Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Precious Metals in B.O Kit

Really couldn't find a category to post this in, so I will try here.

How many folks recommend/do not recommend having at least some precious metals, particularly gold and silver, in their emergency bug out gear, and why, or why not?

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Silver is the hot commodity. Probably because people will think twice before they attempt to kill you and take it. With gold, forget it. It's on as soon as you pull it out. I'd recommend either looking just like a really pissed-off incredible hulk, or a very intimidating sidearm as a deterrent to any such ideation.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless you're talking about some Mad Max Fantasy, I see precious metals as a waste of time and resources. I'd rather spend that now on another bucket of dehydrated food, water, or other supplies.

Stock up on Liquor to trade.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought bars of silver 8 years ago at about $25 an ounce... it's like $17 now and just remains low. Bad investment just like a CD at a bank. Seeds, ammo and Liquor like Uwone77 said

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    I bought bars of silver 8 years ago at about $25 an ounce... it's like $17 now and just remains low. Bad investment just like a CD at a bank. Seeds, ammo and Liquor like Uwone77 said
    Silver, for the sake of investing is like anything else, Gold, also. It's boon or bust. In a must run situation, the value of silver will be determined between buyers and sellers, not market indexes. Cash could be totally worthless, who knows, but the value of Silver and Gold will never be "zero". So, if for some reason you lose, destroy or whatever some of the must haves such as food and liquor you'd probably be better, IMO with a little Silver to barter with than have to trade some of whatever supplies you've took with you, with precious metals.

I'm just spit balling here, but I'd say that if the U.S. fell into total anarchy, that $25 investment, that you can actually hold in your hand, will be the best money you ever spent. CD's, Savings accounts, and the Dow and Nasdaq won't be worth the paper they're printed on. As an investment, Gold, Silver will be all over the place, stuff like palladium, you'd want to stay away from, because I'd bet half the people you'd barter with won't have a clue what it is, pretty much the same for platinum.

I'm not in disagreement with what you said, but if you're buying and selling gold and silver to make a profit, not as a hedge over inflation or hyperinflation or what ever the hell total anarchy would bring on, you run the same risks as you do when you call your broker, or online investment to make a buy or sell. It's pretty much a buy and hold, unless again, your a market whiz....I bought silver at approx. $6.00 an ounce years ago, and have continued to buy it as it goes up and down. I then average the price over time. I'm still about even.

Back to question, I'm still unconvinced one way or another to carry some or not. Space and weight will also be a factor. However, I have some hid very well, that I can almost guarantee won't be found until after I'm dead and don't give a crap.

FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Unless you're talking about some Mad Max Fantasy, I see precious metals as a waste of time and resources. I'd rather spend that now on another bucket of dehydrated food, water, or other supplies.

Stock up on Liquor to trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Silver is the hot commodity. Probably because people will think twice before they attempt to kill you and take it. With gold, forget it. It's on as soon as you pull it out. I'd recommend either looking just like a really pissed-off incredible hulk, or a very intimidating sidearm as a deterrent to any such ideation.
    UW, not Mad Max, but I see the resurgence of an early 1900's resurgence of the communist movement, with an emphasis of all the hallmarks of a dictatorship, such as propaganda, ending personal freedoms, and actually wanting to purge freedom of expression/speech (Antifa -no it's not a new movement, it's a second go around); when I see dumbass college students actually wanting freedom of speech and expression limited or controlled closely so as not to affect how they "feel", when I see terrorist groups like BLM shooting cops for target practice, and "peace lovers" beating a 70 something year old man with a club for wearing a MAGA hat, a little @#$K sucking fat commie dictator threatening to nuke Japan, Guam, and the U.S., while playing with hydrogen bombs that set off landslides and earthquakes in S. Korea, well, I don't see "anarchy" as far fetched as I used to.

Joelski - I'll trade you and UW an aimpoint T2 for 6 cases of my favorite hooch, and a couple of ounces of silver.

FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    but I see the resurgence of an early 1900's resurgence of the communist movement,
    I think that's the problem with precious metals... You may see that, and a small group of others may see that, but for the rest of us, it does nothing for us. If I have a case of water, and you need it, and the only thing you can offer is metal, that's not helpful to me. It just seems like this is a self-licking ice-cream cone and people who value various rare metals are counting on some large population that also values the same, said valuable metals. I'm just not buying that that's reality.

