Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    About a week or two before its release

Since we are pretty close to that time, let's reveal how it differs from the billet receiver on which it is based:

1. Relief cuts on the section before rails start for better accessibility of a flip up BUIS's slight stalk / flip up element. This part is subtle enough that majority of folks who saw the prototype pics didn't see the cuts were there, or didn't know what they were for lol.

2. Relief on the top of forward assist housing. This part visually stands out quite a bit, but the reason behind it may not be as clear. The relief cuts are specifically made for ambi charging handle users. When the user uses his right fingers to pinch and grasp the CH's right latch, the cut allows the index finger to reach down further for a more secure purchase, especially if the user has gloves on. When we use our left fingers to grab the charging handle's left latch, there is nothing below the latch, but on an upper with forward assist, its housing stands in the way. The relief simply provides what room that can be spared on the FA housing so more of the user's finger can have a positive purchase.

3. Change of laser engraving to our Cyngus logo, with the letters URF next to it. That's it, not even company name. Our logo policy is that if there is to be one, it must be discreet and in good taste. It functions as an identifier, not advertising that no customers signed up for.

As mentioned earlier, I think the standard upper is pretty good and hard to improve on. We made two slight changes that are functions related, I think anything more would just approach the cosmetic / life style / fashion realm, where things are different for the sake of being different, but not better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    About a week or two before its release

Since we are pretty close to that time, let's reveal how it differs from the billet receiver on which it is based:

1. Relief cuts on the section before rails start for better accessibility of a flip up BUIS's slight stalk / flip up element. This part is subtle enough that majority of folks who saw the prototype pics didn't see the cuts were there, or didn't know what they were for lol.

2. Relief on the top of forward assist housing. This part visually stands out quite a bit, but the reason behind it may not be as clear. The relief cuts are specifically made for ambi charging handle users. When the user uses his right fingers to pinch and grasp the CH's right latch, the cut allows the index finger to reach down further for a more secure purchase, especially if the user has gloves on. When we use our left fingers to grab the charging handle's left latch, there is nothing below the latch, but on an upper with forward assist, its housing stands in the way. The relief simply provides what room that can be spared on the FA housing so more of the user's finger can have a positive purchase.

3. Change of laser engraving to our Cyngus logo, with the letters URF next to it. That's it, not even company name. Our logo policy is that if there is to be one, it must be discreet and in good taste. It functions as an identifier, not advertising that no customers signed up for.

As mentioned earlier, I think the standard upper is pretty good and hard to improve on. We made two slight changes that are functions related, I think anything more would just approach the cosmetic / life style / fashion realm, where things are different for the sake of being different, but not better.
    Can't wait to see it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has it been two weeks yet?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    Has it been two weeks yet?
    No

Downloads
    Uploads
    They will be shipped to us next week

On a somewhat related note, SBCGs are in the latest stage of production (laser engraving) before being sent to Sionics for staking. Sionics has an expensive machine from Ned that properly and securely stakes a bunch of them in a minute.

I didn't try to time these two products. LDFA, which is also a related product to URF, has been out of stock for some time and the latest version should be out around the same time frame as well, I'd like to have all three together but it looks like it will be URF first (in 1 to 1.5 weeks), SBCG second, and 4130 LDFA last, around Thanksgiving.

LDFA will see a significant increase in MSRP. We switched to 4130 steel and black nitride coating. If anyone wants a current version (and lower cost) 17-4 SS black oxided LDFA, now's the time to get them from our dealers.
    Last edited by Duffy; 20 October 2017 at 08:05.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In this pic you can see one of the changes we made This is URF #1, fresh off the laser engraver. They're not serialized, not sure if there's a point to that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    CMT.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    we're gonna need to see more pics Duffy, looks good though

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is indeed CMT. I met Jeff and his lovely wife at a Rainier Arms SHOT show party in 2015, but I've been a fan going back far longer.

I like the CMT receiver's angular looks, it's a great basis for the two minor changes we'd make, both of which can be seen in this pic:

The relief on the upper section before the rails begin, is designed for better folding BUIS access.
    The relief on the top of the forward assist housing is designed specifically for ambi charging handle users. It allows the right finger to reach down further for a better charging handle latch purchase. The section is thinned down as much as can be thinned down without compromising the FA housing's structural integrity.

As mentioned earlier, I deem these changes rather minor myself, they're ergonomics driven. But if we were to have a receiver bearing our name, it'd be this. A standard A3 receiver is not easy to improve on (cosmetics don't count). These two changes are based on my own experience as a shooter, things that I've always thought "why didn't they do this, it'd make it easier to use"

We're in the position to do it, Jeff Cross at CMT is an absolute joy to work with. From the day I sent him the concept to the day URFs are en route to us, it took all of 5 weeks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    It is indeed CMT. I met Jeff and his lovely wife at a Rainier Arms SHOT show party in 2015, but I've been a fan going back far longer.

I like the CMT receiver's angular looks, it's a great basis for the two minor changes we'd make, both of which can be seen in this pic:

The relief on the upper section before the rails begin, is designed for better folding BUIS access.
    The relief on the top of the forward assist housing is designed specifically for ambi charging handle users. It allows the right finger to reach down further for a better charging handle latch purchase. The section is thinned down as much as can be thinned down without compromising the FA housing's structural integrity.

As mentioned earlier, I deem these changes rather minor myself, they're ergonomics driven. But if we were to have a receiver bearing our name, it'd be this. A standard A3 receiver is not easy to improve on (cosmetics don't count). These two changes are based on my own experience as a shooter, things that I've always thought "why didn't they do this, it'd make it easier to use"

We're in the position to do it, Jeff Cross at CMT is an absolute joy to work with. From the day I sent him the concept to the day URFs are en route to us, it took all of 5 weeks.
    It looks great. I like your reliefs. Great job. Looking forward to other's pics on builds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    The FA housing relief is a simple broad stroke, I guess we could have made its presence less shockingly obvious. These changes we made are there to work, I didn't give much thoughts to how it'd look, only that it'd create as much clearance as the FA housing can afford to give.

Here's another perspective of the two mods:

Downloads
    Uploads
    That it is a CMT upper makes it all the more desireable. :) Is the exclusive FCD lower coming through CMT too???

Downloads
    Uploads
    If URF does well, the LRF will follow, also from CMT. We've talked about it and it's feasible, but we do need to see how URF does in a market already saturated with many excellent uppers.

That the URF is based on CMT's upper is a considered move, it's a great upper receiver already, with or without our mods, and I like Jeff's design philosophy, which incidentally is close to my own, it's manifested in his products. Simple, elegant, without useless fanfare and fashion bits.
    Last edited by Duffy; 27 October 2017 at 12:33.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So can we assume the LRF will be based on a CMT lower as well?

*Edit* nevermind...derr, that's what I get for not refreshing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks great Roger. I really dig your method of problem solving and simplicity.