Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The barrel has a 1/2 inch guarantee on it.

The only real thing I have been concerned with is the weight and balance.

On my zombie gun the barrel is 3 pounds. It's HEAVY AF!!!

This new barrel though will shave off a lot of weight. I will go from 48oz barrel to a 30oz barrel. An 18oz weight savings I hope is good enough.

I was torn between the Ultra light weight and the light weight.

The ultra light weight is 20oz. The one I got is 30oz.

From what I read online if the barrel is TOO light it can cause accuracy issues. Admittedly it would be better handling but the one I got was sort of in the middle. Not really a bench barrel but still lighter than what I have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am extremely interested in the barrel that Stone posted. I couldn't find ANY reviews or other information online about it.

It's possible that I could buy one for future use, but for right now that's a total unknown. I couldn't even find a Youtube video on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Call V7 and ask for Joel, good dude. He will tell you all about it.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I will try to give him a call tomorrow but my thinking is if they want to sell barrels they need a bit more info that is easily accessible. The 10/22 market is pretty damn big. At least give a barrel to one or two people and let them make a video or something.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Why? What's your thinking on it?
    V Seven is known for their quality barrels and accuracy.

I will try to give him a call tomorrow but my thinking is if they want to sell barrels they need a bit more info that is easily accessible. The 10/22 market is pretty damn big. At least give a barrel to one or two people and let them make a video or something.
    I bet Joel would guarantee his barrel. If you're not happy with your results, he'll take it back. Those long timers at Noveske know a thing or two about barrels.

On a side note, I thought about building a 10/22 from scratch around my GemTech MIST. I then realized that an action is going to cost $350-400, Trigger, at least $100+

That's $600 not including the MIST I already have and a Magpul Chassis for a 10/22. Not that I obviously haven't over built an AR before with expensive parts. I think this time however, for a 10/22 I'm just going to buy a standard $250 10/22 and a Magpul Chassis and call it a day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

I bet Joel would guarantee his barrel. If you're not happy with your results, he'll take it back. Those long timers at Noveske know a thing or two about barrels.

On a side note, I thought about building a 10/22 from scratch around my GemTech MIST. I then realized that an action is going to cost $350-400, Trigger, at least $100+

That's $600 not including the MIST I already have and a Magpul Chassis for a 10/22. Not that I obviously haven't over built an AR before with expensive parts. I think this time however, for a 10/22 I'm just going to buy a standard $250 10/22 and a Magpul Chassis and call it a day.
    I will have a standard 10/22 trigger if you want it. Reasonable price :) Same with some of the other sundry parts (like the bolt) etc.

Once I get my new gun put together I will not need those other parts anymore.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually did call them today and I do have to say that Joel was probably one of the most knowledgeable and pleasant people I have ran across in a really long time. I seriously wouldn't mind hanging out or working with somebody like him. He was just an extremely pleasant person. I encouraged him to register here and post here on WEVO.

He talked to me for quite some time about that 10/22 barrel. It's a very interesting concept. He was very forth coming about the barrel and business and many other things. I probably could have talked to him for 2 hours. Just a great guy and extremely knowledgeable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update:

After a forever long wait and procrastination today is the day. I finally got all my parts in and I put together my new rifle. (Sorry, no pics yet but I will try to get some up soon).

--

I shot 40 rounds through it before it got dark, but MAN! that thing is just awesome. I will do a much more comprehensive write up with pics later on probably. I am going out of town in the morning so it might have to be on hold but at least the gun is together. I will also test a lot more ammo. With bulk packed cheap federal ammo on a steel plate it was really good.

--

I was initially concerned with the barrel weight. On my franken gun that I had previous to this the barrel was a 3 pound bull barrel. It was way too heavy and the gun was really nose heavy. The barrel I got weights 1lb 14oz and the balance is superb. I can shoulder it with a really natural point. It's just freakin awesome. A pound off the barrel makes a big difference.

The lesson is for anyone building a 10/22 is to keep your barrel under 2 pounds and you will be good. This new gun even with a full size configuration Revolution 9 on the end (11.2 oz) it still isn't too bad at all. In the K configuration it's only 9.7oz but that's including the booster assembly. If you configure it for .22 in the K configuration it's even less than that (no booster, just an aluminum end cap). My best guess would be around 8.5 oz thereabout. (BTW that's the standard weight of the optimus micro)

I would say in the K configuration (or any other can that is between 8 and 9 oz or less) you wouldn't even notice it on the end of the rifle with a sub 2 pound barrel.

