Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Griffin can getting ready to drop...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am already on the wait list.

A .22 LR can that can withstand a full auto 5.56 mag dump and is rated up to .22-250...

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Meh......

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Meh......
    Exactly. Nothing to see here... move along.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I had a 5.7 gun, I’d be all over it. They sound way better with larger cans than a typical .22 suppressor.

I don’t think the full benefit of this can is being recognized at all

These meter 136dB on a 16” AR. Not bad for a. Ultra light hunting rig or something you want to knock the edge off of. Probably meters the same at 8oz as my 17oz direct thread 5.56 can.

Griffin said:

“We asked ourselves what would be cool if a rimfire can could do that? We already made a 3 lug .22lr can for 11 years. We thought it would be cool if we could take a tiny rimfire can and legitimately put it on something like a 14.5" AR or a 20" A2 in the out of box configuration and shoot 5.56mm through it. We thought, why not also make it compatible with a standard 9mm pistol 3 lug mount we make so it could have parts commonality with items already in a customers collection? We thought if the 5.3" can will take 14.5" 5.56mm, why not also make a taper mount interface and accept those mounts. And while doing that, why not design it so it can take 22-250, or 222 Remington, or 22 nosler? And then we made the can and realized it was even cooler than we imagined it could be. That it was just awesome to push a Surefire D60 through a take apart rimfire can.

Does it do everything? No. Is it compromised for rimfire use? Absolutely not. It meters 115 on a pistol, 116 on a rifle, it is quiet, it is short. It is lighter and more quiet than the old (and weaker 5.7mm rated) 9.5 or 10 ounce SWR Spectre .22lr that really was popular in its time when we had a 3.5 ounce Checkmate that wasn't as popular.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Meh......
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Exactly. Nothing to see here... move along.
    Just out of curiosity why the cold reception?

I have my own thoughts right off the bat but I am interested in hearing what other people have to say first.

Initially I was going to get one of these as soon as it dropped but I will do some side by side comparisons first.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post

I have my own thoughts right off the bat but I am interested in hearing what other people have to say first.

Initially I was going to get one of these as soon as it dropped but I will do some side by side comparisons first.
    Some people don’t have a use for it but I really see potential. Would be GREAT for a PS90 or 5.7 pistol. 136dB, 1.1” diameter and 8oz? I wouldn’t notice that on my hunting rig!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post

It's not Griffin.

But until someone brings out some crazy new alloy or a different approach to baffle stack suppressors, they're all pretty much the same.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Some people don’t have a use for it but I really see potential. Would be GREAT for a PS90 or 5.7 pistol. 136dB, 1.1” diameter and 8oz? I wouldn’t notice that on my hunting rig!
    Versatility is a good thing. I don't doubt for 10 miliseconds that this will be a hard core tough as nails can. That said I am curious now about several things regarding .22 cans in general.

I am going to do some homework and see what I can come up with...

A few questions/observations so far...

A quick perusal of Silencer Shop's site shows that most of the rimfire cans are baffle stacks instead of monocore. One would think monocore would be more consistent merely because the orientation of the "baffles" will be the same no matter what. That said I could be wrong and I am definitely in the minority per Silencer Shop's offerings.

I notice with my Revolution 9 that when I take it all apart and put it back together I get POI shift. It's easily correctable but it makes me wonder. Best I can tell is with a baffle stack can you will zero, dirty up the can some, and DON'T clean it for a while.

I really have a lot of questions to ask or figure out the answers to. I can configure my Revolution 9 for .22 and it's quiet as hell.

Lots and lots of questions about what would be my best bet (if anything) in this arena.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    It's not Griffin.

But until someone brings out some crazy new alloy or a different approach to baffle stack suppressors, they're all pretty much the same.
    That was the first thing that I noticed too was it's a baffle stack. I have no idea if that helps or hurts anything.

If you want different check out the Q Erector.

As for .22 cans I am really not sure what (if anything) I feel would be the best option for me.

I am ALL for versatility. I would rather have a can that is way over built than anything that is under built. That said I am not really sure if or what is the best thing for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Monocores tend to have more FRP. I like my .22 can mono, though; it’s minimal and is gone after a shot is fired or a CC of water, and I don’t have to clean a bunch of baffles. Pretty easy. My 9mm can, the K baffles can only go in ONE way and all I have to do is orient the s/n on the can to the same direction and it’s all back in the same position as last time. Not familiar hands on wise with many other designs when it comes to the subtleties of individual design differences

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are a couple of other thoughts that are specific to me (not Griffin).

I am going to build a really nice 10/22 (100% KIDD). I have more than half the parts now.

In the mean time I have what I call a 'franken 10-22' which was made up of a bunch of random parts from a gun that was given to me. Shooting that frakengun suppressed I have noticed a few other things. It gets dirty and gums up (or so it seems) after a bit of suppressed shooting. I guess that just comes with the turf. I am not that sure if this is other people's experience. It's very possible that my current 10/22 is a POS but I would like to hear other people's experience shooting a lot suppressed .22 out of a 10/22.

My 5.56 SBR I can run that suppressed and to be honest I don't recall cleaning it for a really long time. I don't know but it seems like a 10/22 requires a lot more cleaning. Again this could just be my POS gun pieced together from donated parts.

Shooting subsonics through a 10/22 is a pain in the ass. Most of the ammo won't reliably cycle the bolt. That said I have heard of people tuning their 10/22 to cycle subs.

I would kind of like to get a cool .22 bolt gun that I can run subs all day long through. I will cannibalize my current 10/22 so in the end I might end up with two .22 rifles.

I would LIKE to get the rifles as accurate as possible but as far as I can tell that is just hit and miss and basically (once you get the rifle put together) a matter of ammo selection.

I am also curious about shooting .22 shorts. 29 grain CCI shorts are 1080 fps but when you break it down by price a regular subsonic is about the same price so it's just a wash.

At the end of the day I can cover .22 with my Revolution 9. I have all the stuff to configure it for .22 and its very quiet. Once I get my act together and finish my KIDD build I can build that one for accuracy and the bolt gun just put a red dot on it and go for it.

I know I am making this way more complicated than it should be but it's not like I can just run out and buy a suppressor, at least not yet. And you know me, I over think all this stuff. At the same time I am not sure if a .22 can is in the cards for me or not. Let's be real, once my money is in order I will get one most likely but I rarely shoot .22 to be honest.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My neighbor shoots subs all day long out of 5-6 totally customized 10/22s, suppressed and unsuppressed. I’ll pick his brain

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    My neighbor shoots subs all day long out of 5-6 totally customized 10/22s, suppressed and unsuppressed. I’ll pick his brain
    Yes please do and report back. I am curious as to how one would tune a 10/22 for subsonic shooting.

More than that though my slapped together 10/22 seems to gum up and I get misfeeds etc. Again it could be because I don't have a good gun or whatever.

As for a bolt gun it's not like .22 bolt actions are super expensive. I still might get one of those too.

I am already committed to the top tier 10/22 but the bolt action is just a thought. I would like it for sure though. I hate having to constantly fiddle with my action when it jams up.