Downloads
    Uploads

Griffin Armament ALPHA Silencer

Description: 7.62 mm full auto rated suppressor rated to 300 WinMag (semi) pressures. The major selling points are light weight, user serviceablility and versatility across several popular calibers.

Specs

Weight 14.5 ounces

Length: 7.6"

Rated barrel lengths: 7.5" 5.56mm, 8" 300BLK, 8" 7.62x39, 8" 6.8SPC, 12.5" 7.62x51, and 22" 300Win Mag

Would I buy it again? Hell YES, absolutely, and I'd recommend it to a friend.

Pros: Weight, Performance, maneuverability, machining fit and finish, included accessories, available accessories

Cons: Cost (Wah!)

This is my first foray into suppressor ownership, and I think I did a pretty good job. There are a whole other set of pros and cons for so-called "Cover-All" silencers, but this one was compelling as I like most people here, shoot more than one caliber, thus making this can relevant to my needs. When doing the research, I'd initially set my sights on another Griffin offering, the RECCE 7, but with the advent of a user serviceable, multi-caliber model, the Alpha became a no brainer. As a knife aficionado, I'm somewhat of a self-confessed "steel snob" with a penchant for titanium. The Alpha was again a no brainer in the materials category, with a billet 17-4 stainless tube and Ti baffle cones. Per the Griffin website, 17-4 performs better than Inconel or Stellite 6k, which is why they utilized it further for the blast baffle as well. The unit is serviceable via removable end caps, which come fenestrated in .30 cal and .22 cal sizes with the .22 cap being an option.

The rifle I used for this review is my .300 BLK 10.5" SBR. I installed the can on a version 1 of the Griffin Armament FlashComp muzzle device. When I installed the MD, I used blue loctite with 5 lbs of torque. This should be enough to counteract the single drawback of the taper mount system, which is the MD coming off with the suppressor. I can't say I noticed a substantial first shot "bark" as the first shot effectively drained all the blood from my head to an instant freedom boner (FB). Subsequent shots were such that I removed my ear pro and enjoyed shooting and conversing at the same time for the first time since my primary was a BB gun! I can't really relate the quiet factor, but things I didn't notice were very apparent: I didn't notice as much concussion from the blast. I didn't notice any increase in recoil or muzzle rise, and while firing at a casual pace, I didn't notice excessive heat, or shimmer off the can... at least for the first mag. Heat built-up pretty quickly after the first dozen shots and having a can koozie became a great idea (I hadn't ordered one and Silencer Shop is getting some money now). I didn't have any failures to load during rapid fire, and the bolt locked back on empty every time. I also didn't notice the SPROING!! thing, but am not sure my hearing wasn't still impaired by the FB.

I did notice an excessive amount of smoke and grunge in the receiver after an afternoon of shooting. I'm pretty meticulous about taking care of my gear, but this has me thinking about an adjustable gas block, and I have to admit the idea of a halfway clean piston upper a la Superlative Arms is still tempting me, and those prices are bargain basement! Still, the benefit of reduced gas via the operating system does not change blowback via the barrel, so the gain is debateable. Is the small reduction of dirt worth the extra tonnage of the rod system? No idea, but the 416 fanboys seem pretty happy (although I think its their German pride shining through). I still thank God for the people who taught me to listen and learn from other people's experiences!

Another thing I didn't notice was excessive weight hanging off the end of my rifle. Part of that is d/t it being an SBR, I'm sure, but credit also goes to the svelte Alpha's fighting weight of only 14.5 ounces, thanks to the large usage of titanium. I do need to acquire an H2 buffer to counter the excess of gas slamming the BCG. The gas face with my setup right now is pretty intense with a Raptor CH. Put it this way: I'd never seen a pmag smoking when empty until today. That was with a relatively slow rate, taking about 5 minutes to drain the full mag. Griffin rates the Alpha for a max of three mags before mandatory cool down. Not a problem for most of us. Their video of the can on a SAW at FA, running a belt through is impressive. Nonetheless, I'll never get to the point of nearing failure, even when running on a FA lower because I never have a thousand dollars to burn on full retard!

One con that I set aside for last seems snarky and I hope nobody at GA is offended by it; the name change. I'm sure some bunghole sent a cease and desist letter and they had to change the name to something, but Paladin? Are they +5 against evil critters like in dungeons and dragons?? Come on, guys! I get marketing, but this can should be called the FREEDOM BONER INDUCING, BADASS MOFO'N ASS KICKER!!! Okay, rant off. I'm off to do some more shooting. SHHH!!!

RANT #2 (for those keeping track)

Griffin released their updated Paladin very recently, which kinda made me mad. I mean, I spent a grand on a new suppressor and the successor is out before I even get to fingerbang mine. This rant is strictly aimed at the ATF for its onerous waiting periods to get a form 4 approved, but I really can't complain too much as I filed my individual form 4 in early February and got my can the first of this month while there are people still waiting over a year for their trust form 4's to be approved.

