Thread: Tension Screw?

Downloads
    Uploads

Tension Screw?

Some higher priced stripped lowers advertise a feature called a tension screw. Anyone drill and tap a tension screw in a existing standard mil spec lower? Worth considering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just don't get the obsession with a tightly fitting upper and lower. So the upper wobbles a bit. If everything still functions, why is this a big deal? Mostly a rhetorical question.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It sticks in people's craw.

What's a craw?

It's where shit gets stuck.

There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    To the point, there's two schools of thought. Some associate a tight fit with quality, ie: a "solid" build. Others don't care. Bottom line is does it affect accuracy one way or the other? No. Does it signify quality? Not particularly; some "Top shelf" manufacturers fit loosely, and some fit only with persuasion from a mallet. Remember, when a manufacturer claims a receiver is machined from a solid billet, there's still going to be slop introduced from tooling, so two pieces make just a good a set, not taking fit into account at all. Bottom line is the only person that should have an opinion that matters is the owner. If you like it tight, have at it. Whatever helps you use the tool the best, right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It COULD absolutely effect accuracy depending on how crap your fit is. I've got a customers gun on my bench right now where the front lug upper to lower fit swings like a door axially on the take down pin. Accuracy is all about consistency. If your upper wiggles and moves from shot to shot then you will see a loss - or maybe not a loss but not the full potential of the system. Is it worth tapping and going through the motions to have it? On a range plinker or "tactical class taker" most likely the answer is no.

If it's a precision 6.5 Cm build...probably going to want everything as tight and consistent as possible to maximize the system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it's a precision 6.5 Cm build, I'll take a bolt action any day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Will it help, perhaps. Do you need to use it? Proobably not. Will it hurt? Only if you over tighten it. Mine are all backed out. Try it with and without. My recommendation, just a little kiss or nothing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One thing I've learned about sloppy fitting upper/lower combos is they only get worse. A 5 minute job to install a tension screw is a no brainer IMO.

Say what you want but without question the upper being loose will affect accuracy. I've had groups change by swapping lowers even with identical parts in both.

I use the ones with a spring loaded bearing in them.

https://www.carrlane.com/en-us/produ...tainless-steel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Over the years, ONE of the many things that I've found that affect accuracy is repeatability. That includes ammo, fitment, etc. I can't see how a sloppy loose upper to lower fit, could not affect accuracy. I'm lucky that all of mine fit tight, some actually take muscle to wrangle apart.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I just don't get the obsession with a tightly fitting upper and lower. So the upper wobbles a bit. If everything still functions, why is this a big deal? Mostly a rhetorical question.

Well I could see it both ways......... but when your overly ocd and have built everything from little cry gas motors to the real deal you carry that over to anything..at least I do..

I hold everything to a higher level and I can see if you have a sloppy set starting off and you use it, well I would assume it would only get worse and worse over time...and start to affect things...

That said I don’t have or had any upper and lowers that were beat in pin tight.

I have sets with and without the tension screw, and it helps but if the front is wobbly then it only bandaids it more it seems... It drives me nuts but what can you do...maybe one day I’ll get a chance to get a nice set that’s snug

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have sets with and without, and both types seem to shoot okay. Having said that ... the Ascend Armory 308 Receiver set arrived so tight that I had to hook a piece of cord around the CH slot to get them apart. It was so difficult, I thought the pins were not pushed out enough. That set also has a tension screw. It was below the surface of the receiver and I did not adjust it up against the upper lug. The set is so tight that when I push the take-down pin, I have to break it over my thigh like I was bustin' kindling for a fire; and that is with an 18" barrel for leverage !
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"