Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

10/22 Barrels---Help me pick

I have a bunch of various parts laying around for a 10/22 build. I am building a 100% Kidd Custom rifle. As of right now I have every single part and component of the build except for one: The barrel.

I am predisposed to one or two listed but if you can please take a look and tell me what you would pick and why. The only rules are it has to come from that web page. It definitely must be a threaded barrel because I will run a can on. It might not be 100% of the time, but I definitely will run a can on it.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/

I am curious to hear what your various opinions are and 'WWYD' (what would you do).

---

I would have had this thing built a long time ago but I ran into various snags. The first was some of the parts I wanted were out of stock and there was no back order date anywhere. Ultimately it took them 6-9 months to get what I wanted back in stock. Also I have spent probably another 6-9 months going to 3 or 4 countries. Since January (until rather recently) I have been on a pretty travel intensive schedule.

---

I am not a big 10/22 person but after reading online and seeing many of these parts in person and doing a comparison I decided to go with Kidd a long time ago (then the stuff started going out of stock and I got preoccupied with other stuff etc).

I might show the parts piece by piece and explain in my opinion what the major differences are between them and a regular 10/22 (as I see it) but so far I have been nothing but impressed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't recall... is there a build thread on this?

I'm starting to gather parts for my 10/22. Watching...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I can't recall... is there a build thread on this?

I might have had one from a long time ago but I can't remember. Probably so. I am the thread starter king LOL! I know I did a previous thread about my 'franken gun' which is the only thing I recall. That one was put together using a bunch of donated parts. That might be what you remember. Hell, I don't even know.

I guess we can designate this one the official 'build thread' because it's specific to the new Kidd build.

I will go over the parts bit by bit later on and you can see what makes a difference between Kidd and other people.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is something to get you started. Check out this article. Very interesting.

https://rifleshooter.com/2015/11/rug...uracy-upgrade/

By slightly altering the chamber of the barrel look at the remarkable improvement on accuracy.

Kidd barrels have all been 'trued up' like this to the right specs.

Their bolt faces also have been trued up too... They have a 1/2 inch at 50 yards guarantee on all their barrels except one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since everything on my gun will be Kidd (except the stock, optics and scope rings) I will go through the highlights of what I have discovered.

First, Ruger's quality control sucks. I got my little pincher measurement tool and I measured the dimensions inside of my donated Ruger receiver. It was NOT concentric (if that's the right word). It was thicker on one side and thinner on the other and fatter towards the back and thinner towards the front. I imagine if you shot a billion rounds through it eventually it would 'settle in' but mine was so effed up that I took a small sanding block and polished the inside of the receiver out. Certain spots I wasn't able to get to, but even now I can sometimes pull my bolt back and it will hang in place.

With Kidd, the interior and exterior dimensions of the receivers do NOT have this kind of problem. I think part of it is Ruger used sub par materials as well as bad QC. But with Kidd, the inside of the receiver is truly 'trued up'. The bolt is also trued up on the face and to the exacting specs so that there is 'zero' grit in the action. With a Kidd receiver and bolt together the tolerances are all spot on.

--

The charging handle is also different. On my donated gun Ruger's charging and recoil spring is 'captured'. You can't take it off even if you want to. With Kidd you can not only take it apart, you get 3 various springs that come with the package. One spring is a standard power, one spring is extra power, and one spring is designed specifically for suppressed shooting. All comes with the package.

Also the guide rod... on my Ruger guide rod that thing, I had to compress the spring and try and polish it as best I could. This has also been another hang point for what I have from them. The guide rod, screwed up receiver dimensions, and who knows about the bolt...but the tolerance stacking is something horrible. I made my franken gun to where it will run ok, but it ain't got nothing on a Kidd.

---

The trigger... OMFG. I went to a gun show and there was a 10/22 guy there and he had a display with a ton of triggers. Fortunately I got to try out a lot of them... everything from a stock Ruger to a Kidd and everything in between. As soon as a pulled that Kidd trigger I told the guy, 'we can stop now'. That thing is NICE. Way better than even Volquartsen in my book. Given I didn't do any scientific test, but that thing has the WOW factor.

It's adjustable too.

---

Then see the barrels and what I previously posted... the chambers and all that are where they need to be at to be right.

Another thing I didn't previously mention is that Kidd makes sure their barrel extensions are perfectly concentric to the hole on the slip fit of the receiver. The shoulders of the barrel when installed correctly, plus the precision machining all mean they mate up perfectly. This helps prevent barrel droop and stress points that will eventually wear down over time. People put special V-blocks in their guns (I did one in my franken gun) that actually presses on the barrel and keeps it level. With Kidd, no need for that. It's all machined to mate as perfectly as possible. Everything from the barrel hole on the receiver to the face of the barrel extensions on numerous surfaces all have super tight tolerances.

Anyway I think you get the idea...they are top notch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's interesting. A barrel that swages your bullet down to a new caliber. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I didn't already have a Gemtec MIST, that's the barrel I was going with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I didn't already have a Gemtec MIST, that's the barrel I was going with.
    Why? What's your thinking on it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be going with the Ultra Light myself ( http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR...rel_p_138.html ). The reports on accuracy suggests it'll more than meet my needs and keep it light enough for a field gun. If I was purely going for a bench gun, then I'd probably go with a 16.5 or 18" fluted bull barrel http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR...rel_p_162.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want to run a suppressor ...

https://www.tacticalsol.com/x-ring-s...ng-sb-x-barrel

I have one of these in their Ruger 22 Takedown version. Very accurate.

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jerry, good to hear the tacsol barrels are accurate. I’ve heard mixed reports.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also have one of their 22/45 Ruger barrels ... just as accurate. I know two barrels would not be a definitive sample, but I get lucky every now and then

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    I also have one of their 22/45 Ruger barrels ... just as accurate. I know two barrels would not be a definitive sample, but I get lucky every now and then

I am on a .22LR kick lately. I am curious as to my options for a .22 pistol. It will be primarily for suppressed shooting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK guys, I decided on a barrel.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR...rel_p_150.html

It's the Kidd Lightweight Fluted barrel. Threaded with a muzzle brake.

Name:  bar1.PNG
Views: 298
Size:  1.09 MB

Name:  bar2.PNG
Views: 274
Size:  1.11 MB

Name:  bar3.PNG
Views: 289
Size:  1.65 MB

Name:  bar4.PNG
Views: 298
Size:  1,016.9 KB