Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Laser Sight for AR

I've never seen a use for a visible laser on an AR before, but now my 6 year old daughter has finally expressed an interest in hunting. I'll be starting her out in two weeks during my state's youth hunt.

For ease of use, she'll use my AR with a Trijicon MRO. I am still concerned about her shot placement, even at the 30 yard stand I'll be putting her in, so I figured I would add a laser sight onto my AR so I can know exactly where she is aiming.

I'm not looking for a duty grade laser, just something that I can verify her aiming with before she pulls the trigger. Any ideas on decent lasers that won't break the bank since this will see limited use?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Illegal to use laser aiming devices for hunting in every state I know of. Even SilencerCo provides a plug for the laser on their rangefinder for use when hunting. I know in Maryland you can't even have a device with no batteries in it on a hunting weapon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just did a search for "laser" in the pdf of the complete AR hunting code book, which yeiled zero results.

I'll be using a laser to ensure my daughter makes a good, ethical shot. Looking heavily at the Crimson Trace Rail Master.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Out of curiosity, how are you going to see the laser? Will you be hunting at dawn's early light? At 30 yards, it will be very hard to see the laser dot during any kind of normal daylight levels. May not be an issue for you if you have tree cover, but just something to be aware of that the dot "dies" fairly quickly at distance, even on "higher" power lasers (like the ATPIAL or DBAL).

I'm sure you're aware, but just in case, contrary to what Hollywood likes to show, lasers don't exude a shaft of light in the visible spectrum, only an impact point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    AR being Arkansas? It would appear to be legal, but you might want to call the Arkansas game and fish commission to be absolutely certain: https://www.agfc.com/en/about-agfc/contact-agfc/

And I agree with gatordev. In broad daylight you won't be able to see the dot much past 25 yards unless it's on a white background.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's very shaded and I expect the shots to take place either at dawn or dusk.

It may not work, but I'd like to look into it while I teach my girl about proper shot placement on game.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any chance you can "Spot" her with a second rifle for a safety in case her shot isn't fatal? Six might be old enough to hit the animal, but it may not be old enough for precise placement of that ethical shot. I'm sure you've considered this already, but an animal damaged but not injured enough to get away might put her off hunting forever.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've thought of this, but she is very scared of loud noises. I only have the one suppressor, and I would hate to take a follow up shot and scare her from the shotting sports altogether. She's still shy about doing "boy stuff" as it is.

Also, she is very small and I don't think she would be able to properly aim the AR without assistance.

For all these reasons, I've settled on a laser sight to assist me in making sure she makes a clean shot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would wait a year or so until she is more familiar with the aspects of hunting and shooting in general. During that time you can spend a lot of father daughter time at the range and having discussions about taking the life of an animal. Why rush it or force the issue, time is your friend. If your honest with yourself ask her if she would rather wait until next year. You might be surprised at what she says...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would wait too. Most boys start around 10-13. Hell, I cried when I made my first kill and felt bad about it despite all the God's bounty stories. It takes the kid being ready, more so than the parent wanting the kid to be ready. You mentioned she's not great with noise, too small to control the firearm and needs help with aiming. Not trying to tell you what to do with your own child, but I've seen my share of tragedy along these same lines.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads

Laser Sight for AR

Here’s what I did.

I bought my son a Savage Rascal 22lr. Put a bushnell red dot on it because the iron sights are too difficult yet. Laser would only duplicate a red dot with complication. I set up fun targets. Balloons. Full cans of seltzer water. Big targets with orange dots. Water jugs. Etc. Sometimes he’s more excited to go shoot than other times. I don’t force it.

I use CCI Quiet and still have him use ear pro. He gets a kick out of it. I show him pics of animals on google images and show him where the vitals inside the animal. Then I quiz him when we look at new pictures. “Where would you shoot that one?” Kids learn quickly.

I live on some land so I set up a trail for him to mimic shooting animals by hanging cans from wires on trees. He gets one shot. If he misses, the “animal ran away, let’s go find the next one.” I narrate what the animals are doing as we approach the cans quietly. He gets into it, learns to stalk, learns to carry his own rifle safely, learns to use his senses and listen to my commands. And then he replays our stories around the dinner table. And he’s becoming such a good shot that he scored his first grouse this fall. He stalked it and put it down all on his own. Age 7. Tasty bird.

The AR would be waaaaay to much for him. Maybe when he’s a teen. For now, the 22lr single shot. I carry the rounds in my pocket, handing them to him for each reload.

Your daughter won’t care about it being boy things if you excite the imagination. Culture made it a boy thing. Make a different culture in your family.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think y'all are all missing the point. I am taking my daughter hunting now. She wants to go and 6 is the minimum legal age for her to hunt. She's seeing a lot of girls her age posting pics of harvested deer in Arkansas Big Buck Classics and wants to try her own. I'm going to let her.

I'm just wondering about a good laser for an AR for the money. Crimsom Trace has a good reputation, so I ordered it. I believe I should be able to see the laser on the deer/hog at the max 35 yards and am hopeful it will aid me in helping my girl make an ethical shot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tappedandtagged View Post
    I think y'all are all missing the point. I am taking my daughter hunting now. She wants to go and 6 is the minimum legal age for her to hunt. She's seeing a lot of girls her age posting pics of harvested deer in Arkansas Big Buck Classics and wants to try her own. I'm going to let her.

I'm just wondering about a good laser for an AR for the money. Crimsom Trace has a good reputation, so I ordered it. I believe I should be able to see the laser on the deer/hog at the max 35 yards and am hopeful it will aid me in helping my girl make an ethical shot.
    I am both glad you are taking your daughter hunting, and that she wants to hunt. So, in my state, it is illegal to hunt with a laser sight (not a red dot, nor a laser ranging sight), and I thought this was common amongst all states (I cannot find anything against it on AR G&F, so I guess go for it). That being said, it could be a good spotting tool on your side to see if she's on target, especially if she uses it in conjuction with a scope or RDS of some type. I believe a green laser will be more visible against the game, brighter and possibly a visible beam.

Good hunting you two.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly I have trouble seeing my laser at 50 yards in the daylight with a DBAL. Hopefully you have better luck at dawn/dusk type hours.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't consider taking a child who wasn't 100% confident in their abilities with a firearm. A child who can not steady and fire a weapon on their own has no place hunting. It's that simple. My son started hunting last year at age 7 but he is capable of firing a SCAR 17 unassisted.