Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pretty sure I'm building an AR-10. Looking for some advice.

Hello all,

For some odd reason I find myself wanting to put together my first AR-10. So I'm looking for some advice and or comments on my potential build.

What I'm thinking thus far:

- American Defense UIC-10A builders set including a 15" M-LOK Handguard (DPMS SR-25 PLATFORM)
    - 16" barrel
    - UBR Gen 2 stock
    - Toolcraft Nitride BCG
    - Raptor CH
    - Talon safety
    - Dead Air Armament key-mo brake
    - suppressed with my Silencerco Omega

I think that covers the main items. So my question to you is.... What barrel should I use in my build? Should I be using a SLR adjustable gas block? What length gas system?

Initially I was leaning towards a Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel that includes the pinned gas block.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by titanse05; 22 November 2017 at 11:17.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn’t use an adj gas block until you find its over-gassed. If it’s not, you’re wasting money.

I don’t see a downside to getting the BA Hanson.

The dead air brake is loud like all brakes, which means unpleasant to shoot unsuppressed. Why not thread directly with the Omega and save some more coin?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why do you think you should or shouldn’t use an adjustable gas block?
    I’d say add an EMR-C from Forward Controls. It’s the mag catch button, but it’s taller than mil spec.
    I really like BA barrels. I have their 18” Premium on my 308.
    So what’s your plan for the 308?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I wouldn’t use an adj gas block until you find its over-gassed. If it’s not, you’re wasting money.

I don’t see a downside to getting the BA Hanson.

The dead air brake is loud like all brakes, which means unpleasant to shoot unsuppressed. Why not thread directly with the Omega and save some more coin?
    The Omega I have is currently direct threaded to a 300 blk SBR and I want to be able to easily swap the can to whatever I'm shooting that day. The key-mo system appears to be a better mounting system to me and after selling off the ASR stuff it shouldn't be much of an upgrade cost.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Why do you think you should or shouldn’t use an adjustable gas block?
    I’d say add an EMR-C from Forward Controls. It’s the mag catch button, but it’s taller than mil spec.
    I really like BA barrels. I have their 18” Premium on my 308.
    So what’s your plan for the 308?
    I don't really have a plan per-se. I just don't have one and should right? Mostly this rifle will be on a 100-200 yard range but hope to find places to stretch that out a bit.
    Last edited by titanse05; 22 November 2017 at 05:32.

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inc...um-barrel.html

What say the hive about this barrel? This would be my third Hanson barrel.....just can't beat the quality and price after discounts and it includes the pinned gas block.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    I don't really have a plan per-se. I just don't have one and should right? Mostly this rifle will be on a 100-200 yard range but hope to find places to stretch that out a bit.
    My question was just another way of asking “Why a 16 inch barrel?” For me I wanted to find a balance between good ballistics and good physical handling of the weapon so I chose 18” I also went rifle length because there was more data pointing to that config being more reliable.

Although the first time I shot it I thought, man I gotta build me an SBR in 7.62x51!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of those 16” barrels on their website, I’d go with that one. I have several of their barrels and not once have I been disappointed in accuracy and quality of finish.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Given that you want to shoot suppressed, plus the fact that 308 ARs tend to be a bit more finicky to get running well, I highly recommend just starting off with an SLR Sentry adjustable gas block. It will almost certainly save you some time and frustration. (and SLR is having a black Friday sale right now)

I'd also suggest an 18" barrel with rifle length gas. I think 18-20" barrels are the sweet spot for .308. For barrels, BA would be a good choice, especially given all the sales right now, but I also suggest you take a look at AR15 performance. Many happy customers reporting excellent accuracy. I see a lot of happy customers of BA, too, but I don't see a whole lot of bragging online about the accuracy.

What receiver / builder's set are you eyeing? The Aero Precision sets are cheap at Schulyer Arms right now, but their fat "enhanced" handguards aren't for everyone. And the thing is going to be heavy enough without the UBR, so I suggest you ponder how much weight you are willing to accept. Once you throw an optic on that you're almost certainly going to be over 9 pounds w/o ammo. I personally don't have much use for a 9+ pound "carbine".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Given that you want to shoot suppressed, plus the fact that 308 ARs tend to be a bit more finicky to get running well, I highly recommend just starting off with an SLR Sentry adjustable gas block. It will almost certainly save you some time and frustration. (and SLR is having a black Friday sale right now)

I'd also suggest an 18" barrel with rifle length gas. I think 18-20" barrels are the sweet spot for .308. For barrels, BA would be a good choice, especially given all the sales right now, but I also suggest you take a look at AR15 performance. Many happy customers reporting excellent accuracy. I see a lot of happy customers of BA, too, but I don't see a whole lot of bragging online about the accuracy.

What receiver / builder's set are you eyeing? The Aero Precision sets are cheap at Schulyer Arms right now, but their fat "enhanced" handguards aren't for everyone. And the thing is going to be heavy enough without the UBR, so I suggest you ponder how much weight you are willing to accept. Once you throw an optic on that you're almost certainly going to be over 9 pounds w/o ammo. I personally don't have much use for a 9+ pound "carbine".
    If I were to do the adjustable block the SLR is the only option IMHO. Going back and forth between on this part of the build.

I'm going with an American Defense UIC-10A Combo with a 15" handguard. I prefer a full length rail on my ARs and the 15" handguard puts me at a 16" barrel. At the distances I'll be shooting at typically I don't think I'll see a difference between the 16 and 18. Plus I like the continuous look with the handguard and suppressor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check out the SLR handguards, too. You can get some long ones if you want a longer barrel http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...product_id=893

SLR's mounting system is fantastic, IMO

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't think Radian is doing BCG'S in 7.62 yet...

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Don't think Radian is doing BCG'S in 7.62 yet...

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
    Fixed the OP. Meant Raptor CH.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think 18-20" barrels are the sweet spot for .308.
    Per a previous conversation with the Griffin guys here on the forum (at least for their cans) they said 18" is basically 'optimal' for efficiency of suppressors.

That's a +1 for the 18" from me in that regard.

Ballistically speaking though you can get a whole lot out of a .308 with various barrel lengths.

Up to 800 yards it won't matter what barrel length is used. If the general use is inside 800 yards the environmental factors (temperature, humidity, altitude, etc) will make a lot more difference than barrel length ever will. In other words you can knock em out all day long with 16" barrel at 800 yards all day long pretty much in any conditions.

Once you go past that mark though that extra 2 inches of barrel can make a difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    SLR's mounting system is fantastic, IMO
    +2 on that.

SLR is awesome. I love their no muss no fuss barrel nuts. No special tools, no timing, none of that, and they make superior products.

Given that I don't have the dough to try out more brands which I am sure to like too, but SLR is proven in my book.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree that 18" would be the best for those distances but I will never have the opportunity to shoot at those distances. For me 16" will be more than enough barrel.

The ADM handguard mounts in a similar fashion as the SLRs and numerous others. The combo all matches and I won't be breaking it up.