Downloads
    Uploads

Suppressor Question (.22LR)

On my .22 kick still

Here is my question. With my Griffin Revolution 9 when put on a 9mm pistol sometimes there can be significant POI shift. It's really easy to correct. You just pull the suppressor out (compressing the booster spring) and rotate the can until your POI is minimal.

I assume the cause of this is that the baffles can rotate within the can (particularly when you reassemble the can after cleaning). The stack itself is notched and keyed so really the only way to assemble it is to line up the notches. That said the entire stack can be oriented differently inside the can (the notches can be on the top, bottom, left, right etc).

Again with 9mm the fix is merely just a few rounds at best.

Now, on a .22LR can (will be my next can) the vast majority are all baffle stack cans just like my Revolution 9.

For those of you that have baffle stack .22 cans, do you notice significant POI shift on either rifles or pistols?

At the end of the day the baffles are not fixed and most .22LR cans are all direct thread. If the same general principle applies from above it seems like there would be POI shift, only with a .22LR can there is no booster.

Thoughts? Experience?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought Griffin cans had the RTZ baffles?

Anyhow, what you describe with compressing the spring, pulling the can forward, etc is called “indexing” your suppressor. Most cans do this (fixed barrel cans, no) and due to the asymmetry of the baffles, it allows you to dial your POI to your POA. On my 9mm can, I know mine indexes with the engraving at 12 o’clock. So it’s easy to get it back in the same place every time.

I think anything variation with a fixed barrel can varies from can to can, host to host. If you’re talking 5” and 4 ounces of suppressor, you probably won’t see much shift...but your DOPE can be established pretty easily

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I thought Griffin cans had the RTZ baffles?

Anyhow, what you describe with compressing the spring, pulling the can forward, etc is called “indexing” your suppressor. Most cans do this (fixed barrel cans, no) and due to the asymmetry of the baffles, it allows you to dial your POI to your POA. On my 9mm can, I know mine indexes with the engraving at 12 o’clock. So it’s easy to get it back in the same place every time.

I think anything variation with a fixed barrel can varies from can to can, host to host. If you’re talking 5” and 4 ounces of suppressor, you probably won’t see much shift...but your DOPE can be established pretty easily
    Thanks for the correct terminology by the way. I know what it is but I forgot the correct wording.

As for the RTZ it's highly possible that I have proven myself a complete dumbass once again. I took the can apart and I am cleaning it now. It seems like you are correct. After I get done tumbling the baffles I will reassemble everything and make sure. I have been running the can in the K configuration for a while now and that much I know for sure, that blast shield definitely indexes with the baffles. On the other end of that how that indexes into the can I will have to take a closer inspection. It is definitely not beyond the realm of possibility that I have been doing it all wrong.

That said since it is a thing (POI shift) where you have to re-index the can I am just wondering of that's even a thing at all on rimfire.