Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd3 View Post
    I've only owned a few pistols, and I am surer happy with my xDm. Aside from the double charge earlier this year, it's run very well for me. I only replaced my original one with a new threaded barrel version as it was cheaper to replace it rather than buying an aftermarket barrel. I started out shooting my Grandfathers service pistol, and really want to get a nice 1911, but only after I can afford such an endeavor. I've got a good friend who's built a few 1911s and they are very smooth operators. He's going to assist me with one when I get the parts. I've shot my brother's Beretta 92, and it's nice pistol, but I don't like the external trigger bar, as I shoot left handed and it feels funky with my grip.
    Currently, I don't own any 9mm pistols, so I'm probably going to get a Glock gen 5, just don't know if it's going to be 19 or 17.
    Please don't mod your grandpa's service pistol, although I might be old enough to be your grandpa, those stock pistols are getting more and more rare. Getting an Ed Brown, Wilson Combat or Les Baer pistol(s) can cost you out the nose, I'd prefer to keep a model 70 in the safe than the one of the finest customs. (Not knocking them, I've spent a fortune getting 1911's tune to the max by a few of the custom houses). Glad to hear your getting into Glocks. For a couple or 3 hundo's you can get a pretty slick gun, without bastardizing an increasingly rare 1911.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Please don't mod your grandpa's service pistol, although I might be old enough to be your grandpa, those stock pistols are getting more and more rare. Getting an Ed Brown, Wilson Combat or Les Baer pistol(s) can cost you out the nose, I'd prefer to keep a model 70 in the safe than the one of the finest customs. (Not knocking them, I've spent a fortune getting 1911's tune to the max by a few of the custom houses). Glad to hear your getting into Glocks. For a couple or 3 hundo's you can get a pretty slick gun, without bastardizing an increasingly rare 1911.

FT
    The only thing we've had to do over the years is replace the broken extractor. We still have the original broken part. It's well kept, I even have the holster, half blued mag, mag pouch, and field manual. All in pretty decent condition. The serial number indicates that it will be 100 years old next year. It's a family functioning keepsake that we do fire on occasion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    WOW!, you do have a heirloom, don't you? I'd like to see that one!
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads

Older photo, but it works!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow!, pretty rare to find everything original and together like that.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    cjd3, that's pretty cool. I am slowly starting to gain more appreciation of historic guns. That's pretty interesting stuff for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On a different note though, I am kind of curious what are people's favorite .22LR pistols? I am on a .22 kick lately and I might make that my next 'thing'. There are all different set ups for .22 pistols...

In the other thread JerryR put up a cool picture....

I would be curious about people's opinions of .22LR suppressor hosts and what the various options are out there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The pistol I cut my teeth on is a Ruger MKII Govt stainless I received for Christmas my senior year in '98. I'd be willing to bet I put over 10K rounds through it. I absolutely love everything about it, the ergonomics are perfect for me, the weight keeps its steady enough to pull off some ridiculously long shots and the trigger is super smooth with such a short reset. Everything on it is still stock. I've shot my dad's Browning gold medalist, a few Browning buckmarks, sig mosquito, walther p22 and none come close to my MKII Govt for me.

The first combat/defensive pistol I started shooting was a Remington-Rand 1911 service pistol my Grandfather traded his brother for. I really liked that pistol and my grandfather had loaned it to me long term until he and his brother had a temporary "falling out" and he wanted it back. I still greatly miss that old warhorse. I've never bought a 1911 to replace it because every time I consider it it makes me wanna throat-punch my great-uncle for demanding that Remington-Rand back.

When I turned 21 I purchased a G23C as my first self bought handgun. I didn't have a lot of money to drop on a sig or hk usp like I had been lusting for. I really enjoyed that G23, I shot it accurately and learned to ride the trigger reset. I liked the simplicity if the Glock design, easy field stripping and not a lot of parts to it. I eventually picked up a G22 police trade in/refurb for a steal and traded into a G27 for my wife(I'm an unrepentant .40sw whore) since she shot my G23 and G22 well, but wanted something smaller for herself. I eventually did a grip-chop mod to the G22 making it the same grip dimensions as the G27 and it became my ccw for everyday carry. The G23C started becoming a coffee table drawer gun and hardly got shot or carried so I sold it and purchased a G20 10mm with the proceeds. I had been wanting a woods gun/hunting pistol in 10mm since I had read Jeff Cooper's writings on the round as a kid and figured I'd get the Glock offering to stick with what I know. Couldn't be happier with the choice, it's been a potent and fun gun so far.

