Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

SBR side project

Ok well I've decided to as a side project to start a SBR. I've been following Pyzik's SBR thread and have been on the fence about either building a 300blk or 5.56.

I've have been wanting a 300blk for a good while and but as stated before I don't currently have cans and don't reload. So I decided to just go the 5.56 route till I get can and start reloading then just build a 300blk upper.

So now I need to figure out which of my lowers gets the special treatment. And if a 10.5" BA barrel for $98 is a good deal or not.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk
    "And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off." -Big Jake

"All the Gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you." -Joseph Campbell

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why choose?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Why choose?
    Choose?

"And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off." -Big Jake

"All the Gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you." -Joseph Campbell

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    No cans, no reloads. 5.56 was the obvious choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's the chosen one

Name:  Tango8.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  262.7 KB

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should have some parts drop sometime this week.

Ill be installing a pistol tube till I get a chance to get the form 1 sent and approval back.

One thing that I am looking to do is to install a blast shield or flash can type muzzle device. I would like to have one where I can remove the shield from the flash hider/break so I can install a suppressor once I decide to get one. I hope to be putting in the paper work for one by the end of 2018. I've been looking at different suppressor companies and their blast shields. And seeing I have no experience with them I would like some input on which to get. I know its not a good idea to get parts that their design may change and have to find a discontinued suppressor.

The thinking behind this is that I know with most suppressors a muzzle device is included. So I plan on going with a .30 cal suppressor and swap it between my 5.56s and .308. If I go ahead and install a muzzle device and blast shield on this SBR then I can install the included MD onto my .308. If it works out then great. But if a design change makes the 5.56 MD non-compatible then I'll have cut my loses and get a new one. I do plan on getting a 5.56 suppressor but figured .30 cal would get me by till then.

Here's a few companies I am looking at:

Griffin Armament
    SilencerCO
    Surefire
    AAC
    DeadAir
    Gemtech

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
    I should have some parts drop sometime this week.

Ill be installing a pistol tube till I get a chance to get the form 1 sent and approval back.

One thing that I am looking to do is to install a blast shield or flash can type muzzle device. I would like to have one where I can remove the shield from the flash hider/break so I can install a suppressor once I decide to get one. I hope to be putting in the paper work for one by the end of 2018. I've been looking at different suppressor companies and their blast shields. And seeing I have no experience with them I would like some input on which to get. I know its not a good idea to get parts that their design may change and have to find a discontinued suppressor.

The thinking behind this is that I know with most suppressors a muzzle device is included. So I plan on going with a .30 cal suppressor and swap it between my 5.56s and .308. If I go ahead and install a muzzle device and blast shield on this SBR then I can install the included MD onto my .308. If it works out then great. But if a design change makes the 5.56 MD non-compatible then I'll have cut my loses and get a new one. I do plan on getting a 5.56 suppressor but figured .30 cal would get me by till then.

Here's a few companies I am looking at:

Griffin Armament
    SilencerCO
    Surefire
    AAC
    DeadAir
    Gemtech
    I can only talk about the Griffin Armament (the rest I know nothing)... I am more than pleased with their products by far. I have two more rifle cans in jail right now as I type. Their taper mounts are awesome and provide a lot of benefits. I also have their blast shield but I never use it. All are cross compatible.

It's unlikely that the taper mount will be going anywhere.

The mount is a big part of the reason I went Griffin. It has all the benefits of a thread on can without technically being a thread on. You can get the exact same suppressor orientation every time with that mount. You can shoot a shot. Take the can off the gun. Shoot another shot and your baffle alignment is spot on every time. For precision shooting it's fantastic. I've even heard of a test being run with Griffin cans where they had 5 cans, shot a single shot, removed the can and replaced it with another can... and did a round robin....and wound up with a sub MOA group using one rifle and 5 different cans on it. I definitely believe it. After seeing what mine can do that is not a stretch at all.

Also the GA one won't wear out. There are no buttons or teeth or anything like that to wear out. It is also compatible across multiple suppressors. If you say start with a 7.62 can and later buy a 5.56 can the outer dimensions of the taper mount is the exact same. Swapping between guns is no big deal and you can do it a million times and it will never wear out. It's also cross compatible with multiple other Griffin cans.

I have nothing but good things to say about Griffin suppressors. That blast shield though, what would be your point of using that? I bought one because I had a gift certificate and it ended up costing me like $5 but honestly the blast shield fad is just that. A fad. It might have some limited use in some situations but overall my opinion is the blast shield thing is not really worth it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Griffin Recce 7.

