Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dealer wont do the paperwork

Hey guys. So I purchased a suppressor from Primary Arms in February. It got shipped to the local at the beginning of April. They have been a complete pain in the ass. I have already done an SBR and a suppressor, and I was well aware of what 41F was doing. I won't get into all of it, but to this day they have still not sent in the paperwork. I walked into this place with all the paper work done, I just needed their information for the forms. They insisted upon charging me $100 for them to do it.

What can I do? Personally I would like to just get a refund, but thats a bit more complicated with a suppressor and one shipped from the seller to just a middle man. I have no idea where to go from here.
    Last edited by Aberration79; 15 September 2017 at 22:38.

Downloads
    Uploads
    $100 is about par for the course on an NFA transfer. When you consider that they have to keep the item for 6-12 months or longer, it's basically a storage fee. The paperwork is trivial.

If you want to get a refund call PA. If they refuse, do a charge back with your issuing bank, and that'll get things going. PA will want the suppressor back from the dealer.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't have a problem with paying $100. I have a problem with paying $100 and them not being able to get the paperwork submitted in 5 months.

I will talk with PA, thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like Slippers said, $100 isn't out of the norm. Dealers around me charge $50-100. Rainier Charges $75.

Before you transferred this to your dealer, did you inquire how much it would cost? Or did they suddenly raise their prices?

Next time buy an in-stock can from the dealer, or use a powered by Silencer Shop dealer when shopping with SS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did inquire. They said it would be a $35 transfer fee. This place is powered by Silencer Shop, which is another reason I chose them to transfer it to. Although at the time of the purchase Silencer Shop was not selling Dead Air products. Next time I am going through Silencer Shop. And I don't care if I have to drive 100 miles. I am never using this dealer again. For anything. The $100 was a complete surprise. The place I got my Sandman-S at only charged $35 to do the fingerprints and pictures. At this dealer, I had to go and get my own fingerprints and pictures done and paid for. I would have used the dealer I got the Sandman-S from, except the Mask I was trying to buy they wanted $100 more for...

My wife is going in today to see what fire she can light under their asses. This process is already long enough without having to wait 5 months for paperwork that takes maybe an hour. The only thing that makes it less stressful is I will be in Israel for a couple years and can't make much use of it. But I do come home every 4 months, so it would be nice to do some shooting with some new toys when I get in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you dealing with the owner of this business or is it some guy behind the counter? Take it to the top, talk with the owner directly...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Say what?

The entire thing sounds goofy.

Sure, the Class III dealer really doesn't do jack other than storing the NFA item. But he's the one with a Class III. So you pay their fee. It was your choice to send it to them. End of story. $100 is not out of the ordinary for an NFA transfer.

As far as fingerprint cards and photos... Most police/sheriffs do them. Some charge, some free. Our Chattanooga crime scene investigation unit does them free on Wednesdays. Passport size photos can be done at Walgreens for $10.

Paperwork hasn't been sent in for five months after the dealer received the suppressor and your $100? WTF? Is that true or is there more to the story? Did you jack them around on transfer fee payment until just now? Whatever... doesn't really matter at this point. Your question is what to do now-- Turn off the computer and go to your dealer. Stand there until they put their information on the paperwork, take it, make copies. Send it in yourself. I've never had my Class III dealer send anything in. Once I got the serial number I do the paperwork and take it to my Class II dealer, he fills in his part. I pay the transfer fee and he hands me the paperwork to mail. 6 months later I get a call... Phil, your tax stamp is here.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 16 September 2017 at 08:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sure it was my choice. Who said it wasn't my choice? Just because it was my choice doesn't mean they can't do what they are paid to do. End of story? Sorry I don't get what your point is there or why you have an attitude. I never said $100 was out of the ordinary, or that I had a problem with it. Like multiple times. Whatever.

The dealer is a father/mother and their son. The son takes care of the class 3 stuff. Each time I have talked with the owners, they say talk to their son. As I said, I am in Israel. And my wife is going in again today to find out what the problem is. So how exactly is getting off the computer going to do any good?

No jacking around, money was paid directly on the first day with no complaint from us. I walked in with the paperwork completed. I only needed the serial number and them to fill in their information. The son refused and insisted he did the paperwork. Believe me, I would have much rather just paid $100 and completed the paperwork and sent it in myself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My apologies. I took it that you will be in Israel, not that you are already there.

