Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Successfully test fired today. Only 20rds but no malfunctions.

Any suggestions for optics?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post

Congrats on a successful build! Were you surprised at how smooth it shot? I was with mine.

It’s a very classy looking build - with your receiver set you chose and all. I also like your hand guard.
    I’ve decided I’m going to do another 308 build, with a shorter barrel and a Centurion 308 rail. That’s about as far as I’ve gotten, although in looking at that lower and upper.... I may have that question answered.

Looking forward to seeing your groupings.

Job well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post

glad it worked out.

What's your budget for glass? I know you said 300 yards and in, but are you shooting for groups just ringing steel? You'll have 12-15" of drop at 300 yards, so do you prefer to dial or hold over?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    glad it worked out.

What's your budget for glass? I know you said 300 yards and in, but are you shooting for groups just ringing steel? You'll have 12-15" of drop at 300 yards, so do you prefer to dial or hold over?
    I am a total newb as far as shooting at further distances goes so no matter what I choose it will be a learning experience.

I already have a 30mm Bobro extended mount that I would like to use on this so that narrows it down a little. I'd say my budget is $1000 ish which I would think should be more than enough to serve my purpose.

But really, I'm open to anything at this point.

Would a 1-8x be enough glass or should I go with more?
    Last edited by titanse05; 5 February 2018 at 06:26.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am also trying to decide on a scope for my .308. W/16” barrel. Probably 95% of the time the same max distance as you. Good groups at 200 is my sweet spot. So here a a couple I think worth a look.

My limited experience so far in higher magnified optics at just 100 yds has led me to prefer Trijicons. I have a Vortex 2-10x32 which is nice but not as clear glass as the Triji. I had a 2-12 VX6 Leupold, which had great clarity, but I hated their push button control. My budget is about the same as yours.

My ,308 is already heavier than an AR15 so weight is somewhat important to me. I have a 3-9 Trijicon Accupoint - light with great glass, but has a 1” tube. They are the least expensive I am looking at. Green or red illuminated reticles are my preference. Amber was harder for me to pick up. With a Bobro mount is sub $800. Considering another of this one: https://shop.opticsplanet.com/trijic...iABEgKqtfD_BwE

The 2.5-12.5 Accupoint is the other leading contender so far. Same great glass and no battery, but heavier and more $$. https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijico...-TR26RS-200104

I’ve ruled out the Accupower line. My 1-4 is okay but for reasons I can’t quantify the 1-4 Accupoint just feels better to sight through.

Lots of other great options out there. These are just my preferences.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    For 300 yards a 1-6 is more than enough to ring steel.

My all-time favorite scopes on 308 gas guns for 300-600 yards are the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 models (24, 32, or 42mm objective lens). They're light, relatively small, and are very durable. You can find used ones for around $1000 or less if you're not in a hurry. I would personally want even more magnification for shooting groups, though.

Also, keep in mind I'm an optic snob.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    That used $1K NF NXS 2.5-10 has long been my dream buy. Could have bought a new one with the money I wasted on similar sized inferiors.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd probably want at least 6x for 300 yards and that will let you shoot reasonably well for groups at 100. The Vortex Razor 1-6x24 seems to be a good choice in that category and you don't seem too concerned about weight. Really no need for more than 10x at that range, so a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 might be a good choice, too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I'd probably want at least 6x for 300 yards and that will let you shoot reasonably well for groups at 100. The Vortex Razor 1-6x24 seems to be a good choice in that category and you don't seem too concerned about weight. Really no need for more than 10x at that range, so a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 might be a good choice, too.
    Could also consider the Razor Gen II-E 1-6 which is a quarter pound lighter... still on the heavy side. Or like what's been mentioned a used NF 2.5-10x32. Bought both of mine used for sub 1k each.