able to get into the seminar.

I didn't really have much in the way of expectations since I've done no shooting around vehicles previously.

I was VERY surprised just how few rounds made it through the body of the vehicle from several different calibers/firearms. None made it through two pillars. Only a couple made it through the car body to hit the target (out of close to 75 rounds).

We shot 12ga slug and buckshot, various popular 9mm, some 5.56 m193 & M855 (including A1), and a few .357, .45 & .300 BLK subs.

It was enough info to realize I know nothing and really need to take a full class (which I've wanted to take for a while anyway).
    The biggest thing I was surprised to learn was just how good a car is at eating rounds (again, not including fired through glass).

.300 BLK from a 10.5 barrel shot into the B pillar. First round (150gr super) went into the pillar, no further. The 208gr VMAX didn't even make it all the way into the pillar.

300 BLK 10.5 by Damage Photos, on Flickr

300 BLK Sub by Damage Photos, on Flickr

300 BLK by Damage Photos, on Flickr

Will shooting B pillar with various 5.56. Over 40 rounds, none even made it to the second B pillar. The seat ate what made it through the first pillar.

5.56 by Damage Photos, on Flickr

40+ rounds 5.56 by Damage Photos, on Flickr

Will putting some 9mm through a single door. Only two rounds made it through. Only one connecting with the target.

9mm by Damage Photos, on Flickr

Will shooting various popular 9mm HPs through the windshield. Catching the rounds with water and level III armor to show effects on the round through glass and weight loss/retention.

Catching Rounds by Damage Photos, on Flickr

A student shooting various areas with a 12 ga. Using slugs and buckshot (Federal flight control). The slug went through the door and through the center console, impacting the opposite door, but not passing through. Neither made it through the A pillar.

12ga Buckshot by Damage Photos, on Flickr

12ga Slug by Damage Photos, on Flickr

12ga buckshot & various calibers by Damage Photos, on Flickr

Trek from MDFI putting some rounds through the windshield from the interior to show deflection. Almost all rounds were a foot high at around 5 yards from POA.

VCQB by Damage Photos, on Flickr

End of class, chopping up a car to see more effects, what was hit, what wasn't and to see if we can find some rounds.

Digging Deeper by Damage Photos, on Flickr

.45 caught in one of the pillars.

.45 by Damage Photos, on Flickr
    Last edited by Pyzik; 30 August 2017 at 16:32.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    THAT sounds like a very interesting class!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    THAT sounds like a very interesting class!!
    It was an awesome day. Wish I could have made the full class that week. This'll probably be my big class next year.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    It was an awesome day. Wish I could have made the full class that week. This'll probably be my big class next year.
    Not that I ever plan to get in a gunfight but just the sheer knowledge behind knowing when, where and what part of the car will take a round (or provide cover) would be extremely instructive. Also knowing things like how glass effects bullet flight and so forth... sounds really cool.