Five months is a long time to let something like this fester. If contacting the dealer didn't get it done the first time and they didn't have a legit issue (son in hospital or something), I'd have been on the phone with the ATF on week two followed by a letter and copies addressed to the Class III dealer and stocking dealer. If I was in Israel, I'd e-mail my wife the letter and have her drop all three in the mail today. Let the letter arrive at the dealer before the wife visits them. That would be my suggestion today. Nothing good comes from allowing these things to age. Good luck.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 16 September 2017 at 10:16.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The dealer's non-cooperation can't be good for his chances of renewing his SOT.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    My apologies. I took it that you will be in Israel, not that you are already there.

Five months is a long time to let something like this fester. If contacting the dealer didn't get it done the first time and they didn't have a legit issue (son in hospital or something), I'd have been on the phone with the ATF on week two followed by a letter and copies addressed to the Class III dealer and stocking dealer. If I was in Israel, I'd e-mail my wife the letter and have her drop all three in the mail today. Let the letter arrive at the dealer before the wife visits them. That would be my suggestion today. Nothing good comes from allowing these things to age. Good luck.
    No worries. Shit happens when reading on forums.

I've never had problems with this process. So that's why I came here, because I didn't know what could be done about it. I've had a previous career ruined over some stupid BS, and I don't really wanting to be ruining someone else's over it either. It's one of the reasons I took this temp job in Israel. And besides that it just feels wrong to be contacting the government when maybe it's not necessary. Personally most people think I am a giant asshole, and I try not to be one. I didn't want to over react, maybe crap like this is normal. I hear all sorts of stories about how poor LGS's can be.

She went in, she spoke with the owner. He insisted the paperwork was submitted, but didn't use tracking. He said the ATF notifies them when they get the paperwork. That doesn't seem right to me, I've never been notified. Maybe it's different for dealers? They said they are going to contact the ATF and get back to her Tuesday, so tomorrow in the States.

If they can't provide anything further, then I guess I will have to speak with the ATF and Primary Arms. I really hate having to do these kind of things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Call the ATF, give them your name (or trust name if that's what you used), along with the serial number. They can tell you the status if it was actually submitted.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now the dealer says everything has been sent in? Did they say what date this occurred?

Assuming you gave the dealer a $200 check for the ATF five months ago, yes?

The feds have always cashed my check immediately. Has your check cleared? If so, the date it cleared will give you a good idea when the dealer sent it in. If not cleared, that would tell me the dealer just recently or never sent it in.

As far as checking status... which is circled on line #9? Consent to disclose information to transferee. Do or DO NOT (circle one) authorize ATF to provide information relating to this. Mine has always been circled DO, so I don't know what if any information the ATF will divulge if circled DO NOT.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 19 September 2017 at 08:13.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, the dealer has said everything was sent in. Of course no date. No tracking. No record of anything.

Yep we gave them the check 5 months ago. They didn't send it in right away because at first they said they were waiting for my background check to get back from the Sheriffs. So they said they sent it in after I explained to them that this is not going to happen, thats not what 41F did.

My wife went in to the dealer, who never returned her call as they said they would. He said he called the NFA and they said it was 'in processing'. She demanded a copy of the paperwork, which they couldn't find. So she at least got the serial #. The next day the son e-mailed her the forms. She called the NFA and spoke with, I think she said Laura, from the NFA for a while. I guess she was very nice. She probably liked dealing with a real problem and not someone bugging them about how long it was going to take to get the stamp. They have not received the paperwork. The NFA said this was a bit a problem for the dealer because they have a timeline from the time they get the transfer to when they submit the paperwork.

Anyways. Now she is going to go back in, and raise hell because they lied to her face. There is no way they called the NFA. And she is going to ask them for a refund. If they don't we will just contact the bank. The further problem for me is, since we can only assume everything is lost, we can't just send in new forms. Because I am in Israel and can't get new fingerprints and photos sent to her. So I need to contact PA and explain the situation and hopefully they understand.

Then when I get home in Christmas I'll get like 5 fingerprint cards made to have on hand for the next try. Dang it, I was really looking forward to a silenced 22.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd follow up with a letter to the ATF with copies to the clown you're dealing with and stocking dealer.