FT, you know I bear you no ill-will, just calling it the way I see it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I think that's the problem with precious metals... You may see that, and a small group of others may see that, but for the rest of us, it does nothing for us. If I have a case of water, and you need it, and the only thing you can offer is metal, that's not helpful to me. It just seems like this is a self-licking ice-cream cone and people who value various rare metals are counting on some large population that also values the same, said valuable metals. I'm just not buying that that's reality.

FT, you know I bear you no ill-will, just calling it the way I see it.
    Well, maybe I should have been more specific about the quantity of gold/silver I had in my possession. Obviously, food and water will be most peoples immediate needs. Ammo, medicines, and everything else comes next. So, in my "anarchy" scenario, I'm not carrying a backpack full, just some just in case money. "Walking around money", would be a good description. Everything else would be stashed and tapped as needed, if needed.

I'm not sure there is a correct answer for everyone. But there is one thing that you have to factor in. It's inherent in many, many people. Greed! Some will see an end to the madness, and want to come out on top, with silver and gold, instead of looking for a place to plant corn. That's why I can't buy into the "if you can't eat it, it's worthless" scenario.

It's also easier to hide a little silver and gold, than your whole supply cache that evil people are going to be willing to fight you to the death for.

So eventually things will "normalize" into something close to civilization, manufacturing, etc will resume. People will get away from the bread-for-water scenario, and want to begin acquiring wealth again. Some forward thinkers will bet on this and accumulate it when it's feasible. Paper money will be trash, unless, like years ago, it's based on a standard, such as precious metals like the old "gold standard".

No ill-will taken, or I wouldn't have asked for other's opinions. Just to many scenario's to juggle. BTW? What's the gold content in your favorite Rolex? I'll swap you some mac 'n cheese for it....

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 7 September 2017 at 18:01.
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my get home bag, I keep four ounces of silver. It's small, light, and I figure it can't hurt.

I do have some silver and gold otherwise but not huge amounts. It gets heavy. I invest more in lead, friend

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're describing a societal collapse and looking for things that can be reasonably carried in a pack and of value for barter... Things like Bic lighters, hygiene and anti-bacterial products will be in demand. A piece of metal... not so much.

Now if you're wanting to maintain wealth on the backside of a society collapse, burry your treasure, don't carry it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gonna go back to my Uncle's advise on this one. If you can't eat it, fuck it, or shoot it, it's worthless.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think gold and silver only work once the anarchy has regained order and a currency emerges. Currency is just liquid trade item.

If I have ammo and you have corn, I may not want corn. I want carrots. You either go find a carrot guy who wants corn so you can trade for my ammo, or you give me gold so I can find a carrot guy who wants gold. Hard to carry a whole farm on your cart. Currency is easier.

How long anarchy becomes civilization again is hard to know. Ammo/liquor could be the currency for a long time. I may trade some 556 for your gold though so I can make some jewelry for the next anniversary. A pound of gold per 100rds. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm stocking insulin. There's a shitload of diabetics and some of them are bound to be rich! Epi pens are another solid bet. When it comes to staying alive, many don't give much thought to medications.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    How long anarchy becomes civilization again is hard to know. Ammo/liquor could be the currency for a long time. I may trade some 556 for your gold though so I can make some jewelry for the next anniversary. A pound of gold per 100rds. :)
    Lots of people will be dead from medical issues or bad luck before order is restored. Nursing homes? Granny's a write-off unless you want to hang with her in the afterlife. Shit gets harsh beyond 6 missed meals.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a huge fan of PM's but in a bug out bag $200 in smaller bills like tens will probably go further. Wont hurt to have a handful of ASE's if the person you are dealing with understands the value of them. When bartering with silver its spot plus 20% on your end. If you are going to do PM's in your BOB let it be silver. Trying to by some toilet paper or a loaf of toast with a gold coin will be hard since most wont have change for a $1350 coin...
    Last edited by Stone; 8 September 2017 at 14:15.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.