I've put a few hundred rounds through friends Springfield xd 40's and S&W M&P 40's and they both left me feeling meh. Hated the trigger reset on both, and even though the ergot weren't horrible for me they didn't feel as natural in my hand as Glocks do. I've had the pleasure of shooting a friend's sig P220 and an hk usp and absolutely loved both of them, ergos felt great and I shot them well. I wouldn't mind owning both someday, but every time I think about their price tags I think I could mostly outfit a G40 MOS with suppressor height sights and a rds for a slight bit more.

I know I'll be acquiring more pistols in the future, most certainly a G40 MOS. It sig P220 (especially now that its chambered in 10mm) and hk models all perk my interest along with my curiosity in checking out what CZ has to offer. I'll also be inheriting a WWII German issue Walther PP .32 acp from my grandfather, that I've shot a fair bit. It's a fun little pistol and a cool piece of history that I look forward to having one day hopefully long from now.
    Last edited by JMJ; 6 April 2018 at 07:03.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glocks have always run well for me. Simple design and interchangeability are winners.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you and I are about the only .40 S&W holdouts left on the planet.

I still feel that training with the .40 makes 9mm feel like a .22 control-wise. I shoot .40 pretty well, and when I move over to my 9's I shoot them really well and the transition is seamless.

It's like owning Gibsons and Fenders; I know Fender and Gibson-only guys who bitch non-stop when they touch a "Not their brand" guitar. That ain't part of what it takes to be a good, versatile player, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    The pistol I cut my teeth on is a Ruger MKII Govt stainless I received for Christmas my senior year in '98. I'd be willing to bet I put over 10K rounds through it. I absolutely love everything about it, the ergonomics are perfect for me, the weight keeps its steady enough to pull off some ridiculously long shots and the trigger is super smooth with such a short reset. Everything on it is still stock. I've shot my dad's Browning gold medalist, a few Browning buckmarks, sig mosquito, walther p22 and none come close to my MKII Govt for me.

The first combat/defensive pistol I started shooting was a Remington-Rand 1911 service pistol my Grandfather traded his brother for. I really liked that pistol and my grandfather had loaned it to me long term until he and his brother had a temporary "falling out" and he wanted it back. I still greatly miss that old warhorse. I've never bought a 1911 to replace it because every time I consider it it makes me wanna throat-punch my great-uncle for demanding that Remington-Rand back.

When I turned 21 I purchased a G23C as my first self bought handgun. I didn't have a lot of money to drop on a sig or hk usp like I had been lusting for. I really enjoyed that G23, I shot it accurately and learned to ride the trigger reset. I liked the simplicity if the Glock design, easy field stripping and not a lot of parts to it. I eventually picked up a G22 police trade in/refurb for a steal and traded into a G27 for my wife(I'm an unrepentant .40sw whore) since she shot my G23 and G22 well, but wanted something smaller for herself. I eventually did a grip-chop mod to the G22 making it the same grip dimensions as the G27 and it became my ccw for everyday carry. The G23C started becoming a coffee table drawer gun and hardly got shot or carried so I sold it and purchased a G20 10mm with the proceeds. I had been wanting a woods gun/hunting pistol in 10mm since I had read Jeff Cooper's writings on the round as a kid and figured I'd get the Glock offering to stick with what I know. Couldn't be happier with the choice, it's been a potent and fun gun so far.

I've put a few hundred rounds through friends Springfield xd 40's and S&W M&P 40's and they both left me feeling meh. Hated the trigger reset on both, and even though the ergot weren't horrible for me they didn't feel as natural in my hand as Glocks do. I've had the pleasure of shooting a friend's sig P220 and an hk usp and absolutely loved both of them, ergos felt great and I shot them well. I wouldn't mind owning both someday, but every time I think about their price tags I think I could mostly outfit a G40 MOS with suppressor height sights and a rds for a slight bit more.

I know I'll be acquiring more pistols in the future, most certainly a G40 MOS. It sig P220 (especially now that its chambered in 10mm) and hk models all perk my interest along with my curiosity in checking out what CZ has to offer. I'll also be inheriting a WWII German issue Walther PP .32 acp from my grandfather, that I've shot a fair bit. It's a fun little pistol and a cool piece of history that I look forward to having one day hopefully long from now.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still don't own anything in 9mm lol! When I've shot my buddy's G17 I noticed exactly what you're saying though. It's the same scenario when going back the the .40 from the 10mm imho.

I do plan to eventually rectify the not owning a 9mm thing. Just hasn't been high on the priority list.