Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Superlative Adj. Gas Block

Has anyone used one of these? Sold by Faxon and a few other retailers. It's adjustable, but in a different way. Gas is restricted, but excess gas vents out the front of the block. Also negates corroding the metering screw, by not blowing all of that excess gas and carbon back into it.

I was going to buy a Syrac, but it appears their out of business now, and the retailers that have some, didn't have one in .625". This will be used with my "light weight" project which will use a skeletonized BCG. I was going to try to adjust any over gassed problems with spring rates and buffers, but after being beat with an ugly stick by several folks to drive some common sense into me.

I began to see the error of my ways and ordered the block which will be mounted to a Faxon 16 "pencil" barrel.

It will be a little while, due to some logistical problems, before assembly, so I thought some of you folks might have some input on it. It's bought and paid for, so I pray I don't hear any "horror" stories" Not much in the way of reviews on the 'net so I thought I'd troll the forum for some info.

As always, thanks ahead,

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 3 November 2017 at 22:18.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry to say but I have had a poor experience with one. Broke on the first trip to the range. No customer service, they wouldn't respond or replace it.

The vented settings also did not work.

SLR is the only adjustable gas block I'll use.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    SLR is the only adjustable gas block I'll use.
    You should buy MicroMOA's IP, yo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Slippers beat me too it. I’ve not had a break but the bleed-off just doesn’t work for me. You can close the port but with less refined adjustments compared to the SLR. BTW, Superlative made the Syrac.

I’m moving away from adj unless I plan to suppress a rifle often. I also won’t buy a low mass BCG again. That’s probably the place to have the most sense beat into you. Hahaha

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Has anyone used one of these? Sold by Faxon and a few other retailers. It's adjustable, but in a different way. Gas is restricted, but excess gas vents out the front of the block. Also negates corroding the metering screw, by not blowing all of that excess gas and carbon back into it.

Another vote for the SLR Sentry series from me. I've never heard a good explanation of why you'd want to "bleed off" gas. Gas that isn't needed to cycle the action should be put to use to propel the bullet. That's kind of the whole point of creating the gas in the first place.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Another vote for the SLR Sentry series from me. I've never heard a good explanation of why you'd want to "bleed off" gas. Gas that isn't needed to cycle the action should be put to use to propel the bullet. That's kind of the whole point of creating the gas in the first place.
    My understanding is this. The AR's were designed to let X amount of gas bleed out of the barrel, down the gas tube and to cycle the bolt. You mess with the system too much, such as using a lightened bolt, and X equals too much, "over gassed", and bad things start to happen. So, you adjust the amount of gas that passes through the block and tune it until everything works just right. Not a whole lot difference than adjusting the gas for a suppressed weapon. Different issues, but adjusting gas for same reason. With a can, you get away from the specs that the weapon was designed for. Over simplified, but I think I'm pretty close.

Correct me if I'm wrong...just don't beat sense into me with a stick...

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless you have an overgassed barrel and/or shooting suppressed, I would just stick with a non-adjustable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Unless you have an overgassed barrel and/or shooting suppressed, I would just stick with a non-adjustable.
    That was my initial plan. However, when I've called vendors for their opinion, if I'm going to use a "skeletonized" BCG, they have all recommended an adj. block.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    My understanding is this. The AR's were designed to let X amount of gas bleed out of the barrel, down the gas tube and to cycle the bolt. You mess with the system too much, such as using a lightened bolt, and X equals too much, "over gassed", and bad things start to happen. So, you adjust the amount of gas that passes through the block and tune it until everything works just right. Not a whole lot difference than adjusting the gas for a suppressed weapon. Different issues, but adjusting gas for same reason. With a can, you get away from the specs that the weapon was designed for. Over simplified, but I think I'm pretty close.

Correct me if I'm wrong...just don't beat sense into me with a stick...

FT
    FT, you're right but I think you missed my point. I totally get AGBs and have them on most my ARs anymore. My point was that the SA system creates a 3rd gas path. To be clear, the first gas path is down the barrel pushing the bullet, the second is down the gas tube to cycle the bolt, and SA appears to add a third path out through the bleed off whereas traditional AGBs simply restrict the second path. I'm of the opinion that if you have excess gas cycling the action, use an AGB to restrict that path and keep the gas for its original intended purpose to push the bullet.

Note that if you are just a touch overgassed you can slow the action down a bit by adding to the reciprocating mass (either the Bolt Carrier or buffer). For example, if you are overgassed and running a semi-auto bolt carrier and standard carbine buffer, you can simply add a full auto carrier and / or heavy buffer. If you have to add more than ounce and / or feel the need for a heavier spring its worth considering an AGB. Conversely, if you go the other way and start taking weight out of the system (e.g., lightweight BCG) you'll almost certainly want an AGB. I have two rifles with lightweight BCGs (one 5.56 and one .308) and both run AGBs and are great shooters.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's exactly what I'm doing, BU. This whole build has been about weight (light) from it's inception. Lots of 2A and V7 parts. Super light barrel, handguard, upper receiver, buffer tube, BCG, controls, etc.

So "lightweight" has been the main objective, assuming everything works alright, and that's how I'm hoping it ends up that way. Just have to hold my breath and wait and see. Meanwhile I'm going to knock down this six pack and contemplate some more.......burp...er.. excuse me.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve also had good luck with the SLR.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't compare because I've never used anything else but +1 on SLR. Flawless in multiple years of use. Probably carbon welded by now but I don't want to adjust either of them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's exactly what I'm doing, BU. This whole build has been about weight (light) from it's inception. Lots of 2A and V7 parts. Super light barrel, handguard, upper receiver, buffer tube, BCG, controls, etc.

So "lightweight" has been the main objective, assuming everything works alright, and that's how I'm hoping it ends up that way. Just have to hold my breath and wait and see. Meanwhile I'm going to knock down this six pack and contemplate some more.......burp...er.. excuse me.

FT
    You just missed a sale at SLR but this is pretty good: https://www.righttobear.com/SLR-Rifl...B-p/sa7-sm.htm

My LW build has a Voodoo pencil barrel, Voodoo LW BCG, and a 2A handguard and some miscellaneous other V7 parts. The SLR Sentry let me tune it nicely and it's a lot of fun to shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    BU, with the exception of the MFT stock, we're pretty much on the same page, with this build.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    BU, with the exception of the MFT stock, we're pretty much on the same page, with this build.

FT
    Heh, I really hate MFT stuff. Airsoft worthy.

Other than the minimalist, I can't think of one quality product they make.