Hat's off to Griffin Armament for a top-shelf product and continued R&D during a pronounced lull inspired by all the people waiting for the HPA to pass!
    Last edited by Joelski; 16 October 2017 at 19:09.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I did notice an excessive amount of smoke and grunge in the receiver after an afternoon of shooting. I'm pretty meticulous about taking care of my gear, but this has me thinking about an adjustable gas block, and I have to admit the idea of a halfway clean piston upper a la Superlative Arms is still tempting me
    Piston won't do you a bit of good. Just saying. It will be just as dirty. The gas block IMO is fine, but not a necessity. I run adjustables on everything and IMO it does help tune the gun.

I do need to acquire an H2 buffer to counter the excess of gas and the gas face with my setup right now is pretty intense with a Raptor CH. Put it this way: I'd never seen a pmag smoking when empty until today.
    H2 again won't help with gas in the face. An H2 will help slow the carrier speed down. If the gun has too much gas and is basically over pressured it will slam the BCG back too fast and will cause malfunctions. This is why you would use a heavier buffer. Heavier buffer will have no impact on gas in the face.

Griffin does make a pretty bad ass charging handle that does work. It won't eliminate everything but it's a good addition. I run adjustable block and the GA charging handle with a gas port built in and my gun is not really super gassy but it has made me shed a tear or two before LOL!

Griffin rates the Alpha for a max of three mags before mandatory cool down. Not a problem for most of us.
    This is pretty much the case with most rifle cans (at least in common calibers). It's not just your can that has this 3 mag thing. The temperatures reached within 3 mags is HOT. Like REAL HOT. It can 1. Damage the finish to your can, and 2. it can actually change the metalurgy of your can as well. Extreme heat and cooling repeated can damage any suppressor. 3 mags and under is pretty much normal use but personally I don't dump that many mags on average.

One con that I set aside for last seems snarky and I hope nobody at GA is offended by it; the name change. I'm sure some bunghole sent a cease and desist letter and they had to change the name to something, but Paladin?
    I didn't know about that until now. But apparently someone did complain about the copyright name so they had to change it. I read it on the internet so it must be true.

Griffin released their updated Paladin very recently, which kinda made me mad. I mean, I spent a grand on a new suppressor and the successor is out before I even get to fingerbang mine.
    I am not sure what they changed but I know the Recce 7 just had a minor tune up to some basic minor geometry inside the can. If I recall they did not do hardly any major changes. They just changed a little bit of the baffle geometry to accommodate machining processes. Everything else was the same. I wouldn't sweat it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. I've got a Paladin in jail. Went through the same thought process as you - was eyeing the Recce 7 and thought this was worth a few bones more.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I failed to articulate myself properly. I'm not as stupid as some of my writings make me seem. Alamo; thanks for pointing out my errata. I never turn down proof reading help on longass posts! Consequently, I edited the shit out of that paragraph, not to discredit your observations, but to better explain my original thought that was interrupted.

One thing: you aren't changing the metallurgy, you're changing the temper. To change the metallurgy would be to convert steel to lead, or some such thing. Ruining the temper makes metal more malleable vs. the desired hardness/strength. It's just as much of an art as crucible particle metallurgy, but involves heat/cooling cycles with quenching at points optionally.
    Last edited by Joelski; 16 October 2017 at 19:17.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I failed to articulate myself properly. I'm not as stupid as some of my writings make me seem. Alamo; thanks for pointing out my errata. I never turn down proof reading help on longass posts! Consequently, I edited the shit out of that paragraph, not to discredit your observations, but to better explain my original thought that was interrupted.

One thing: you aren't changing the metallurgy, you're changing the temper. To change the metallurgy would be to convert steel to lead, or some such thing. Ruining the temper makes metal more malleable vs. the desired hardness/strength. It's just as much of an art as crucible particle metallurgy, but involves heat/cooling cycles with quenching at points optionally.
    At least I read that long ass post of yours. LOL! They gave me a little bit of crap for long posts so now it's my turn! LOL! Next on my bucket list is to pick on a Ginger. HAHAAA!!!

Anyway your can is a great one. If you want a one size fits all "I only had to wait once" deal you would be hard pressed to do better.

As most of you guys know I am pretty nerdy at times. I like to know how stuff works...and these one size fits all cans (particularly Griffin ones) the trade off is when you get out of .30 caliber. I only say that because I haven't researched out every other can out there from all the manufacturers. That said there are a thousand worse things to do with your money than own a Griffin can... :) I am hooked on their stuff. They should make my ass a spokesman LOL!

As for me, I am going to get their new .22 can once it drops. Hopefully my money situation isn't screwed by then. After that I just need a Revolution .45 and I will have all my calibers covered.

As for right now I configure my Revolution 9 to shoot .22 and it's pretty frickin' quiet especially with subs. I would kind of like to round up a bolt action .22 with a threaded barrel. Something where I can shoot subs and it won't hang up all the time. Once I am stocked up on my cans I can focus my checking account on suppressor hosts. I have too damn many things I want.