Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FYI: The reason I say “no” to the gas block yet is that I have a BA 14” 308 barrel and the Gas block is wide open and still not cycling unsuppressed. It cycles beautifully suppressed. Gotta play with the buffer and spring more. So that adj block is useless at this point. However, since I pinned my muzzle device, i didn’t want the opposite problem to show up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    FYI: The reason I say “no” to the gas block yet is that I have a BA 14” 308 barrel and the Gas block is wide open and still not cycling unsuppressed. It cycles beautifully suppressed. Gotta play with the buffer and spring more. So that adj block is useless at this point. However, since I pinned my muzzle device, i didn’t want the opposite problem to show up.
    Yeah for what the gas block costs with a BA barrel I'll just start with that and see what I got once I get it assembled.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Given that you want to shoot suppressed, plus the fact that 308 ARs tend to be a bit more finicky to get running well, I highly recommend just starting off with an SLR Sentry adjustable gas block. It will almost certainly save you some time and frustration. (and SLR is having a black Friday sale right now)

I'd also suggest an 18" barrel with rifle length gas. I think 18-20" barrels are the sweet spot for .308. For barrels, BA would be a good choice, especially given all the sales right now, but I also suggest you take a look at AR15 performance. Many happy customers reporting excellent accuracy. I see a lot of happy customers of BA, too, but I don't see a whole lot of bragging online about the accuracy.

What receiver / builder's set are you eyeing? The Aero Precision sets are cheap at Schulyer Arms right now, but their fat "enhanced" handguards aren't for everyone. And the thing is going to be heavy enough without the UBR, so I suggest you ponder how much weight you are willing to accept. Once you throw an optic on that you're almost certainly going to be over 9 pounds w/o ammo. I personally don't have much use for a 9+ pound "carbine".
    I don’t know about bragging but my BA barrels are all sub MOA, my .308 (18” Performance rifle gas) is very accurate. Consistent .40’s at 100, .71-.77 at 250. I can see your point, sorta but I wouldn’t only gauge a parts performance based on who’s bragging the loudest. There may be some connection to the type of user... I don’t know. I don’t brag because maybe to someone else those numbers are just average.
    I wholeheartedly agree on the 18-20. That’s not just a sweet spot for accuracy but for function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree sometimes 308's can be finicky and need a little tuning, but I'd still stick with a standard pinned gas block. If you find that you later need an adjustable, you can always swap it out.

Looks like a good first 308 list of parts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    If I were to do the adjustable block the SLR is the only option IMHO. Going back and forth between on this part of the build.

I'm going with an American Defense UIC-10A Combo with a 15" handguard. I prefer a full length rail on my ARs and the 15" handguard puts me at a 16" barrel. At the distances I'll be shooting at typically I don't think I'll see a difference between the 16 and 18. Plus I like the continuous look with the handguard and suppressor.
    Not to speak for Boiler but his comment and my earlier comment about barrel recommendations (length and gas system) wasn’t only about what will give you better accuracy at range, but even more so about what works. I did my due diligence before my build and my takeaway was that the 18” barrel with rifle gas was one of the keys to consistent reliability. “Out of box functionality” so to speak. - it really just works. You don’t have to manipulate with a gas block to get a rifle to work like it should with a standard. GB. Your research may have come up with a different conclusion, but mine made it clear that <18” with mid gas was more of a PITA than it was a reliable solution. I’ve not had a single FTF/FTE out of my DMR. I believe with 110% certainly that is because I used what many others before me had fleshed out. Either way I hope whatever you decide on works.

I have an SLR hand guard on mine, initially I had a 16” Hand guard, but I had to send that back because it looked like my rail was half a mile long. I got tired just looking at he end of it. But with the 15” in my opinion anyway, looks good. But the fact I haven’t had a single failure to fire in spite of slamming ALL kinds of ammo down range - trumps everything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I agree sometimes 308's can be finicky and need a little tuning, but I'd still stick with a standard pinned gas block. If you find that you later need an adjustable, you can always swap it out.

Looks like a good first 308 list of parts.
    Sometimes it seems that guys want to use an adj. GB to address deeper issues with their rifle. Sort of a “hey, an adjustable gas block will fix that problem ya know...”
    I just don’t know if the part was designed to fix all the things they end up being used to fix. Maybe they were. I’ve got two but I’ve kind of come full circle back to using regular gas blocks and trying to diagnose and correct any cycling issues with internal changes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I own like 2 adjustables. I just don't think they're needed as much as people think they need them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    16” 308 is on my short list..

Like you want a decent shooter but not being over heavy..I’m after a shooter/hunting rig kinda deal.

Shooting factory or hand loads..GB wise an adj might be wanted for tuning in different loads with a suppressor..I don’t own anything similar, just spitballing though..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I picked up a good bit of the parts for this build this week taking advantage of BlackFriday week deals.

- ADM 308 builders set with 15" handguard (20% off from ADM)
    - Magpul UBR Gen2, MOE+ GRIP, QD socket (33% off at Rainier Arms)
    - Magpul PMAGS AR10 (25% off from Rainier Arms)
    - Dead Air Armament Key-mo Omega mount, (2) 7.62 Brakes (35% off at Modern Threat Response)
    - Radian Raptor AR10 (20% off at OpticsPlanet)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    Well I picked up a good bit of the parts for this build this week taking advantage of BlackFriday week deals.

- ADM 308 builders set with 15" handguard (20% off from ADM)
    - Magpul UBR Gen2, MOE+ GRIP, QD socket (33% off at Rainier Arms)
    - Magpul PMAGS AR10 (25% off from Rainier Arms)
    - Dead Air Armament Key-mo Omega mount, (2) 7.62 Brakes (35% off at Modern Threat Response)
    - Radian Raptor AR10 (20% off at OpticsPlanet)
    Gotta like 20% off a receiver set. Can you lock the bolt back from the right side with the ADM set? Radian and Aero Precision/PDQ are the only ones I know of so far that allow for that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Gotta like 20% off a receiver set. Can you lock the bolt back from the right side with the ADM set? Radian and Aero Precision/PDQ are the only ones I know of so far that allow for that.
    Indeed the ADM does have the ability to lock the bolt back using the right side bolt release. I actually prefer the ADM UIC's functionality over my AXTS AX556. To lock back the bolt you push the lever up and to release you push it down. I find that pushing in the right side bolt release on the AX556 and similar to be difficult to depress with the trigger finger.
    Last edited by titanse05; 25 November 2017 at 19:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First parts package arrived today.

Last edited by titanse05; 5 December 2017 at 07:05.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just bought the barrel/block and gas tube for this build. Couldn't pass up the deal at Ballistic Advantage. Got the barrel/block, tube, VG6 Gamma Brake all for 25% off and got one of their upper recievers for free. I'll sell the brake and upper reciever to bring the cost down even further.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What buffer does everyone recommend I start off with? It should be noted I'm running a UBR 2 on this build. I'm thinking of picking up an H3 as it seems that it will work compared to other builds. I have H1 and H2 buffers in other builds to swap to if experimentation is needed.

The only parts I didn't buy last week since I didn't find a deep enough discount was the BCG, Trigger and the buffer.
    Last edited by titanse05; 29 November 2017 at 13:11.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Start with carbine or H1. If you need an H3 then get an AGB and stick with carbine.