I have a Recce 5 and it's fantastic. Both are well built, offer great suppression and are on the lighter side of the .30 cal can scale.

I like the variety of mounts Griffin makes from brakes, flash hiders, comps, etc

Downloads
    Uploads
    Griffin actually has two lines that fit your bill. The SD line which is a quick detach. The other is the taper mount. Both have benefits I imagine. I only have the taper mount and have never tried the SD system. I don't have any interest in the SD (QD system). The taper mount is perfect for me. The above mentioned precision shooting aspect is way more valuable to me and my style of doing things.

As for the blast shield itself.... watch their video on it...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Griffin Recce 7.

I have a Recce 5 and it's fantastic. Both are well built, offer great suppression and are on the lighter side of the .30 cal can scale.

I like the variety of mounts Griffin makes from brakes, flash hiders, comps, etc
    Yes. LOTS of choices from comps to brakes to flash hiders... taper mount is where it's at. Lots of variety and options that all are still taper mount.

Between me and Former11B you will be talked into Griffin eventually

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Yes. LOTS of choices from comps to brakes to flash hiders... taper mount is where it's at. Lots of variety and options that all are still taper mount.

Between me and Former11B you will be talked into Griffin eventually
    Well I'm leaning towards them as of now. The taper mount brake and blast shield are about $180 together where others are about the same for just the BS. I don't know if saving me a few dollars now will cost me in the end. But I do like the idea of no moving parts when dealing with the taper mount.

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I'm leaning towards them as of now. The taper mount brake and blast shield are about $180 together where others are about the same for just the BS. I don't know if saving me a few dollars now will cost me in the end. But I do like the idea of no moving parts when dealing with the taper mount.
    I will sell you my blast shield if you want. I don't use it.

As far as the 'saving a few bucks' comment... it won't 'cost you in the end' at all... not in this case. You're not going to lose out anything in this case. Griffin came up with a simple yet very effective design. No do-dads, thing-a-mabobs, ratchets, or wigits to get lost or screwed up (or wear out). It's just simple and very effective (the taper mount). In fact it's MORE effective than many if not most other mounts on the market (given I am talking about specific uses).

The mount was probably 75% of the reason I chose Griffin to start with. Don't get me wrong... it has superior suppression to most other 5.56 cans out there (I am talking the Recce 5) but the mount is one of the major reasons it's great.

If you want to be able to QD your suppressor there are other options. If you want repeatability and precision as a premium over QD I challenge you to find anything that comes close.

It has all the benefits (and more) of a direct thread (for that use) without being direct thread. Griffin's QD on the other hand is not nearly as 'precision oriented' so you will have more POI shift ongoing because the can can be oriented different ways every time you put it on the gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I will sell you my blast shield if you want. I don't use it.

As far as the 'saving a few bucks' comment... it won't 'cost you in the end' at all... not in this case. You're not going to lose out anything in this case. Griffin came up with a simple yet very effective design. No do-dads, thing-a-mabobs, ratchets, or wigits to get lost or screwed up (or wear out). It's just simple and very effective (the taper mount). In fact it's MORE effective than many if not most other mounts on the market (given I am talking about specific uses).

The mount was probably 75% of the reason I chose Griffin to start with. Don't get me wrong... it has superior suppression to most other 5.56 cans out there (I am talking the Recce 5) but the mount is one of the major reasons it's great.

If you want to be able to QD your suppressor there are other options. If you want repeatability and precision as a premium over QD I challenge you to find anything that comes close.

It has all the benefits (and more) of a direct thread (for that use) without being direct thread. Griffin's QD on the other hand is not nearly as 'precision oriented' so you will have more POI shift ongoing because the can can be oriented different ways every time you put it on the gun.
    Good to hear. I may take you up on your offer, and then you really would have me talked in to GA.

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    No cans, no reloads. 5.56 was the obvious choice.
    Same conclusion I came to.

Here's the chosen one

Name:  Tango8.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  262.7 KB
    Perfect choice.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    The BA 10.5" came in yesterday.

Name:  Tango9.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  690.4 KB

Here's where I'm at right now

Name:  Tango16a.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  400.3 KB
    Last edited by Big_Tom; 14 September 2017 at 09:23.

Instagram- @tomcheaney9