Downloads
    Uploads

Let's talk lever guns...

Warning, any purchase movement will be strictly emotional and not coming from a "need."

So I've long been enamored by lever guns and each time I start to get interested in them, I find valid reasons why I don't need to spend money on them (and their added ammo expense). That said, I've been watching some videos on the 'tube and I have to admit, I'm having a hard time shaking the itch this time.

Big picture, should I buy one, I think I've settled on a .357 Mag gun with: a) 16-18" barrel, b) option to add scope down the line (because getting old sucks), and c) side loader and not a tube magazine (like the Henry rifles, which would otherwise fill my needs). After some intense lunch break research, it seems it comes down to an older Marlin (JM-stamped) gun. There are options on Gunbroker, and apparently prices have come down (which might make it a reason to grab one now), but beyond that, anything I'm missing? If you're going to tell me "Rossi 92!!!!...." that's great, but expound on the info.

If you're going to tell me, "but why a lever gun?" Well, I don't have a good reason other than that emotional attachment I mentioned at the beginning of the post. Or be swayed to some other shiny object.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Years ago I had a model 94, fun gun and always went boom. It’s long gone- destroyed in a flood.

Been thinking about another ever since, also in the 357/38 variety and to have a wheel gun in the same..

As far as ammo, it’s not too bad for new 38 ammo but 357 adds some $$ to it, reloading would be ideal here and make it a cheap gun to shoot.

I fondled a Rossi a while back , decent guns but leave some to be desired, finish, not a real smooth action..I’m just rambling..The marlin guns are good shooters

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking hard at the color case hardened Henry, or Marlin in thutty-thutty.

It's going to be a .30-30, whatever the brand. That to me is the proper lever gun caliber, despite history.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will say the JM proof Marlins are sweet shooting little guns. They are definitely more desirable than the current models that you can find.

I have one that belonged to my Grandfather that he carried as his patrol rifle in the 60s-80s with the Texas State Troopers. It is an absolute blast to shoot in .357 and .38.

If you can find one, I say snatch it up. I’ve considered finding another one in .44magnum

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne_EWO View Post
    I will say the JM proof Marlins are sweet shooting little guns. They are definitely more desirable than the current models that you can find.

I have one that belonged to my Grandfather that he carried as his patrol rifle in the 60s-80s with the Texas State Troopers. It is an absolute blast to shoot in .357 and .38.

If you can find one, I say snatch it up. I’ve considered finding another one in .44magnum
    That's pretty cool to have a piece of family history like that.

I'd like to get a lever gun someday, too. Maybe one like this:

Name:  Wanted+Dead+or+Alive47.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  45.9 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Apples to oranges, but I have a Henry .45-70. I absolutely love it. I want a .357/.44 Mag one some day as well. And a Golden Boy possibly. I've become a Henry fan since I bought mine. Haha. My first lever rifle was a Model 94, way back when. I bought it, didn't even put a box of ammo through it before I had to sell it to pay for my wisdom teeth after insurance lied to me. HATED IT! Had to sell that and my SA 1911 Mil-spec. Sucked. I think that was 2011 maybe. 2010. Either way. I think that 94 kicked more than my .45-70. Maybe I'm crazy. The only reason I was sold on the Henry, was because it WASN'T a side load like a Marlin. Due to the power potential of the load. Plus, the salesman said Henry's were being built better than the Marlins anymore. I believe that. So, like you said, stay with an older Marlin for sure. Good luck with finding what you want!
    -NRA Life Member

-Harleys. Mustangs. When in doubt, throttle out!