Downloads
    Uploads

Sig P226---Help Request

I finally figured out that I wanted/needed some suppressor sites for my 226. My new sites should be here in a few days but I am wondering if there are any hints, tips, or tricks to taking the old ones off and putting the new ones on?

I watched a Youtube video on it and the guy just used a punch and drove the old ones out and the new ones in. Seems simple enough.

Any tips though to get the sites adjusted?

Based on Youtube it doesn't look like I am getting into some big crazy 'professionals only' type project but if you guys have any tips please let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to have a 226, and I have a 228. Both times, I let the dept armorer install the sights with a sight pusher.

I've seen some very botched DIY home installations without the proper tools. In fact there is one the medic and I saw first hand recently, so again, please use the right tools or take it to an armorer. This day of AR's is making everyone and anyone believe they are qualified to do whatever with firearms.

I

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sight Pusher. My friend used his sight pusher to install my RMR plate on my pistol. He told me of how folks have rolled the dovetail edge using a punch. If you've got a bore sight laser or weapon laser, take note of the sight picture with the existing sights. Then try to match afterward. Could save some fiddlin' time at the range.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ended up taking my pistol to my FFL/gunsmith.

Good news and bad news.

Bad news my gunsmith is closing up shop and moving to Montana. I have to find a new guy now...

Good news is he installed my new sites for me and showed me how to do it as well as gave me a bunch of tips of the trade.

Basically it is a really simple process. He said he's tried a lot of different types of pushers and his preference was to use a trusty aluminum bar.

He has a vice there with some aluminum L stock that had rubber glued to it. He clamped my gun in there and put that little aluminum bar next to the base of the site and whacked the crap out of it with a hammer. Out she came. It was TIGHT in there but he did it like he knew what he was doing.

Same thing on the back.

When he installed the new ones he squared up his square aluminum bar to the right size with a file and tapped the new ones right in place. It took all of about 10 minutes. After he was done and sighted the gun in he took a blueing pen and rubbed it all over where the aluminum bar had left marks...

That blueing pen dissolved that aluminum just like that. Then a good rub down with a brush and some gun oil and I was on my way. There were no marks, gashes, idiot marks, nothing.

That square aluminum bar that he used --as well as the blueing pen was the way to go. He gave me a couple of pieces of that bar stock in case I ever needed to adjust them or swap anything out in the future.

Overall it was a pretty good $40 lesson.