If you keep the barrel and suppressor combo on a rifle around 38 oz total you are in the sweet spot. (This is for a 16 inch barrel) Anything over that and you will start to notice it a little.

The Gemtech Mist for example is 1lb 5oz (21 oz) total so that would be like nothing out there. Kidd's ultra light barrel is 1lb 4oz (20oz) so that is definitely good to go as well for having a gun that you can handle from the shoulder no problems.

--

In the end I am pretty pleased with the choice I made. From what I read if your barrel is TOO light it can lead to accuracy issues. Also the way that those traditional ultra light barrels are constructed is not as rugged. I have one that's kind of in the middle. I can realistically do bipod or 'bench' shooting but also still have something that I can shoulder without a problem.

Also on a side note that barrel from VSeven in the fluted version is 1lb 7oz. That barrel as it sits (and making them out of that material) has some insane potential. I think if the VSeven people play their cards right they can break into the 10/22 world and make a lot of waves.

--

On my gun I have to say this... that trigger is F***** AWESOME!!! OMG! It's just a thing of beauty. It's probably one of the best triggers I have ever used for almost anything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

I bet Joel would guarantee his barrel. If you're not happy with your results, he'll take it back.
    I was fortunate to talk to Joel the other day for a good half an hour. I was really impressed by him. He knows his stuff be he's also a genuinely great person. I could tell he's just a class act.

He talked to me quite a bit about the accuracy of the barrel they have. He said more or less it depends on ammo but they were getting some quarter inch groups at 50 yards with certain ammo. He also said with that specific barrel they have proven that it has a lot better accuracy at longer ranges. There is a lot better ballistic coefficient and a lot better performance. Better groups, better penetration, better all around at ranges beyond 50 yards.

According to him not that the gun would be ammo picky, but with certain types of ammo you get stellar results at 50 yards and beyond.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, he knows his shit. I emailed them about an issue I had with their port door and he personally called me about it. After about 45 minutes on the phone we had talked about everything from port doors to politics.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    More details:

Since I highly likely to get the Optimus Micro for a dedicated .22 can here is some more info.

The Micro in the 3 lug set up weighs 10 oz. I don't know how much the 3 lug itself weighs but based on my math doing a 3 lug set up at least on a rifle would be of negligible weight difference. That in my opinion (depending on the barrel weight) a non issue. With my current gun weights you MIGHT feel it out there but I think it would be so small you wouldn't even notice.

On a pistol on the other hand a 10 oz 3 lug suppressor I have a suspicion that it would make the pistol a bit nose heavy. I haven't handled many .22LR pistols but from my recollection many are pretty light. 10 oz plus a 3 lug on a really light pistol could be noticeable.

Just as a point of reference, that Optimus Micro with the 3 lug weighs almost as much as my full size Revolution 9 and the Micro is 2" shorter. I think 3 lug on a rifle would be fine. On a pistol is TBD depending on the pistol.

That Micro sounds like its pretty beefy. That said in it's standard out of the box configuration it's about the same weight as my Revolution 9 in the K configuration and set up for .22LR (IE no booster). I don't think in that configuration it would be too bad, but how that would balance on a pistol I don't know.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 9 November 2017 at 20:13.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, he knows his shit. I emailed them about an issue I had with their port door and he personally called me about it. After about 45 minutes on the phone we had talked about everything from port doors to politics.
    Seriously, thank you for that recommendation. He's the kind of guy you can talk to on the phone and he comes across like he's your best friend. Really a genuine guy. If I was anywhere near there I wouldn't mind meeting him (and a few other people too)... but yes, he really impressed me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Been out testing ammo to see what my gun likes. This was the best group of the day. 5 shots @ 50 yards. I guess that's pretty good for a 10/22.

I still have more ammo to test. I might be able to best that.

Name:  20180131_181353.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  1.38 MB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Been out testing ammo to see what my gun likes. This was the best group of the day. 5 shots @ 50 yards. I guess that's pretty good for a 10/22.

I used a program on my computer to zoom in and put a grid on the picture. Measuring outer edge to outer edge, then subtracting the bullet diameter I wound up with a .25 inch center to center group at 50 yards with a 10/22 using that ammo.

I had several groups today that matched or at least rivaled that. I still have a few more ammo types and brands that I want to try but so far that's pretty good.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 31 January 2018 at 22:30.

Downloads
    Uploads

That’s better than my Savage MK II